• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water based air cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

On_Point

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if its ok to use a water based air conditioner in my room quite close to my pc? Will it help reduce pc temps or could it be harmful to parts by creating humidity etc?

:thup:

Last edited:
As long as your PC isn't cooled below ambient temps it should be fine. What do you mean by a water based air conditioner?

he means like a swap cooler lol I wouldn't do it in a small room. Those are more designed for warehouse type cooling.

water based air coolers circulate water usually over a rad with a large high cfm fan to blow air over it. Basically making the air cooler by hydrating the air.

Ahh, I see. High humidity isn't the best for electronics. Maybe just get a window shaker. It would have the same effect cooling the air without the humidity.

There is this tendency for hi-end portable A/C to include water to "boost" the perceived performance.
It's not that it is recirculating water like a chiller would.. no, it actually "vapourises" water into the airstream, so for a human it "feels" better as dry A/C air. Great for humans, not so great for computers.

Also beware, there are nowadays a lot of humidifiers that are sold at elevated prices while their description suggests A/C... most of the time using terms like "AirCooler" that can easily be interpreted as AirCo without actually using the term A/C; resulting in "that's a really good price for a portable A/C, lets order two".
Once you find out it isn't a "real" A/C there is no way to get your money back.. It's a legal scam.

he's not looking at what we call a swamp cooler, go check the web site.

if it cools the room it will help with the computer cooler.
well designed coolers enjoy a 1 for1 temp change with the room temp.

One thing about those (cheap) low-end "portable" A/C in the 9000 to 12000 BTU range from sometimes obscure brands is their specs/capacity. All of them are loud +55 dB , most of them wont go below 25°C in auto-mode. When in manual mode, they can go 20°C (some even 18°C), but their compressor is permanently ON in that case.. which doesn't bide well for longlivity

Listing all brands would be impossible,
as far as i know the low end Tri-Star is sold worldwide;
Electrolux is mid-range sold BeNeLux/parts of Europe
If you want to go hi-end "portable"... DeLonghi (although "brandname" is part of the price)

To be clear: the Electrolux listed is an A/C , the things in the yt clip are evaporative cooling ("swamp coolers") ... not so good for the average humid climate in Blighty

PS: the Electrolux is also sole at Curry's, John Lewis, etc

Im not sure if we're talking about the same thing. It sounds like the same thing, but I mean the things that are called "portalble air conditioners" even though you need to pump hot air out on most of them.
Like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXP12HN1WI-...id=1409059053&sr=8-8&keywords=air+conditioner

Or this :p

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys! that helped alot :thup:
I really need something, sinse i moved to Sri Lanka I have had to turn off my overclock. My room temp is like 30°C and my cpu is idling at round 45-50°C

I will look up DeLonghi models. The Electrolux I listed was probably the best on amazon.co.uk but I dont know if I should buy it from that because shipping might most as much as the unit.

That cheap looking swamp cooler on youtube is sold in Sri Lanka but after what you lot said I think I will avoid.

Really hope I can find a good portable AC here. There only seems to be 2 major stores that even sell AC units, Singer & LG Abans.
I may need to import :-/

These are also called "evaporative coolers". They work quite well in climates with low humidity but become less efficient the higher the ambient humidity is. They will not work well in Mississippi, RGone.

As others have said, should not present any problems as long as your computer components are not being cooled below ambient air temp. That's when condensation would occur. Apart from that high, humidity is actually beneficial to electronics as it reduces the risk of static electricity damage. I've actually seen humidifiers employed in server rooms.

Last edited:
These are also called "evaporative coolers". They work quite well in climates with low humidity but become less efficient the higher the ambient humidity is. They will not work well in Mississippi, RGone.

As others have said, should not present any problems as long as your computer components are not being cooled below ambient air temp. That's when condensation would occur. Apart from that high, humidity is actually beneficial to electronics as it reduces the risk of static electricity damage. I've actually seen humidifiers employed in server rooms.

yes to keep RH% at 40% ,
not like an evap cooler (like a bong/swampcooler) which can bring your room RH to 80% :)

Thanks for all the replies guys! that helped alot :thup:
I really need something, sinse i moved to Sri Lanka I have had to turn off my overclock. My room temp is like 30°C and my cpu is idling at round 45-50°C

I will look up DeLonghi models. The Electrolux I listed was probably the best on amazon.co.uk but I dont know if I should buy it from that because shipping might most as much as the unit.

That cheap looking swamp cooler on youtube is sold in Sri Lanka but after what you lot said I think I will avoid.

Really hope I can find a good portable AC here. There only seems to be 2 major stores that even sell AC units, Singer & LG Abans.
I may need to import :-/

Ideally from Japan.. they have an very very very broad range of A/C, small, big, odd-shaped, etc :)

Otherwise, by boat from China maybe using free shipping http://www.aliexpress.com/

Back