• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad news for Crysis 2 :\

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is almost no difference between Enthusiast and Hardcore .... not even close to worth the near 20 fps loss. Seems to hold the same trend as the old Crysis games; give users false sense of 'needing' upgrades for the 'best' settings.

But maybe the final build would be better optimized and/or contain more visuals that aren't present in this one.

It has already been established that right now, that Crysis 2 build does not run DX11. That alone will most likely be a big upgrade in visuals.

Going back to what Neil Gaiman says in regards to his experience of piracy of his copyrighted works, I would say that I have to agree with him. I will give an example.

Back in 2009 I was given a pirated version of the game The Witcher. I had never even heard of the game, much less made a decision to purchase or not purchase it. Long story short, I played a bit of it and it was really good. This led me to looking up information about the game and I was able to see that there were some things that I was missing that come with the full game. I then went onto Steam and purchased the full game and had no problems with spending that money. In fact, I was so impressed with the game that I have pre-ordered The Witcher 2 already.

Maybe I am the exception that proves the rule in this regards, I don't know. But I can say that without this specific incident of piracy, the producers of the game would have lost out on two sales.

I expected the opposite? People here are defending the very company that blamed something that was not our fault that is now our fault?

8VYP

You see how Crytek and EA both feel it is the PC piracy's fault. It was released in house.

8VYR

8VYU

This last one is very interesting. They obviously can tell who leaked it, they obviously can tell what machine it came from. They know they screwed up. There own employee uploaded it to a torrent site. If you hold out a piece of candy, do you think every child would ignore it? Especially if your dangling candy that people have been wanting for years?

8VYZ

Lastly, have the three previous major leaks (affecting id, Epic Games, and Valve), bitten *any* of these development houses to a great degree?

Last edited:
I don't know, but I don't like this, as others have said, it affects the PC industry, I don't know what was the idea behind it. But there are tons of possibilities.

Not limited to

Crytek wants to stop making games for PC, so they release a beta version to make big fuzz, whine about it and say PC is not a profitable console so they stop.

Crytek employee wants to do damage just for fun. (Highly unlikely)

People behind the courtains orchestrate this big mess to discredit PC industry once and for all and make games console based. (Highly unlikely as more effort than this would be needed)

Crytek employee got careless and got robbed of the game. (Mission impossible... right)

Blah blah, room for more. In the end we get screw up. Let's demonstrate the industry and pirates they're wrong.

I don't know, but I don't like this, as others have said, it affects the PC industry, I don't know what was the idea behind it. But there are tons of possibilities.

Not limited to

Crytek wants to stop making games for PC, so they release a beta version to make big fuzz, whine about it and say PC is not a profitable console so they stop.

Crytek employee wants to do damage just for fun. (Highly unlikely)

People behind the courtains orchestrate this big mess to discredit PC industry once and for all and make games console based. (Highly unlikely as more effort than this would be needed)

Crytek employee got careless and got robbed of the game. (Mission impossible... right)

Blah blah, room for more. In the end we get screw up. Let's demonstrate the industry and pirates they're wrong.

Marketing move maybe?

Have you heard about crysis 2?
No?!
Yea the game leaked before release but it sucks balls so you gotta buy the game to have the kool stuff.
Oh ****z! Ima try it....

Let's see that as a nice demo.

Yeah, since there hasn't been a lot of media fuzz, you can say that the possibilities for it t obe marketing strategy on a world where pirating is real and sadly common. You can say it probably is like that. Besides, the version is beta, but, can you believe that a beta has, presets, bad sound, couple of options crippled and be called beta? Sound more like a marketing strategy fitted for this era of reality. If this is true, it means Crytek has accepted piracy as real, and are taking advantage of it.

This was no marketing strategy lmao.

The leak contains the masterkey to the cryengine3, and various other dev tools.

The version is in Beta. A "master key"? Really? Do you really think its hard to change the "master key" in the next beta release? Next beta, the key is changed. Yeah, people can still play the old beta, but play online on servers AFTER release? Thats the biggest bunch of BS Ive ever heard.

The ONLY reason why I could believe its marketing is because of this "master key" talk. Come on now... Why would they release to the media that they have a master key that got leaked OH NO!

How many betas have you been able to play online AFTER the release of the game (or much less, after the beta period). Itll be changed. Devtools? Those get leaked out regardless even after final release so who really cares.

exactly the most DRM they will use is probably a CD key backed with a algoritm they can change with every release of a patched DVD and in downloaded patches to prevent crackers fom using the cracked version more than one patch period(untill the game is no longer supported and no more patches are made)

I find it hard to believe that a pirate was able to do that on his own... From what I know about company security, they work on separate parts and when it's soon the release, they put all the stuff together.
In my fathers company they have private networks (physically private - no one can have access to it from the outside), every employees work on their own stuff so if there's a leak it is pretty easy to know who did it!
I highly doubt it is not the case for EA... When you're working on something of 100millions, investing a bit in security is a must!

