• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Microsoft MVP" Project...A Pictoral Journal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NcBaller1985

One of my friends is doing his Senior Project on computers and is building a PC for his physical project. I had to do Senior Project last year, except I did my on Architecture. Well anyway, you have to have a mentor and spend like 15 hours working with him on your project. Donnie, my friends name, wanted me to be his Mentor so I sure, what the heck. His project isn't on modding per say but I figured what the hell, let's mod the SH*t out of this case! So he left me his case and gave me a few ideas he wanted done. Well this case was UGLY...so i could only let it sit in my apartment for so long untill I had to do something about it's uglyness. So I am modding his case. Nothing real big like "The Beast" or "Fush Zero," just a little paint job, some windows, you know, the normal case mod stuff. And of course it will have one of my famous etchings on it.

For starters, I need to know somewhere that will host pics for free. My website sucks at hosting pics so if anyone could help me out I would much appreciate it!

Did I mention that Donnie was a Microsoft MVP??? What are the odds of ME getting to mod one of about 200 total Microsoft MVP's computers! Pretty cool huh, just hope I don't f it up too bad!!!

Good place for images up to 50kb is www.theforumisdown.com

Another place...Once I get him I'll put it up here....IIRC it allows up to 1000kb, but I'll still have to test it out to see if I can be able to post it on the forums :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Ok, let's see if this hosting works. Thanks Thor!

Aighty, I had already started on this project before I thought about putting it on here so I guess I will catch you up. I don't have any pics of the origanal case put all together but I will try and find one. Here it is taken apart. You can see what I mean when I say ugly!

030903-MM01.JPG

Here is the front panel before painting. I decided to go with a blue/chrome paint scheme. I am still painting and will post pics when I am done.

030903-mm2.JPG

This is the front panel where I cut out a 120mm fan. I still have to figure out how to make some sort of slots in the front to allow the fan to suck air in. I have a few ideas, but still not sure.

030903-mm3.JPG

Last edited:
And here are the two 80mm rear exhaust I cut out. The case will have a blow hole and a side intake in the window too.

030903-mm4.JPG

Ok, you are all caught up now. I will post pics of my progress as I go. If you have any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts, give'em to me! Thanks.

Last edited:
that red/pink color goes really well as a trim for black themed cases . to bad it looks like it was a main paint before.

blue and chrome is a very good choice btw but you will probly want 1 more small trim color for a total of 3 colors to flesh it out a bit but it should not be used heavily like the major trim color that yuo already chose. so which is the trim color you chose and which is the main color?

if blue is the main color with silver/chrome trim then you can safely disregaurd everything i just said unless the case has a funky led lighting scheme . sometimes the leds stand out to much and you have to mod them
thankfully when it comes to led there are many easy and cheep ways to mod them such as sanding down for less light or just changing them out for diferent colors or adding a matching 3rd paint color for secondary trim

The main color is this awsome anodize blue and the trim will be chrome.

Here is the progress of my painting...sorry this pic turned out bad. It is the main chrome trim on the front of the case.

030903-mm5.JPG

And here is that cool blue I was talking about. This pic turned out better, as u can see.

030903-mm6.JPG

Last edited:
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Hurry up with my case...haha...

I hope this case project goes pretty well because this is my first "not store bought" PC, but with the help of Baller it should all go well...

We originally wanted to go with the green LED and color scheme to go with the Halo/Xbox theme, but that is what my close friend is going with. So we decided to go with a main metallic blue color, and a trime of chrome where the red was originally...

This should look pretty will with blue LED fans and we are planning to replace the front lights, on the power buttons, to blue lights as well...

There is a major problem though because we have the large 120mm fan in the front, but there is almost no airflow openings in the front. Also, you may notice that the buttons are right in the middle of the bottom, and this takes out the idea of just adding a fan grill...

I know that Baller will keep you updated with the progress...

Edit: oh yea baller...nice pic... No Way AMD!

-Silentscope

for the air flow of the front intake

when you put the front onit has a small distance from the front part to the actual case right?
is that spae roughly about 1 inch or 3cm wide

if so at the bottom is there a cover or is it open so air can travel upwards

if its not open and you do have a space btween bezel and case open that area for stealth air flow but make sure that the bottom of the case has 3cm clearance by using feet ( can also be made from acrylic and have led inserted inside for the uber custom look)

Thorilan- you really need to tell me who miho is.
Baller- nothing wrong with a good ole' AMD chip. What is a Microsoft MVP? Also, I LOVE that paint color that you have there!

There are only like 200 people that have been chosen to be Microsoft MVP's by Microsoft. Most of them are top computer engineers and stuff....well hell I will let silentscope tell you.

And there is nothing wrong with AMD...I just wouldn't put it in my PC EVER!!! I guess you could say I am an Intel fanboy. :D

:rolleyes: fanboys. anyway the paintjob looks good so far ncballer, a few questions:

a) did you sand?
b) did you prime?
c) what kind of paint are you using?

The Microsoft MVP Program is a worldwide award and recognition program that strives to identify amazing individuals in technical communities around the globe who share a passion for technology and the spirit of community. Microsoft MVPs are recognized for both their demonstrated practical expertise and willingness to share their experience with peers in Microsoft technical communities...

The MVP Award, which stands for "Most Valuable Professional" is an annual award given to outstanding members of Microsoft's peer-to-peer communities. There is no actual form to fill out or something similar to that. Also, there are many awards given to various branches of Microsoft, and these can be in anything from .Net to Xbox...

I received an award for the Xbox division for the year 2002-2003. I got the oppertunity to take part in the Xbox Live beta testing, and I moderate the Xbox.com forums...

This award is given to individuals world-wide, so there are many people who win this award. Baller mentioned that there are about 200 awards given, but in reality, the amount given world-wide would be more to a thousand recipiants...

After one is awarded this status they are given a small amount of "goodies" for the year they are an MVP...

If you would like to learn more about this award you can visit the website at http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/...

-Silentscope

Yeah i sanded, primed, and I am using some auto body paint I picked up at a local Autozone.

No new modding today...too tired...looooong day. I am going to bed. Probably some modding tomorrow though!

I am gona sneak in while you are asleep and stick a duron in your computer.

You should go for a cdrom window. What kind of cathoids are you going to put in it?

Big_Baller said:
What kind of cathoids are you going to put in it?

Now, what exactly are cathiods? Is that some kind of new virus or something? :)
JK, I'm pretty sure he meant cathodes everyone! BTW, congrats on getting your MVP silent! Hope to see you share you expertise around here on the forums some more!

Scott

Back