• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB SATA 6.0Gb/s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gigabit

Im seriously considering getting 2 of these Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache.Because they are $69.99 shipped right now and run them in a raid 0..Anyone think these are still worth it .Im thinking of replacing my 1 TB Cavair Black with the two of them .Any thoughts ?Or should i just grab another Corsair F3 and Raid them and keep my 1TB HD.

Do you need the speed for what I'm guessing is just a storage drive?

I would stick with the SSDs. No sense in going back a tech level when you already have space.

SSD is faster for sure but even using it mainly as a Boot drive it fills up so fast.So i was thinking a couple raptors for boot in raid 0. :D More space and decent speed till i can afford a 480 GB SSD

velociraptors are so 2009, bro.
:rofl: for sure .But still decent boot drive.

I just cant get the SSD and 1TB drives setup so that everything loads to the HD while keeping the SSD as Boot drive only

velociraptors are so 2009, bro.
lol

Why not sell your 120GB SSD: +~ $60
Not buy the Raptors: + $140

And add in another $100 to get the 480GB. I just don't see buying old tech as that much of a stop-gap. The raptors will have basically no resell value when you go for the 480GB SSD, so you will just be adding their cost to the ssd cost.

velociraptors in raid 0 with see higher sequential operations than ssd but about 100x longer random access.

if you have never used an ssd, i guarantee that you will notice a big difference with that random access speed from a single ssd versus raid0 hdd.

i would recommend a 120GB ssd for boot with some wd cav black in raid 0 if you need the sequential speed for specific apps.

the main advantage that a vr hdd has over a cav black hdd is random access which ssd blows away completely making velociraptors obsolete tech.

i recall reading somewhere a while back that cav black drives actually outperform velociraptors in sequential ops.

edit: just noticed your sig that u have an ssd

velociraptors in raid 0 with see higher sequential operations than ssd but about 100x longer random access.

if you have never used an ssd, i guarantee that you will notice a big difference with that random access speed from a single ssd versus raid0 hdd.

i would recommend a 120GB ssd for boot with some wd cav black in raid 0 if you need the sequential speed for specific apps.

the main advantage that a vr hdd has over a cav black hdd is random access which ssd blows away completely making velociraptors obsolete tech.

i recall reading somewhere a while back that cav black drives actually outperform velociraptors in sequential ops.

edit: just noticed your sig that u have an ssd
Thanks Guys saved me from making a stupid move.I think ill get another F3 120GB for now raid them up for a little more space on the boot drive and just keep the 1TB for storage for now.

Or ill sell the F3 and get a 256 GB M4.But either way no VR's for me

there are known problems with raid0 ssd, no trim, i'm not sure if its been fixed yet.
better off saving up the cash and getting a single larger capacity ssd than doing ssd raid.
or you could set them up as separate drives if you need the capacity, there will be little real world performance difference between a raid0 array and a single ssd.

I currently run a Raid 0 of 256gb Agility 4 SSD and they perform really weel for the price. I paid 150 for the first one and 110 the second one. For 260$ i have 460gb or Raid 0 SSD to install windows, games and apps. TRIM now works with newer Z77 ( i know P67 can be tweaked to have trim working too ) and Raid, windows also show it as running on my X79 with all latest RSTe but nothing really tell me its running. But in the end, lots of newer SSD have builth in garbage collection and work NM if you raid or not. OCZ techsupport confirmed me that the agility4 and Vertex 4 can handle themself withotu TRIM. Corsair performance pro and Plextor M5 pro can handle themself too with trim. I dont know for other SSDs. These are the one i know that can handle themself.

I had Vraptor in the past and even my good old X25-M 80gb is way faster at 24/7 use VS my Vraptor. ( i still have it ;) )

Back