• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking Phenom II X2 555 BE problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trokmo

I'm trying to unlock the four cores for Phenom II X2 555 BE with M4A87TD/USB3. Conveniently enough, it has a simple core unlocker. Windows starts up just fine and there are no graphical glitches, BSOD or anything. The problems is that no applications can start. I can't start Chrome, Steam, or just about anything. All I get is "X has stopped working".

I'm a complete novice with these things, so am I doing something incredibly obvious wrong or what could be the problem?

Unlocking is a completely random thing, and doesn't work on every cpu. Essentially the cpu used to be a 4 core but one was locked because it was unstable. So in essence, even if you can unlock the fourth core, that doesn't mean you can use it.

Go for unlocking it to 3 cores first, and see if it is stable. Have you done any overclocking to it yet? Try one or the other, OC or unlocked cores. Mine will unlock just fine to 4 cores, but with all 4 unlocked, my OC potential is diminished. As stated before, it is random and a gamble at best. Chances are it was a x4 that didn't make the cut, or a surplus x4 that was locked down to meet a x2 shipment quota. But most likely it was faulty in some way.

Go for all of them. The 45nm process that Amd has is pretty dang far along. I haven't seen an unstable unlock in months (or people just haven't posted them). Regardless, just turn ACC to auto and one other thing to Hybrid that I can't remember. Lol The 555 actually has a high change of unlocking than any of the 3 core processors.

The new AMD chipsets don't have ACC anymore, and that includes M4A87TD/USB3. It's simplified to only have a core unlocker. I did try unlock just the 3rd core and just the 4th core, but to no avail. Trying to check the stability with Prime95 isn't working since it crashes immediately. Strangely enough, the cores are indeed unlocked. I can start CPU-Z and it indeed shows four cores unlocked and the name has changed to X4 B55. So the only problem I have is most programs crashing. Is it just the sign of the cores being unstable or something else?

Last edited:
Back