• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone clear up some confusion about a cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok here is what to change and i will list why, hope it helps...
after a quick google search and looking at the bios this is what you need to change
ok follow me from here
http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41
go to Advanced->jumper free config->a.i tuning(set to manual). that should now allow you to change the fsb and voltage settings. from here change (follow pic4 of the bios screen)
set
CPU SPEED (266 right now to 333) <-this changes the cpus fsb from stock 1066/266 to 1333/333
DRAM (from auto to 800) <- this makes sure your ram is run in spec or below while overclocking, in your case you only want it at spec since your not ocing much.
PCIE (auto to 101mhz) <- no all mobo correctly lock the pcie speed at 100mhz, so i and many suggest locking at 101 instead.
PCI CLOCK SYNC MODE (auto to 33.33)<- here agian the same reason as above. if you oc to far the pci buss gets out of wack so locking it at 33.33mhz is highly suggested.
memory voltage(auto to what ever your ram says it needs, so if it say 1.9v set it to 1.9v.)
cpu voltage core(auto to 1.35) 1.35 volts is the max recommended on the box for just 3ghz i would suggest that. even though your cpu may only need voltage on auto you just never know. test it both ways and see what happens...
NB voltage core should be left at auto. <-handles the fsb and comm of cpu-ram-gpu-sb. in many cases when pushing for higher fsb's you need to up the NB voltage. in your case 333mhz is not something you need to worry about upping this voltage for.
SB voltage left at auto agian. this handles data from SATA to NB this never needs to be upped at all from what i have tested. many still up the voltage one notch just to make sure.
what i listed is what needs to be changed but i also listed parts of the bios that need to be paided attention to.

p.s. its never a waste of time as long as the person is willing to try to figure it out. :) :beer:

*edit*
Im I retarded? I thought DDR2 was FSB X2??

its is till you start messing with ram ratios/ram dividers. take my board for instance, the ram ratios are multipliers. making at stock 266 1:1 or just 1 makes for DDR2-533 speed. at 1:1.25 or 1.25 you would take 1.25*266=332.5, then 332.5*2=DDR2-665. then so on by the ratios and dividers, now if your one with a NV based board you can unlock the ram from those ratios/dividers. then you can set the ram speed to what ever you want and not have to worry about ram speed. though at certian fsb speeds there are ratio holes, meanning that that board cant make a ratios to keep the ram at the set speed.

Last edited:
its is till you start messing with ram ratios/ram dividers. take my board for instance, the ram ratios are multipliers. making at stock 266 1:1 or just 1 makes for DDR2-533 speed. at 1:1.25 or 1.25 you would take 1.25*266=332.5, then 332.5*2=DDR2-665. then so on by the ratios and dividers, now if your one with a NV based board you can unlock the ram from those ratios/dividers. then you can set the ram speed to what ever you want and not have to worry about ram speed. though at certian fsb speeds there are ratio holes, meanning that that board cant make a ratios to keep the ram at the set speed.

So you were refering to his ram with a 1:2 divider?

Thanks for the instructions and explantions, the only thing I didn't quit understand is
"memory voltage(auto to what ever your ram says it needs, so if it say 1.9v set it to 1.9v.)"

my memory is
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400

I understand I would have to go to Consair's site to get the info but I don't see anywhere on the site where it tells me what voltage my memory needs .

I found it
DDR2-800 (XMS2-6400C5)

Tested Settings for this Module: Speed: 800MHz Latency: 5-5-5-18-2T Voltage: 1.9

After I make these changes in my bios and ( if ) I can boot what do I need to watch to make sure the overclock is stable???

I found it
DDR2-800 (XMS2-6400C5)

Tested Settings for this Module: Speed: 800MHz Latency: 5-5-5-18-2T Voltage: 1.9

After I make these changes in my bios and ( if ) I can boot what do I need to watch to make sure the overclock is stable???

google "orthos" run that for a while. if the system "locks" or "hangs" or "bsods" then voltage to the cpu needs to be up. if the system never boots but just blank screen the the nb with cpu voltage may need to be upped.

Karkas,
im not sure what your tring to say... i was just tring to tell him what to set his ram speed to while at 333mhz fsb.

I found it
DDR2-800 (XMS2-6400C5)

You need to watch your temperatures to make sure you aren't running too hot (shouldn't be a problem since you didn't raise your CPU temp).

