• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Haswell overclocking and general overclocking tips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itzzdannn

Registered
I thought i would make a thread were people could discuss tips tricks and results with haswell overclocking. I myself am not a very experienced overclocker and only understand the basics of raising voltage and multiplier. Thats were it ends for me so if you guys have anything i should disable or change maybe just some straight advice that would improve stability power and temps. Any advice to help improve my overclock would be great. My motherboard is z87 g45 and my i5 4670k is at 4.2ghz and idles at about 33c and underload 60c. My voltage is at 1.150 but i dont know if i need to lower or raise that it was kind of a guess because i dont understand how you would find out the ammount it really needs. So if anyone can tell me how to figure out the needed cpu voltage that would be great.

:welcome: to the forums.

There is actually already a very indepth guide here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732646

Written by our very own hokiealumnus.

The problem is i dont understand most of what he is talking about what does he mean cpu clock is king what am i supposed to do with it i have overclocked to 4.8ghz now and no stability problems but heat tops out at 80c in prime95 and aida64 and normally at 60-70c on idle i get 40-45c which seems a bit toasty what do i do to improve this?

Those temperature levels are excellent for your over clock. I wouldn't be worried at all.

Only easy way to lower the temps is to use less voltage.

Those temperature levels are excellent for your over clock. I wouldn't be worried at all.

Only easy way to lower the temps is to use less voltage.

I lowered my voltage to 1.050 and my clock to 4.2 and and my temps are still 37 to 40c idle

Both haswell and ivy run a little warm. 37-40c idle is perfectly fine.

So...Does Haswell benefit from faster then 2133 ram? I have read the article and it states that "if over 2133 men you'll get to see just how fast your chip really is".

To me that means that faster ram is better but, :confused: is it in the real world??

What is meant by that is that with Haswell, its a balancing act between the CPU clock and RAM clock. You can overclock to lets say 4.8 GHz and then you can try to run RAM at say 2666. It may not work, so you have to scale back your CPU clock to 4.7 GHz for example. A "good" chip will have a higher CPU clock and high RAM clock.

So...Does Haswell benefit from faster then 2133 ram? I have read the article and it states that "if over 2133 men you'll get to see just how fast your chip really is".

To me that means that faster ram is better but, :confused: is it in the real world??

you won't notice any difference.

Back