• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 990fx Fatal1ty Killer on going review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Offset allows you to run your CPU full out when needed but the cores,speed and volts will drop back when at idle.RGone has done a guide for it somewhere in here but I'll let him link it. There should be another option when you set the voltage to manual for offset. If your CPU uses 1.35v at stock but you need 1.45v for you OC you'd set the offset to .1v. Leave all the power saving on in bios and balanced in windows will allow the CPU to cycle up and down as needed.

oh wow thats really neat. Shame it doesn't work well for this :(

Oh it would work but it really does take some trial and error.

I dunno why people bicker about ASRock's UEFI, it's much easier to navigate through that than say Gigabyte's UEFI.

I dunno why people bicker about ASRock's UEFI, it's much easier to navigate through that than say Gigabyte's UEFI.

Compared to asus, the asrock is not even half as good. I quite enjoy gigabytes uefi, as its quite detail laden and has tons of options. Plus the colors dont strain my eyes! :thup:

In my FatLady 990FX PRO you can change the bios color to something more like what one is used to seeing. Cannot remember what it is called but it is doable.

Based on what you have seen, I too would n0t call the 990FX Killer board a hardcore overclocking board. I would guess with an FX-6300 in it and some heavy duty water cooling it would push the 6 core to 4.8/4.9Ghz and make a neat gaming mobo for a good deal as long as it stays at $135.00. You can buy a lot of Geewhizzes on a mobo for $35.00 and that is exactly what is missing...the geewhizzes. For me I know now that the 990FX EXT9 is still the balls to wall full on overclocking board or of course a Sabertooth or CHV-z.

We do appreciate you getting us closer to being in the know about that "killer" board, since all the advertising was about gaming and that is what it is...overclockable gaming board with their emphasis being gaming.
RGone...

Ok I have concluded front side bus overclock issues is based on ram choice... +10 points for whomever called out the ram issues earlier.

By underclocking my ram just a smidge, instead of a smidge overclocking, I was able to get really stable clock speeds with 4.41ghz at 1.4volts. Ran p95 for an hour, not problems at all.

Granted ram is a bit slower than stock at 1402mhz, however, clocks are much more stable without overclocking the ram.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/371326

faster then the 4.2 for sure. I'll be gaming with it and seeing how it holds up.

p95 temps were ->

MAX Socket -> 63c
Avg Socket -> 61c

Max core -> 51c
avg core -> 50c

Granted after a few hours, these temps will of course rise, probably to dangerous levels, however after an hour, that is stable enough for my uses, so I wont be pushing my sockets in the 70c territory just to appease some people lol.

edit: took it up to 4.51ghz. same voltages across the board. Ill be doing p95, but for now, it passed 20 tests on IBT @ standard without crashing or going over 65C socket/54C cpu.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/371340

Last edited:
Been running 4.51 as a daily driver, no issues to report. Overall VERY satisfied with performance per dollar on this thing!

idle's at 34 socket and 21 core temps. Under heavy gaming load for two hours, Im around 45c socket tops.

Last edited:
It sounds as if you have gotten it zero'd in pretty well. I expect it to be much more easily able to hold up under the load placed on it by the 8 core FX processors. And one thing is fairly certain, for the monies they have asked for that board...it probably is a good deal for a gaming machine.
RGone...

@Blaylock, the Usb drive must be formatted FAT 32 to save bios captures and I noticed that my saving was partial to particular Usb ports.

Heck it was not until I wanted to flash bios on my CHV using AFUDOS that I found a blurb telling me which Usb slot was considered the 'primary' one when not yet in windows and to put the mouse in that Usb port. Crap, I live and learn I guess.
RGone...

I actually emailed Asrock about this. It's why I returned this board for a Formula-Z. Long time lurker, second time poster.

Here's my reply from Asrock on the subject,

poophead support said:
Hello,

We dont have any information will the new bios come with LLC. If that is the reasons for you purchase the mainboard. Please contact the seller for mainboard refund.

If the monitor circuit for CPU_LLC is not on the board already, then nope a bios alone will not give CPU_LLC option. Thanks for Asrock reply.
RGone...

I really don't understand overclocking haha.

If I run 4.5 on multiplier clocking, I have to jack the voltage up rather high (1.45+) to get it "somewhat stable" (i.e. not crashing when I load programs). I have to keep it high, run it hot, and probably am taking a sizeable risk.