We'll see if it's really planned or a mistake, depending on what happens after release.

If they release it with some nasty new form of DRM like requiring to be online to play single player and being very hard to crack, then it's likely been in the works before the leak happened since it's not easy to just slap that kind of protection in the game right at the last moment.

But the graphics aren't as mediocre as I thought. Watched some youtube videos and it runs pretty well on a 5850 while looking significantly better than the average console port, on 'HighSpec' in DX9. Not the best visuals for a PC game, but not bad for a multi-platform game in beta. DX11 should bring better performance and new visual settings, but then again with those new settings maxed the performance would likely be lower than DX9 maxed. Which can still be optimized by tweaking.

With it being as "Gimped" as it is I say this is a controlled release. The Master Key BS You can change that in a matter of hours.

It is called hyping the release.

Would be funny if they leaked it and they have different events/game play for the leaked version so when people post about issues they know they have a leaked copy.

Though the settings above in the pictures, the water fountain/ocean is what I noticed. Otherwise its probably some AF, AA settings along with particle settings and maybe god rays.

Guys, you're already on a pretty fine line in this thread. I had to delete a couple posts above. Please refrain from discussion of any attempt to obtain the leaked game or talk of software piracy in general. Please see this section of our rules, which explains in detail why we are so strict on this subject. In the broadest sense, it endangers the forum's existence.

So please keep that in mind as this thread goes forward. I'll now be subscribed and keeping an eye out to ensure the line doesn't get crossed. Thanks for understanding.

-hokie

EDIT - Another moderator saw a typed reference to a piracy site. That is far more egregious than mentioning piracy in general as it was above. I shouldn't have to say this, but do NOT -never, ever- mention a place where people can download pirated software. This is the only warning anyone in this thread will get on that count.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Everyone will need to know how to use pliers if they want to continue to post :p After being here for almost 5 years I know how to use them in sensitive topics like this.

Let the pliers roll!

On Topic:

Marketing move maybe?

Have you heard about crysis 2?
No?!
Yea the game leaked before release but it sucks balls so you gotta buy the game to have the kool stuff.
Oh ****z! Ima try it....

Let's see that as a nice demo.

Sounds about right, it concords with Neil Gaiman way of thinking which is intelligent based on the current results on the war against piracy. If you can't beat them...

I also got to see on a video website the menu of this leak. The graphical presets kinda made it obvious that it was purposely configured like that. Or are you gonna tell me a version from almost a month before release is going to have magical presets instead of some configurations options o_0... really? I don't think so.

I think the marketing trend is moving to a new era, an era of reality. Let's sit back and see what happens in the end.

As for this game, I don't know if I'll buy it or not, I want to see what happened on the island, I'm tired of seeing New York in movies and games already.

I wonder how much they will Cry..tek when they find out there 360 version is cracked after release... At least some of the comments seem to encourage Crytek. I wish they would stop focusing on PC pirating so much, its really not as bad as they make it out to be. Pirating is bad period.

The master key should be easy enough to change as long as the game has not been shipped yet. As reports indicate it is an older beta I would guess they probably were going to change anyways.

There is a small part of me that thinks that crytek purposefully released this so that they could say "oh look at what the PC pirates did we are pulling all support from this game". They have been grouchy enough when they sold 3 million copies on the PC alone.

Another DRM/piracy success story.

Pretty much all of the big video game devs/publishers are winy idiots, to the point where I wonder if it's just them being really bad at being corrupt.

It is highly unfortunate that something like this would happen. But there are a few things that come to mind:

- It is said that it is a late Beta. You are going to run into some issues, and you are ruining the gaming experience for yourself.

- The mass public (people who actually buy the games), will not download a torrent like this, or probably don't know how to torrent. So there should be very little hit to the game's revenue.

- This could be an inside effort to hype Crysis 2 on gaming and non-gaming websites. The news generated by an "incident" will eclipse the actual damage created by people who would torrent the game ANYWAY.

- News to gaming / tech website extends beyond PC gaming, to PS3 and Xbox owners, which make up a far greater sales figures than of PC gamers.

- MARKET GENIUS if you ask me.

So its not that sad news IMO, and my message to "opportunists"; "I'll get to enjoy the fresh smell of the DVD/Case as I install the game, without exposing my computer or my mac address to software harm and lawsuits. Within minutes, while I have a pizza in the microwave and serve myself a cold icy pepsi drink, I will have entered my code and will be online with friends and coworkers having some fun - instead of scouring trying to find fixes to "bugs" that are obviously stemmed from a pirate crack/copy.

Back