• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How is ATI doing at the moment compared to NV?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I'm REALLY not trying to start a debate, so please fanboys don't get carried away here. I have a legit question about ATI that I'm hoping will not cause a mess.

I've been following NV for a little while now, but haven't checked up on ATI in quite a while, so I wanted to ask about ATI's latest technology and how it compares to NVs cards. Right now the best NV card is the 8800 Ultra, but what is ATI's answer to the 8800 Ultra? Also, what kinds of benchmarks and tests have been done to compare them? I'm looking to upgrade a computer and immediatly went for NV, but I decided I should check out ATI too since I'm not a fanboy, I just go for whatever I find to be faster, and if ATI has something faster, I definitly wouldn't want to miss out just because I'm too lazy to check up on another brand :p

As far as I know the 2900XT is a good alternative for the 8800GTS, in fact it's a bit better if I recall corectly. Haven't kept a close eye on the benchi's but that were the report right after the release.

I have the HD 2900XT which is the top dog for ATI. It has advantages and disadvantages. I belong to the OC Forums benchmarking team, so I've seen first hand how different vid cards bench on similar computers like my own. The 8800 Ultra generally will outperform the 2900XT in most tests. One notable exception is 3Dmark2005 for some reason. My rig does very well in that benchmark and will often beat similar rigs with 8800 cards (not sure specifically about the Ultra). Most everything else I fall behind though. But, for the price, it's not a bad compromise. What's the ultra run? About $600? For that price it better outperform the competition in most things.

I have the HD 2900XT which is the top dog for ATI. It has advantages and disadvantages. I belong to the OC Forums benchmarking team, so I've seen first hand how different vid cards bench on similar computers like my own. The 8800 Ultra generally will outperform the 2900XT in most tests. One notable exception is 3Dmark2005 for some reason. My rig does very well in that benchmark and will often beat similar rigs with 8800 cards (not sure specifically about the Ultra). Most everything else I fall behind though. But, for the price, it's not a bad compromise. What's the ultra run? About $600? For that price it better outperform the competition in most things.

How far behind is that fall?

hmm...well what about ATI's new cards that are supposed to come out to compete with NVs 9800 series, does anyone know anything about them? I'm guessing not, but the way things are looking, I may just wait for the 9800s to come out so I can get an 8800 cheaper. Although I guess that depends entirely on how much faster ATI and NV's new line of cards are :-/

hmm...well what about ATI's new cards that are supposed to come out to compete with NVs 9800 series, does anyone know anything about them? I'm guessing not, but the way things are looking, I may just wait for the 9800s to come out so I can get an 8800 cheaper. Although I guess that depends entirely on how much faster ATI and NV's new line of cards are :-/

Not worth the wait. I'm playing Bioshock right now and it runs at a solid 60fps. Maybe Crysis will put more of a strain on the card... but somehow I doubt it.

Not worth the wait. I'm playing Bioshock right now and it runs at a solid 60fps. Maybe Crysis will put more of a strain on the card... but somehow I doubt it.

Not worth the wait? Well that really depends, I mean I'm not going to be buying this stuff tomorrow, or even next week. I have to wait until I have a job before I buy anything, and depending on when I get a job also depends on when I'll be able to buy the upgrade. So if the 9800's won't be out until next year, then it's definitly not worth the wait, but if they'll be out in a few months then I may be able to wait for them. But it's good to know that if I end up getting an 8800 Ultra it will still be a kick *** card.

btw, I didn't know bioshock was out for PC too :beer: that's great news for me, since I love cheating, and stupid microsoft's 360 doesn't have a cheat device :mad:

Not worth the wait? Well that really depends, I mean I'm not going to be buying this stuff tomorrow, or even next week. I have to wait until I have a job before I buy anything, and depending on when I get a job also depends on when I'll be able to buy the upgrade. So if the 9800's won't be out until next year, then it's definitly not worth the wait, but if they'll be out in a few months then I may be able to wait for them. But it's good to know that if I end up getting an 8800 Ultra it will still be a kick *** card.

btw, I didn't know bioshock was out for PC too :beer: that's great news for me, since I love cheating, and stupid microsoft's 360 doesn't have a cheat device :mad:

dont cheat on that game.... the fun in it is using all kinds of objects, powers, and items to kill your enemies.

eg: using gun to catch a gas canister on fire, levitate a teddy bear through it and launch it at an enemy coated in fuel :D :D

twisted mind needed for bioshock :D

I'm REALLY not trying to start a debate, so please fanboys don't get carried away here. I have a legit question about ATI that I'm hoping will not cause a mess.

