• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what blow dup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I seem to have blown my rig up again so I need a little help figuring out just what i have to replace this time.
I have my asrock extreme9 with a naked 4790k.
my psu tester and d-vom say that the psu is good, all fans and pump spin,gpu fans spin.no lights on the board, no Dr debug.
changed the ram, no go, tested both sets of ram in another board all ram ok.
whats next?
this is my first intel rig and it acts a little different than an amd rig, with amd you can power up the board without a cpu, not with an intel.
I did find badly bent pins but have straightend them out.

I found some pictures on the net of the pins that showed them being very neaty streight up and down so you only see the very tips of them.
he has this thing like a camera that displays on a computer screen and makes the socket and pins look huge and he matched those pictures to a "t" and we looked it over three or four times and it looked very good.
is there a way to test one of these cpu's without plugging another one in, I have ripped through some money trying that allready before i took the board to him.?

Last edited:
how did you clamp it down, did you put the IHS back on and use the typical mechanism ? or an EK naked kit ?

I hope you didn't crush the core. It's been known to happen. Got another cpu to test in your EX9? Also test your nekid chip in another board.

Put the IHS back on and clamp the mechanism down. Use a stock cooler.

If your board boots up, that means your 2nd chip is dead. Trying the dead chip in another board will rule that out or confirm it.

Good luck.

I picked up a couple of chips and have 2 boards, at this point they are all dead, nothing in the pile will even post.
I suspect the bent pins fried things. think i have two ways to go from here, first sweep the floor clean, buy another pair of boards.
I have one more new in the box 4790k, throw it in a board to fold with my cards and wait for broadwell.
or buy a neked cpu from someone that is known to work.

I picked up a couple of chips and have 2 boards, at this point they are all dead, nothing in the pile will even post.
I suspect the bent pins fried things. think i have two ways to go from here, first sweep the floor clean, buy another pair of boards.
I have one more new in the box 4790k, throw it in a board to fold with my cards and wait for broadwell.
or buy a neked cpu from someone that is known to work.
Better not let momma know, C/D or someone is gonna be on the couch for a long time. :D

No LEDs usually mean dead BIOS or dead CPU/problems with pin contact. However CPU problems should be more like 00 or something similar. Try with some speaker if there is any sound during boot.
Also can try to remove CPU and check if LEDs change.

My last ASRock board was dead after 1 day of benching and there was no BIOS recovery option or anything else. That's why I stick to OC Formula, GB boards with dual BIOS or ASUS ROG. Extreme series usually have turned off recovery option in BIOS or have 1 BIOS chip without any recovery technology.

I get nothing from the board with either bios a or b, no lights in the onboard reset or power switches, no beeps and the dr debug display stays dark, but the psu remains on till i shut it down.

I don't get it, with the stand offs that come with the naked kit it should be impossible to crush the core or pins ? was this working at one point and stopped working or did it never work ?

It looks more like a dead board to me. At least exactly the same was on my A88X Extreme6. Check if the same CPU on other mobo is acting in the same way. All you need is any sign from it like beeps or some code on LEDs. If CPU is dead then it will be or no sign or code 00 or something else what is marked as CPU error ( list of codes should be in the boads manual ). Also dead CPU = no beeps from mobo.

ed, that is cpu in.
cpu out the psu starts and shuts right down as i would expect.
it all started with me scalping a cpu trying to delid it, and it's been all down hill from there.
as i have said no lights, no beeps, no dr debug display from the board.

I am using asrock extreme9 boards. lights in the on board power and reset buttons no longer light up, dr debug display does not light up, no post beeps.

anybody stupid enough to plug this cpu into a board or pull your cpu and power the board up and tell me what happens?

witchdoctor, everything worked very well up untill i scalped a cpu deliding it.

this is my first intel rig and it acts a little different than an amd rig, with amd you can power up the board without a cpu, not with an intel.
I did find badly bent pins but have straightend them out.

Timeout timeout.

What? AMD can do that?
Like to let you flash the BIOS without a CPU? :shock:

Timeout timeout.
What? AMD can do that?
Like to let you flash the BIOS without a CPU? :shock:

All boards are flashable without a CPU or RAM... But almost 0 have the data on how to publicly available, in the "old days" you'd pop out the BIOS EEPROM and reflash it as they needed a slightly higher voltage for erasing/writing.

Back