• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED folding on a pos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have an old hp rig with xp 32 bit and a sempy 3200 laying around.
I have one of my gtx 760's laying around being lazier than me.
the old hp rig has 1 pcie slot.
can i throw the lazy azz card in there with the newest client and fold with it?

the way this is solved kind of sucks for me, you can't fold with an amd card with the xp operating system. You can on vista and up.
you can fold on xp with an nvidia card, all the cards I have extra are amd.

I did learn that a 24 pin motherboard connector will work fine in a 20 pin board if you can just get it plugged in.

Last edited:
Yeah, just turn off CPU folding so that you have that core to feed the GPU.

well then, let me start pulling stuff together and see if I can get it going.....

I may be screwed and that card might get more vacation than me.

the psu in the thing has only 2 molex connectors and 0 pcie.
I have a modern 500 watt psu with molex galore and plenty of pcie.

the motherboard connector is 20 pin, the psu connector is 24 pin, can I make this psu work with the older board?

If the board is that old it probably needs a decent amount of 5V, which a modern PSU won't have much of.

I found MC has a pretty good adapter selection for older Molex connectors. I got a 'standard' to mini from them, saw the split 24 pin (20+4) on the pegboard while there.

I can't see that old rig being too 5v heavy...

Whats the modern PSU rated for on the 3.3 and 5v rails?

I have my old Duron running off a 350watt PSU, with 50amps on the 3.3v rails, and I had an old Sempron running off of it too.
If you're careful and not stressing the system too much you should be ok.

But the 24 pin should fit the 20pin on the mobo fine anyway.

I may be screwed and that card might get more vacation than me.

the psu in the thing has only 2 molex connectors and 0 pcie.
I have a modern 500 watt psu with molex galore and plenty of pcie.

the motherboard connector is 20 pin, the psu connector is 24 pin, can I make this psu work with the older board?

It should work ok, most of the 24 pin ATX connectors that I've seen are 2 part connectors, 1x20 pin and 1x4 pin pigtail that can be pulled back so all you have to plug in is the 20 pin. There are a few that have 1 piece 24 pin connectors.

DSCN0615.JPG

Last edited:
ok, the mobo has a chip right next to where the 4 pins will overhang the 20 pin connector, it looks like the psu connector will clear it when pushed in.

the modern psu has no -5v.

the 3.3v is rated at 24 amp

the +5v is rated at 24 amp.

talking to Rgone last night he says the first 20 pins should be indexed the same on all the connectors.

ok, the 20+4 pin connector is cured, I found a mobo cable that is split as in post#9, 20+4,in the remains of my junk pile.

No -5v rail though......

I think the biggest issue will be finding a PSU that will power up the old rig that is 3.3 and 5v heavy, and have enough juice for a 12v GPU...
Also, a correction. The old PSU I have has 24 amps on 3.3v and 50Amps on the 5v rails.

The -5v rail you are missing isn't juicy either, only 0.8Amps. I wonder if one could just rig something up to make a -5v rail.

I honestly do not think you will have any problem using the newer power supply. None. Nadda. Zilch.

That Nvidia 770 should churn out some points. :welcome:to the FOLD.

:comp:

they do churn out the numbers.
with the big rig blow dup I'm trying to stick them in other things to keep them folding but every thing I have left in the junk pile is single pcie.

I'm going to try to get that one back online soon.

I take it that the motherboard is a Socket 754? In that case, that isn't too old for it to have a 20-pin ATX connector that requires a high amount of 5-volt compared to newer 24-pin boards. In other words, any PSU with decent 12-volt amperage to power your GPU would suffice for this motherboard and even older ones.

I can't imagine you using a Socket A motherboard since you are using a Sempron 3200+, of which there are Socket A sempron models with that label. There just aren't any Socket A boards with PCIe slots unless you use a PCI->PCIe converter board, which do exist.

what ever the pos is I stopped by the big house and picked up all the crap and brought it here and it's up and running, it's a socket 939, asus amberine-m motherboard and a sempy 3200+ at 1.8.
I have no idea what it was sold as because all the plastic is missing from the old, junker case.
the 500 watt psu had to be wedgyed into place and the card just fits. it's pretty flipping hot because the case has no fans and the only airflow is from the psu fan and gpu fan.

s462 used both 5V and 12V for the CPU, if it'll run a 3200+ it's probably a 12V board.
Not that I'm aware of any s462 boards with PCIe slots, and certainly not 5V CPU with PCIe.

Sounds like it's a lot more modern than that, though.

-5V was used for ISA slots, so I wouldn't worry too much on that front.

Back