I've been following NV for a little while now, but haven't checked up on ATI in quite a while, so I wanted to ask about ATI's latest technology and how it compares to NVs cards. Right now the best NV card is the 8800 Ultra, but what is ATI's answer to the 8800 Ultra? Also, what kinds of benchmarks and tests have been done to compare them? I'm looking to upgrade a computer and immediatly went for NV, but I decided I should check out ATI too since I'm not a fanboy, I just go for whatever I find to be faster, and if ATI has something faster, I definitly wouldn't want to miss out just because I'm too lazy to check up on another brand :p

The 2900XT and the 8800GTS 640Mb are comparable. ATI doesn't have an answer to the 8800GTX or Ultra.
In a complete turn around NV now has the better IQ as well.

Viper

Crysis with open and destructible environments, foliage that moves and causes shadows, explosions, waves, volumetric clouds, depth of field, etc will probably put out a far bigger strain I think.

Viper pretty much summed it up in regards to the original question.

One notable exception is 3Dmark2005 for some reason. My rig does very well in that benchmark and will often beat similar rigs with 8800 cards (not sure specifically about the Ultra).

ATI cards will almost always own the 3DM05 benchmark scores at default settings. If you hop into your "Way
Back Machine" and dial in late 2004-2005 you will remember the "benchmark specific driver optimizations for
score" mud that ATI and NV were constantly throwing at each other. Well they were both guilty as hell of doing
it and the optimizations that ATI stuck into the drivers for 3DM05 score were never removed from the Catalysts.
They have been there so long they another part of the standard drivers now lol.

I am sure NV probably still has some of those old optimizations in their drivers as well. They just do not stick
out like a "score" thumb, in comparison to all other BM scores a given card produces, like ATI's 3DM05 opti's
still do.

Viper

dont cheat on that game.... the fun in it is using all kinds of objects, powers, and items to kill your enemies.

eg: using gun to catch a gas canister on fire, levitate a teddy bear through it and launch it at an enemy coated in fuel :D :D

twisted mind needed for bioshock :D

I'm sorry, but who are you to tell me what is fun for me? Don't even start a cheat argument with me, you won't win. I'll say this once, if you like challenges, then go ahead and play games without cheating, but don't EVER try to tell me what is fun, when that is all a matter of opinion. I prefer a relaxing gaming experience, and you don't $%#@ing get that kind of gaming experience when your constantly having to worry about dieing or losing. :mad:

I'm sorry, but this is a very sensitive subject for me, and it's best for nobody to respond negative to this.

I guess I'm leaning more towards 8800 ultra now, but I still need to wait for the 9800 series before I make a choice :-/

I'm sorry, but who are you to tell me what is fun for me? Don't even start a cheat argument with me, you won't win. I'll say this once, if you like challenges, then go ahead and play games without cheating, but don't EVER try to tell me what is fun, when that is all a matter of opinion. I prefer a relaxing gaming experience, and you don't $%#@ing get that kind of gaming experience when your constantly having to worry about dieing or losing. :mad:

I'm sorry, but this is a very sensitive subject for me, and it's best for nobody to respond negative to this.

Oh heck I cheat in single player too and for exactly the same reason as you. I like my gaming
to be fun and relaxing...not something that turbo charges my already high blood pressure lol.

Viper

Crysis with open and destructible environments, foliage that moves and causes shadows, explosions, waves, volumetric clouds, depth of field, etc will probably put out a far bigger strain I think.

Viper pretty much summed it up in regards to the original question.

BioShock seem to be pretty easy on the cards...at least the demo is. Can't say I am all that thrilled with BS though.
It seems to be the spawn of a 3 way one night stand between Doom3, FEAR and Dark Messiah Might and Magic lol.

Viper

Diamond released a factory clocked 850mhz core /2ghz DDR4 2900xt 1gig. I wonder how those do in the benches? Its still actually a little cheaper than a standard 8800GTX... at least it is in the stores I order from in Vancouver

OK, you guys are all looking at the “price is no object” segment. However, for some of us that is not what we are going to be buying. Right now, I am looking at getting 2 cards at around $200 each. Looking at newegg, that means either ATI 9500 or Nvidia 8600 cards.

From what I am seeing on google, ATI is doing quite well in that segment.

OK, you guys are all looking at the “price is no object” segment. However, for some of us that is not what we are going to be buying. Right now, I am looking at getting 2 cards at around $200 each. Looking at newegg, that means either ATI 9500 or Nvidia 8600 cards.

From what I am seeing on google, ATI is doing quite well in that segment.

ATI 9500 cards are pretty old, you must mean ATI 2600 cards... those do pretty well in their price segment!

Back