• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nexus 4 4.3 Issues after update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
I know there are quite a few people here with the nexus 4. I just did the update to 4.3 the other day and my phone sucks now. It get really hot while browsing the web, watching video or streaming music. The battery life has really gone down as well. The performance seems like it is really bad now too. I am unsure, but it is probably throttling because of the heat. It has even shutdown on me a few times - I suspect from being too hot.

Should I root and go with a rom or contact google and complain in hopes of a replacement?

If a rom is the answer, what are the ones to try?

Thanks.

Hardware isn't anything special, latest android is the current advantage... I wouldn't switch Roms.

I would try the Google route first. Then maybe look at a manual reflash using adb sideload or clockworkmod recovery.

I would also look at battery usage to see if something is sucking power.

Backup your pic and vids and reset your phone first. Thats the first thing Google is going to ask you to do. It does wonders to clear up software glitches.

4.3 has been outstanding on my Gnex, I say do a wipe, including formatting data and reflash the rom. You can download the rom for your device right from google.

Back up your data first !

+1 to Rattle. Upgrading the manufacturer route is basically the equivalent of a dirty flash. Dirty flashes are always frowned upon by ROM developers because they inevitably lead to issues like this - things that are notoriously difficult to suss out and near impossible to fix even if you do figure it out. They're rare, but they happen, hence the recommendation to always perform a clean flash.

SO, I'd use Titanium Backup and back up the apps for which you need data. Then boot into recovery, factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvic cache and wipe system (data is optional; I don't ever wipe that, because it would nix my photos & videos but some people do). Then re-flash your phone, either with stock 4.3 or use this opportunity to try out the ROM of your choice.

I'm not sure if you have access to root/easy recovery from the Nexus 4 at stock. You may have to root it. If so, you may as well go with a custom recovery. My favorite is TWRP. Used to use ClockworkMod, but have become a big fan of TWRP, both on my Galaxy S3 & Nexus 7.

EDIT - I forgot to mention that a good way to find out what's killing your battery is the oft-recommended BetterBatteryStats. I've never used it, but see it recommended a lot on XDA in both ROM threads to which I subscribe (one for each device). If you want to try and fix your current issue and don't mind paying for that app, that's one route to at least figure out what the problem is.

Thanks for the replies. I figured that I would have to reflash, but I wanted someone to tell me a magic fix. I am not that lucky and should have known better. :)
Thanks

if you also dont want to go with a custom rom but want to get your feet wet you could try a custom kernel....i'm running franco.Kernel and not sure if its a placebo effect but it does seem to get slightly better batter life.
If you want to dive right in, look at either cyanogenmod or paranoid android as custom roms.

I haven't seen any ill effects with my Nexus 4 from the update. But, I am wondering: is it possible to either block updates, or roll back undesirable ones?

I've been updated and haven't noticed any real difference. Like the others have said, back up all your stuff and do a factory reset.

Thanks for the replies. I figured that I would have to reflash, but I wanted someone to tell me a magic fix. I am not that lucky and should have known better. :)
Thanks
and before every clean flash...they ask you to reset your phone...and if your going to flash a ROM to fix a dirty update...then your going to need to root and your going to lose your data anyway. So the easiest fix is just to reset the phone.;)

Once that doesn't work then you can Root it and install a clean ROM of your choice.:)

You are still stock right?

I haven't seen any ill effects with my Nexus 4 from the update. But, I am wondering: is it possible to either block updates, or roll back undesirable ones?
Tim for that you are going to need to be rooted.

With the N4 still being the current flagship of the Nexus line the updates will be designed around the N4 specs..which by the way are still better than even the brand new MotoX (which is a dual core). As well as a higher pixel count(slightly) IPS LCD screen which I prefer to the Moto x's AMOLED. Thats mostly a personal choice...a lot of folks like the oversaturated colors of AMOLED...(They just don't know any better):p

It will be a long while before the AOSP (Open source project) or Google OTA won't be the best software for this phone.

Of course many still find the stock software lacking and thats where the XDA forums come in. With all of their great developers making Rom's of every flavor. Custom features are only a flash away. Be prepared to become addicted...Its best to do that with a spare phone. If you use your phone 24/7 the way I use mine. There is no time to be flashing ROM's on frequent basis.

My Galaxy Nexus is a year older than our N4's and it still works perfectly with the 4.3...and it will be supported in the next update 4.4 KitKat.

Last edited:
Yup, no way to deny an update, other than to just not click on it. Seems like there should be an app to hide those notices - if it weren't for the nag notification, it would be easy to stick with what works.

Personally, I like the updates. But to be honest, I cant name one new feature I'm using.

Yup, no way to deny an update, other than to just not click on it. Seems like there should be an app to hide those notices - if it weren't for the nag notification, it would be easy to stick with what works.

Personally, I like the updates. But to be honest, I cant name one new feature I'm using.
If your using Bluetooth, then you might be using the best part of the update with out even noticing..low energy 4.0 BT:)

and background Wi-FI locations (meaning the connectivity can be used for location even when turned off)

Are we talking about the actual 4.3 update, or the small 4.3 update that was security related?
The first 4.3 update.

Last edited:
I ended up living with the issue until today. I rooted and flashed a ROM this morning. It seems to working much better other than I accidentally erased all of my music, so I have to reload that.

This last week, the phone got so hot that I removed the cover that I had on it. Since it was unprotected, I happened to drop it out of my shirt pocket and it hit 2 corners pretty good and broke the back glass. :mad: I had kept it mostly perfect until then with a full cover on back and zagg screen protector.

Thanks everyone for your replies. :thup:

Hey, at least it's the back glass. Sucks though. Glad you at least got the OS fixed!

Back