• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Crysis 2 Benchmarks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NOVAA

First Crysis 2 benchmarks are out, Techspot used the leaked version to run a couple benchmarks with a variety of different cards, and well, you can check out the results for yourself.

http://www.techspot.com/review/367-crysis2-beta-performance/

Say what you will about Crytek selling out to the console crowd and not pushing things, you may have a point. But at the same time, I'm glad to see the game still looking great (Don't think thats up for debate), and also seeing that the game can look great, while a midrange 560ti pushes "hardcore" quality at 1920*1200, and gets 45fps. Yeah its a leaked beta, yeah its only dx9, but still. Say its only medium quality, what midrange gpu's could run the original Crysis that well at launch? Pretty much none of them.

Sure it would've been awesome to see how far Crytek could push their engine again with the new slew of hardware, but then again its also nice to be able to play the game yourself, and not ogle over gameplay videos from someone else, plotting out your next upgrade.

Rubbish... they don't test the 5970!!

They didn't test my 480 either, but I know its roughly equal to the 570, so I'm looking at about 57 fps with these settings. That gives me about 20 fps of headroom for enabling higher end settings (DX11 hopefully) while still maintaining some decent 30-40 fps playability. Good news as far as I'm concerned.

And as for your 5970 lol, its still the best on the planet, and I'm sure Crytek worked hard to improve multi-gpu scaling with their new engine. Only problem is the 1Gb framebuffer is probably gonna hit you hard at anything past 1080p, wish they would've done a direct comparison between the 6950 1/2GB models, so we could see how much of a hit you take at all resolutions

so much for a 560 can run it @ max

@ 2560 max settings it looks like Sli 580's to be safe imo

What you talking about I could run Crysis when released on my 8800GT at nearly cranked settings. Though ti was at 1280x720 or one notch about that 1440x900

What you talking about I could run Crysis when released on my 8800GT at nearly cranked settings. Though ti was at 1280x720 or one notch about that 1440x900

well I was talking about playable settings like 1980x1080++ I could be wrong but Im guessing not many people want to play at 1280x720

well I was talking about playable settings like 1980x1080++ I could be wrong but Im guessing not many people want to play at 1280x720

Well playable would be 1680x1050... but to each there own.

Course I wanted to run it at high res but... I wanted my graphics so I cranked it up the graphics and turned down the res to become playable.

I still have problems running at max settings with my setup haha. Ok not problems but the fps isnt too high. I average like 45-50 fps using max settings 1920x1200 4 AA.

Yeah but-

a- Those aren't exactly a whole lot of pixels you were pushing..

and

b- I don't think the 8800gt was what I atleast would consider "mid range" back then, correct me if I'm wrong but it was around $300+, that to me is high end. The 560Ti on the other hand is right around $250, its on the very end of midranged, but I'd still say it fits into that price segment more than the 8800gt did.

Yeah but-

and

b- I don't think the 8800gt was what I atleast would consider "mid range" back then, correct me if I'm wrong but it was around $300+, that to me is high end. The 560Ti on the other hand is right around $250, its on the very end of midranged, but I'd still say it fits into that price segment more than the 8800gt did.

the 8800 GTX was high end and the hard to find 8800 Ultra was the 580 of its day.

side note My mother is using my old Dell XPS with Sli 8800 Ultra's for AOL and Facebook lol
and my work partner is using my old qx9650 with tri 280's for MS office hehehe

the 8800 GTX was high end and the hard to find 8800 Ultra was the 580 of its day.

side note My mother is using my old Dell XPS with Sli 8800 Ultra's for AOL and Facebook lol
and my work partner is using my old qx9650 with tri 280's for MS office hehehe

Yeah I didn't forget about those cards either, 8800 GTX and Ultra were definetly enthusiast grade bleeding, but if I remember the prices on the new 8800gt's, I think they qualified as well.

Oh and can you say overkill? Old components of yours?

Yeah but-

and

A) Yeah but you also had to look at most screens back then. Still 1680x1050 was more of a common screen res back then where as today 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 seems to be more common.

B) As well for the 8800GT got it for $200ish if not mistaken, maybe a little less. I know I didn't spend an arm and a leg on it like I did with a previous card. Though I don't think many cards went into the $500 region on then so it might of been considered low upper end card.

Here one guy got a 8800GT for $230 back in Oct of 2007.
http://www.eq2-daily.com/discuss/yaf_postst6_NVIDIAs-new-midrange-card-8800GT.aspx
MSRP when released was $250 in October of 2007

A) Yeah but you also had to look at most screens back then. Still 1680x1050 was more of a common screen res back then where as today 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 seems to be more common.

B) As well for the 8800GT got it for $200ish if not mistaken, maybe a little less. I know I didn't spend an arm and a leg on it like I did with a previous card. Though I don't think many cards went into the $500 region on then so it might of been considered low upper end card.

Here one guy got a 8800GT for $230 back in Oct of 2007.
http://www.eq2-daily.com/discuss/yaf_postst6_NVIDIAs-new-midrange-card-8800GT.aspx
MSRP when released was $250 in October of 2007

Looked it up, between $200 and $250 at launch, your right.

Bottom line however is, I think as we all expected, Crysis 2 isn't the graphics ***** that Crysis was, I think its better optimized AND pushes hardware less than the original. Thats not to say that it'll look bad lol, but with BF3, The Witcher 2, and Skyrim coming out this year, it might not retain its title of best graphics for very long, if at all. Which is good and bad, take it as you want, but I for one am pretty pleased in knowing that I'll be able to get it up and running very smoothly at launch on my 480.

Heh, when Crysis came out I tried running it on my overclocked X1950XT on high at 1440*900, I remember chopping out a couple things so it ran nice and smooth while looking excellent... better that most modern games... my 4890 are bored.

Aside from DX11 features, it seems like a GTX 570/RHD 6970 will be able to max it out at 1920x1080 with 4x AA at playable fps. As for 2560x1600... very few people even run that resolution and the ones that do, already know that they need (or already have) a good SLI/Crossfire setup. Notice how Crysis 2 is coming out around the same time that NV and AMD's dual-GPU cards will release.

Still remains to be seen how well they implement tessellation, if it actually gives a significant improvement in visuals without reducing performance too much. The final maxed out results in DX11 will heavily depend on this; proper tessellation optimization. So I wouldn't be too surprised if they overdo tessellation to the point where you need one of the upcoming new dual-GPU cards for max settings + all DX11 features enabled at 1920x1080 or above.

Aside from DX11 features, it seems like a GTX 570/RHD 6970 will be able to max it out at 1920x1080 with 4x AA at playable fps. As for 2560x1600... very few people even run that resolution and the ones that do, already know that they need (or already have) a good SLI/Crossfire setup. Notice how Crysis 2 is coming out around the same time that NV and AMD's dual-GPU cards will release.

Still remains to be seen how well they implement tessellation, if it actually gives a significant improvement in visuals without reducing performance too much. The final maxed out results in DX11 will heavily depend on this; proper tessellation optimization. So I wouldn't be too surprised if they overdo tessellation to the point where you need one of the upcoming new dual-GPU cards for max settings + all DX11 features enabled at 1920x1080 or above.

I would say 570/6970 is borderline with AA However they tested everything stock. at 56/58 fps without AA it would be below 60fps for sure and min frame could be horrid but Its still beta so maybe they will optimize more.

I would say 570/6970 is borderline with AA However they tested everything stock. at 56/58 fps without AA it would be below 60fps for sure and min frame could be horrid but Its still beta so maybe they will optimize more.

Yeah but if its like the original Crysis, the way they did the engine IMO 30 FPS still made the game look great.

Back