• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 590 Dual GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One reason why they couldn't make it 6GB is because that extra memory significantly increases power draw. So to stay within 300W TDP they'd have to underclock it even more than what is currently planned for the 3GB card.

Still, there could be 3rd party custom cards with more ram.

I'll stop speculations :p

I read somewhere that two GF114 were going to be used as the card is too power hungry.
Whatever! Let's way it to be released!

I hear a lot about the power constraints of the pcie being the major issue with video cards esp the speculation around the 590. I was thinking that considering that pretty much all high end cards are dual slot solutions to be able to have enough cooling, would it be completely insane to use some sort of riser card that is built into the video card that is a pcie 1x (to ensure it fits in pretty much all mobo's) to plug into the pcie slot that the thing is going to be covering anyway to go beyond the pcie power constraints?

I hear a lot about the power constraints of the pcie being the major issue with video cards esp the speculation around the 590. I was thinking that considering that pretty much all high end cards are dual slot solutions to be able to have enough cooling, would it be completely insane to use some sort of riser card that is built into the video card that is a pcie 1x (to ensure it fits in pretty much all mobo's) to plug into the pcie slot that the thing is going to be covering anyway to go beyond the pcie power constraints?

Clever- but many boards have PCIE pci PCIE pci, not many boards have all PCIE sequential slots.

Eh, they could make a flexible one like they did with sli connectors, of course more heavy duty due to the current but still in the same ballpark. I don't know enough about the workings of Pcie slots, so I don't know if such a thing would cause a short. Though I'm fairly certain there'd be some sort of on board circut solution that could be intiegrated into the video card to alievate that risk.

Not that a lot of people would be running them in sli. Though I know some people do, to make a quad but that being the case for the most part they are running massive extreme mobo's that have an access of slots, generally designed to deal with triple sli anyway, so there should be a couple of spare pciex1 or similar they could plug into.

Wonder if something like this could be done in such a way that it could use pcie or just a normal pci to function. (Again, pulling this out of my arse and I'll be the first one to state my lack of knowledge as to how the pcie and pci slots work from a technical standpoint)

If that was the case even on my teeny board it would be possible to run 2x 590's (if designed in said manner) That are not underclocked due to power constraints as quad sli.

Last edited:
I can't wait for this card to release. I remember the level of excitement when the gtx295 came out and how good it was despite the heat released by that monster. I'm wondering how this will compare to its fellow 500 series cards the same way the 295 compared to its 200 series brothers

Interesting idea.

I've often wondered what the PCIe power limitation is anyway...
These cards already have dual 8 pin connectors. Why can't they just add a 3rd (or 4th :shock:) connector?

I mean what is it that requires them to stick with 300watts??

Looks like it's gonna be two 580's, which is pretty exciting to keep Nvidia on top this time unlike when the 5970 was released.

As for the power connectors, what they really need to do is have an 8 pin and two 6 pins, or two 8's and a 6, that way it won't be crapping out with a 50mhz overclock.

As for the power connectors, what they really need to do is have an 8 pin and two 6 pins, or two 8's and a 6, that way it won't be crapping out with a 50mhz overclock.

Why not three 6 pins like the gtx285 classified?

I've had the gtx285 along with an i7 @ 4.0 draw 600w+

Why not three 6 pins like the gtx285 classified?

I've had the gtx285 along with an i7 @ 4.0 draw 600w+

Well three 6 pins will still leave you with 300w. As it is, two 8 pins is going to get you 275w so thats not much improvement. Nah, two 8's and a 6 pin for 350w.

That kinda makes me believe it's not a legit pic, but who knows :confused:

There is an option for 6x GPU submissions on the bot, but no GPU config that I know of can have 6 cores.

Back