Now, running at 4.51 on 1.4volts with 215fsb, I am able to get very consistent performance, stability, and great temps with air cooling. Is this simply "chip lottery" coming into play? Why is 4.51 running so much better and easier than 4.5?

Ran p95 for a few hours today, no errors, great temps. Some slight v droop, but nothing it couldnt handle apparently. Temps spiked up, but settled back down in short order.

ujw1.png

So far this board is still kickin butt. May not be as serious as the sabertooth, but it's certainly appearing up to the task of holding 8 cores well.

Did you drop your memory frequency when you upped the FSB , Bob?

Did you drop your memory frequency when you upped the FSB , Bob?

Yes! and it fixed all the stability issues I was having previously.

edit: figured I would update. Board's having zero issues and I've been over clocked since day one.

"bob" thanks for the update man. Nice to know that this board seems able to perform pretty good within the range of your cpu clock and better now than the previous entry level board you had trouble with.

I chime in here because of a wish to make sure there is an understanding of the calibre of that board in light of its' pricing. It is a board targetting gaming that will overclock. However in light of the missing CPU_LLC setting in bios, I would say it is not a board intended for a hardcore overclocker. That said, Asrock seems to have made the cpu voltage circuit pretty effective for you to have so little Vdroop without that "visible" CPU_LLC setting in bios.

Have they released a newer bios yet for the mobo? Again thanks for the heads-up on the continued seeming good success you now enjoy.
RGone...

"bob" thanks for the update man. Nice to know that this board seems able to perform pretty good within the range of your cpu clock and better now than the previous entry level board you had trouble with.

I chime in here because of a wish to make sure there is an understanding of the calibre of that board in light of its' pricing. It is a board targetting gaming that will overclock. However in light of the missing CPU_LLC setting in bios, I would say it is not a board intended for a hardcore overclocker. That said, Asrock seems to have made the cpu voltage circuit pretty effective for you to have so little Vdroop without that "visible" CPU_LLC setting in bios.

Have they released a newer bios yet for the mobo? Again thanks for the heads-up on the continued seeming good success you now enjoy.
RGone...

The REALLY cool thing about this board is the onboard self updater! Whenever an update does come out, I simply restart my computer, log into the UEFI, and I can update from the internet straight from the menu. Its a very very cool feature. That said, I dont think theres an update yet.

I think for people wanting sabertooth reliability without worrying about super advanced overclocking features, or those that want a mild to medium over clock, this board is absolutely perfect.

I was dinking around the other day, and now that I know my ram is the limiting factor, I was able to get a FSB 5.0 over clock. The strange thing, it needed FAR less voltage (1.4 cpu voltage, I forget my CPU-NB/NB voltages though, I raised them a bit, but nothing insane) then the 5.0 multiplier (1.5volts) overclock. Any one know why?

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/421680

we have all found that for the most part that a combo of multi+fsb is the best way of overclocking.
keeping the cpu/nb, ht link, memory and the cpu well below unstable speeds is the way to go, it's a question of balance and finding the buss that is causing the instability.

many times when i'm putzen round I find my vcore climbing I find it's acually one of the other busses that i have a little to high and having to compensate for it with voltage, weather vcore, ht,cpu/nb or memory voltage.

The REALLY cool thing about this board is the onboard self updater! Whenever an update does come out, I simply restart my computer, log into the UEFI, and I can update from the internet straight from the menu. Its a very very cool feature. That said, I dont think theres an update yet.

I would be leery of an auto updater myself. The thing about bios updates,One little fart and you're not going to be able to start that board. I don't think it has any kind of direct flash feature like the ASUS boards so you'd be down for a couple of weeks until the RMA comes back. Just my thoughts, I never use windows either to update my bios file. It's just as easy to download put it on a flash and update through the BIOS utility and not nearly as risky.

From page #70 of 990FX Killer manual.
Using Instant Flash is probably the safer bios flashing procedure of the two listed by Asrock and
the one most of us that play around with bioses fairly often, would most likely choose to use.

Instant Flash
Save UEFI files in your USB storage device and run Instant Flash to update your UEFI.

Internet Flash
ASRock Internet Flash downloads and updates the latest UEFI firmware version from our servers for you. Please setup network configuration before using Internet Flash.

*For BIOS backup and recovery purpose, it is recommended to plug in your USB
pen drive before using this function. << They suggest this in order for the Internet Flash application to backup the bios before the flash process begins.
RGone...

Back