• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who among us has both Intel and AMD rigs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

exactopposite

I'm sure there are other poeple here like myself. I'm a big AMD fan. I check the web every day for news related to AMD. However my main rig is based around a C2D E6600. I still have my 3800 x2 939 rig, but it's being used as a media server right now. When i decided to build a new rig a while back, intel had a big performance lead so that's what I went with. It still feels kind of wierd having an intel rig, but it was what made sense (to me) to buy at the time performane wise.

Like the rest of us here, I'm really rooting for AMD. I hope the b3 stepping of k10 has the bugs worked out, and that the transition to 45 nm goes smooth. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new mobile platform has to offer. I just also happen to own an intel system.

So who else out there is in a similar situation?

Last edited:
I just built my Wife a new Computer, retiring the last functioning AMD rig in the house. I used to be a total AMD fanboy, but in the last year, AMD had really gotten their collect butt kicked by Intel. AMD sufferes from bad business decisions, and has shot itself in the foot enough times that I have jumped ship.

Unless I see something truly earth shaking form AMD, I'm with Intel now. I'm not a fan of "big brother" but they put out the better product.

I do run an AMD x2 at work, and my In laws computer is an X2 system. I don't think they are bad, they just aren't as capable as the C2D, and it looks like AMD simply can't compete in the quad core market.

I used to run a P4 2.6C in a shuttle rig as my main PC, then upgraded to a A64 3500+ Venice as my main rig, which is where I currently sit. I also have a C2D laptop, but that is mainly used during lanparties, not as my main rig. I am planning on going back to an Intel rig in the coming months as my primary rig. I have switched back and forth, depending on who is the performance king at the time. Then only era I skipped was the P4/AXP era. During that time, I went with the P4, just because I got a free board, and just had to buy the processor.

got several intel desktops 5 intel notebooks. 1 PIII and i think 3 P4s that are old but the sony vaio. even at that the sony is getting very slow.

and the fastest rig of them all is my AMD. 4-5 computers at my old mans office are AMD. last i built for him was a am2 3800+ with a raptor.
he now loves the raptors. lol.

I'm sure there are other poeple here like myself. I'm a big AMD fan. I check the web every day for news related to AMD. However my main rig is based around a C2D E6600. I still have my 3800 x2 939 rig, but it's being used as a media server right now. When i decided to build a new rig a while back, intel had a big performance lead so that's what I went with. It still feels kind of wierd having an intel rig, but it was what made sense (to me) to buy at the time performane wise.

Like the rest of us here, I'm really rooting for AMD. I hope the b3 stepping of k10 has the bugs worked out, and that the transition to 45 nm goes smooth. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new mobile platform has to offer. I just also happen to own an intel system.

So who else out there is in a similar situation?

I Athlon 900 system,2 S939 X2 systems,one AM2+ Phenom system,one S478 P4 system,and 1 S775 Q6600 system in sig.

I have ...

Am2 Black 5000+
939 3200+
478 P4 2.8C
478 Celeron 2.6
A 2500+ Barton
A 1800+

I only ever use the P4 and the AM2 anymore (P4 is my "Work" machine). The rest is sitting in a pile in the closet or has been put onto the wall as "Modern Art".

I do, and plan on building both in the future. Building Intel for folding and AMD for gaming.

I like AMD more (even though they are behind right now) but we have rigs sporting procs from each company.

Wifes desktop is intel C2D (she won't let me OC it anymore so it is back to stock)

An intel laptop (another one the wife uses more then me)

An old P4 rig that is being used for storage.

My main rig (this one) is X2

I have an old 939 3200+ that I toy with regularly to test different things like new WC components.

An old socket A with a 2200+ that is also used to toy with and for storage (but doesn't get turned on very often anymore)

And finally my turion lappy that I rarely use except for travel.

Working on a new gaming rig that will be AMD based (waiting for B3 phenoms first though unless the new BEs show to be great OCers, that might change my mind)

Well that rounds out every computer that we have right now.

i have 4 am2 comps here and 1 lonley intel chip computer its a 567 mhz celron lol i did have a p4 chip but i just sold that thing and really to be honst the celron is on its way to a needy family in the area

i do still have a box i got that has about 10 intel mobo socket 370 that im trying to figure out what to do with all have cpu's ranging from 500-800 mhz
they will prob end up being donated to other familys in need

mines intel.. and the missis has my old amd.. soon to be upgraded by my old intel.. then the amd will go to work at my studio

Back