• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 470 Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodogs5

Hey guys, I have had my GTX 470 overclocked since I bought it a few months ago, currently my core is at 800 shader at 1600 and memory at 1800 while the voltage was at 1.025. I tested it in MSI Kombustor for about 30 minutes without any artifacting, and the temps steady at 74C. The problem is I just downloaded the Mafia 2 demo earlier today and while playing it maxed out I would fluctuate between about 90 fps and about 18 fps, it just seems to dip this low for no reason, even at times with no action. Then as a test I decided to reset the clocks back to stock and the game works perfectly, it never seems to shoot down to a frame rate under the 30s. Now lately I haven't really been heavily gaming up until now because I reformatted and didn't want to reinstall everything until I got my new motherboard so I can't really remember if I had this issue in the past with any other games. Has anyone else had this issue? During gameplay with the overclock I would notice a lot of GPU usage fluctuation could it be that I didn't get enough power to the GPU?

I'm not exactly sure because I just reformatted and thats the only game that I have right now. I'm almost certain it wouldn't happen during just cause 2, but honestly I haven't been playing that or other demanding games lately because my old motherboard was messed up and I just received a new one so I'm not 100% sure.

Hey guys, I have had my GTX 470 overclocked since I bought it a few months ago, currently my core is at 800 shader at 1600 and memory at 1800 while the voltage was at 1.025. I tested it in MSI Kombustor for about 30 minutes without any artifacting, and the temps steady at 74C. The problem is I just downloaded the Mafia 2 demo earlier today and while playing it maxed out I would fluctuate between about 90 fps and about 18 fps, it just seems to dip this low for no reason, even at times with no action. Then as a test I decided to reset the clocks back to stock and the game works perfectly, it never seems to shoot down to a frame rate under the 30s. Now lately I haven't really been heavily gaming up until now because I reformatted and didn't want to reinstall everything until I got my new motherboard so I can't really remember if I had this issue in the past with any other games. Has anyone else had this issue? During gameplay with the overclock I would notice a lot of GPU usage fluctuation could it be that I didn't get enough power to the GPU?

the mafia 2 demo has a physx update that puts the physx on the cpu. i assume they did this so ati users could see what physx is. if you play any other games with physx enabled after installing the mafia2 demo you will have poor performance. go to the nvidia website and download and install the physx update that was released today to fix this and you should be good.

check this out
http://guru3d.com/news/mafia-ii-demo-physx-fix--physx-system-software-9100513/

Last edited:
the mafia 2 demo has a physx update that puts the physx on the cpu. i assume they did this so ati users could see what physx is. if you play any other games with physx enabled after installing the mafia2 demo you will have poor performance. go to the nvidia website and download and install the physx update that was released today to fix this and you should be good.

check this out
http://guru3d.com/news/mafia-ii-demo-physx-fix--physx-system-software-9100513/

Alright that seems like it will work, but I'm having trouble with installation, I get "Error 1316", do you know anything about that?

Alright that seems like it will work, but I'm having trouble with installation, I get "Error 1316", do you know anything about that?

no idea what that is. i uninstalled all drivers using driver sweeper in safemode then reinstalled the latest ones.

Back