• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini LAN rig mk.II (12" x 15" x 3.5")

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Crap man, Very Very nice.

Is that system going to be powerful enough for your gaming needs though? It would be very easy and cool to take to a lan party, but how useful is it going to be once you get there?

pby5cat said:
is flex-atx the same as mini-itx (170mm x 170mm)?

No, Flex ATX is 240 x 170mm. But a mini ITX system would spaciously fit in this case if I wanted it to...

In fact, I was thinking of selling the spare case and 92 Watt PSU in the SFF Forum because this is a bit cramped for a gaming system.

funkdamonkman said:
Crap man, Very Very nice.

Is that system going to be powerful enough for your gaming needs though? It would be very easy and cool to take to a lan party, but how useful is it going to be once you get there?

Thanks

It will mainly be used as a Game Server, but with a low Profile TNT2 32MB DDR (or GF2MX, depending on what I can find) it will easily run a very playable game of UT.

This will also make a great system for me to tote to the computer lab at college to keep myself occupied between classes. I did that with the first version and really enjoyed all the funny looks I got :D

Tbird man said:
where can i get an adapter for the cdrom besides servercase.com

iDot.com has the IDE adapter for $9
But I haven't seen the mounting bracket under $20 anywhere.

If you win the auction and you need any help getting your system built I can help you out.

yanks111 said:
hey i found an auction on ebay for a similar case that is nearly as small, just a tad pricey. Its called the Cubid 2677 and is on ebay, but the auction ends July 31st.

The Cubid 2677 is for Mini-ITX form factor motherboards ONLY.

yanks111 said:
Edit: How much would you sell one of those mini cases for pre sanded, but with no hardware?

I can't advertise here so PM me...

Ghetto Starfox said:
awesome job slug! that mofo is small!! i bet it's light as heck too! :p
Thanks for the compliments everybody :clap:

Even though it's steel it has less surface area than the plastic case I made. Empty (with ONLY the PSU inside) it weighs 5 or 6 pounds.

Edit: The Mini keyboard and mouse for this sytem arrived today! This is going to be one tote-able machine...
invader4.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what the inside configuration is like...
invader6.jpg

invader5.jpg

The Hard Drive fits 90 degree from the orientation of and under the 5.25" bay. IF I were to use a Micro-ATX motherboard I'd lose that space...
invader7.jpg

The otherboard in the picture isn't a working one, and I'd have to use one with an ATX connection that's not positioned under the Drive bay. Luckily my Asus A7N266-VM WILL fit like this without any huge problems.

Don't buy this kind of case expecting to fit a Micro ATX mobo and a full size CD-ROM cuz they're GOING to run into each other.

Tbird man said:
anyone know where i can get a VGA to s-video adaptor?

You'll need a scan convertor to do that... Here's one for $72 (really good deal)

Tbird man said:
what do you need to do to fit a micro atx mobo?

A. IF the motherboard you get bumps into the power supply, you'll have to mount a 1U PSU to sit on-top of 2 PCI slots in order to power the thing...
B. Chop off a part from the HDD mount (which will force you to use a Slim CD-ROM and adapter bracket for holding the HDD)...

ARRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggg!
I just noticed some rust on the one I sanded down so I've going to take it to the auto-body shop next week to get a professional paint job.

And Tbird, I could pre-mod this one for you, if you want me to...

Back