TO check stability you need to run programs like prime 95 & orthos etc.

Links to those porgrams can be found in this thread... http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

Karkas,
im not sure what your tring to say... i was just tring to tell him what to set his ram speed to while at 333mhz fsb.

You said
RAM is 200 x4 = 800. So if you move the FSB up by 10MHz.. You will add 40 to your RAM. 210 on the FSB would make your RAM run at 840, instead of 800.

I did not take this as a refence to memory dividers, I thought you were just refering to the fact that DDR2 normally runs at twice the FSB.

If we are going to chatter about the fun aspects of overclocking. Can we make sure the new guy/gal understands what is going on? So we don't cornfuse the member.

It is one thing that happens alot. That the thread gets complicated and makes it hard to keep up.

So if we chatter. Lets explain what we are doing (talking about) as we chatter about it.

Giving super basic concepts. Even if the math is not on mark. Lets give the reasons behind the math. So as to not confuse the new member. Keeping the steps modular.

:D larkas. You seem to be versed at this. So your newness onsite is not a factor.

OK I did everything and it booted and it's running about the same as it always did as far as being stable.

I ran some of the monitor utilities that were suggested and you can see the screenshots here

http://www.eaglepi.com/oc.html

I notice it keeps going back and forth from 6X to 9X can someone explain what that is all about and also is my system running at 3.0 now?

Thanks again for all the help

I notice it keeps going back and forth from 6X to 9X can someone explain what that is all about and also is my system running at 3.0 now?

That is because Speedstep is enabled. It is a power saving feature that will slow down your processor when it's not being used in an effort to save power. If it doesn't harm the stability of your overclock then I suggest leaving it on.

You said

I did not take this as a refence to memory dividers, I thought you were just refering to the fact that DDR2 normally runs at twice the FSB.

ok now click that "blue" arrow, which takes you to the post you quoted. that post takes me to post number 25. which says nothing of the sort.... just fyi one thing i hate is people putting false info into a quote and making it out like i actually said that when i didnt. BTW from your post #22 you quoted where i was talking about ratios. in that post i said take my board for instance in that example.

OK I did everything and it booted and it's running about the same as it always did as far as being stable.

I ran some of the monitor utilities that were suggested and you can see the screenshots here

http://www.eaglepi.com/oc.html

Thanks again for all the help
that is EIST function it slows the cpu down when idle so the computer uses less power. that feature can be disabled in the cpu section of the bios that lists speed an such(EIST or SPEEDSTEP).

That's what I thought was strange it is set to 333

On the DRAM there was no 800 in the dropdown so I set it to 833 does that affect it?

That's what I thought was strange it is set to 333

On the DRAM there was no 800 in the dropdown so I set it to 833 does that affect it?

yea thats close enough its not going to cause issues with the ram. in that case since it showing a lower fsb up it 1 or 2 more mhz till you see 333 in cpuz. :beer:

I bumped the FBS to 336 and now I see in cpuz 3024.02

Ok guys thanks very much for helping me.:beer::beer:

Last edited:
Evilsizer, please accept my humblist of apologies, I confused you with Enablingwolf here...:beer:
It gets fuzzy when you have to adjust the memory. But the math is not all that hard. RAM is 200 x4 = 800. So if you move the FSB up by 10MHz.. You will add 40 to your RAM. 210 on the FSB would make your RAM run at 840, instead of 800.

When you replied later it threw me off what with your names looking so similar in stars & color.

You did not say that, Enablingwolf did.

:bang headKarkas <--- :screwy:

That is because Speedstep is enabled. It is a power saving feature that will slow down your processor when it's not being used in an effort to save power. If it doesn't harm the stability of your overclock then I suggest leaving it on.

Actually in not pushing the CPU cases yes it won't effect stability. Its quiet a nice feature IMO. But if your pushing the CPU to the edge yes it can effect the stability of it. We won't have to worry about it in this case but just for future reference.

I guess I should have asked what temps are considered OK and at what temp do I become concerned. My system seems faster which was the idea right :)

I guess that I took the plunge and overclocked I should spend a little money and buy a better cpu cooler. I know there is a cooling forum but rather than get a bunch of new opinions I thought I would ask the ones that helped me, which cpu cooler would you suggest?

Thanks again

Back