• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the COLDBANGER project (my pretty custom case)!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:)

No worries, the GTX 460 will get a friend someday!

A future goal is to add another 120.2 rad and another pump to the build to accommodate more. This would require a complete tear-down and re-build to add it all though, so may be a bit before I indulge any further.

I'll be contacting CPU mag here soon once I get the very final touches done!

No worries, the GTX 460 will get a friend someday!

A future goal is to add another 120.2 rad and another pump to the build to accommodate more. This would require a complete tear-down and re-build to add it all though, so may be a bit before I indulge any further.

I'll be contacting CPU mag here soon once I get the very final touches done!

The pump and rad you have now would probably handle another GTX 460 no problem. All you'd have to do is get the card, the block, and some Sli fittings. It would be pretty easy to setup, the only thing you'd have to route is the extra PCI-e cables. But anyways. would be really awesome to see this in CPU, I am sure you could get in.

Very nice job, very original, I can only imagine what kind of stuff you could do with the right tools. I have had to make holes by drilling lots of small ones before, its awful!

Def a contest winner if you ask me.

Def a contest winner if you ask me.

+1

This is an absolutely amazing build. I'm impressed that you chose to work with that wood already knowing what a pain it is. Like others have said before me, this is the best open air case i have ever seen. I will be looking forward to some future works :)

This build is superb! Big :thup: for you! Your attention to detail is second to none! Very impressive!

I do have one question if I may...? I was just wondering what SATA cables you are using? I would love to get my hands on a few of those!

Congrats on a terrific build!
-RYknow

Heya guys!

Thanks for the compliments.

I'm putting some finishing touches on the build and will be contacting CPU Magazine here shortly to see what happens!

I was just wondering what SATA cables you are using? I would love to get my hands on a few of those!

Got them from Performance-pcs.com

I used 3 right-angle and 3 straight ones. Wish I would have got shorter ones however as I now have a lot of extra cable length, lol. They were in one of my very first orders though :)

They are these

I'll keep y'all posted as usual!
:rock:

CPU Magazine

I've contacted CPU Magazine and will be submitting this build to them for their Mad Reader Mod article.

I've taken nearly 40 additional pics to send them and figured I'd post a couple of my favorites here. (They're mostly all alike, just from different angles).

I finished up the very very last of the detail work (touch-up painting, etc) and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens!

I'll keep you all posted!

2.JPG

9.JPG

27.JPG

Outstanding! Best of luck, dude!

If you win, we OCF members need to throw you some kind of congratulatory party in your honor. I'll bring the whiskey.

EDIT: Glad you took my advice on the additional anti-kink coils. From an aesthetic point of view, the anti-kink coils on the hoses form a sense of continuity not only with each other but also with your RAM sinks. It all ties together. It looks sweet!

Absolutely amazing work and attention to detail, I'm glad I followed this one. The wire management is great. Makes me look at my case though and realize what a mess it is inside.

Hey I noticed you have those new aluminum hose clamps, how are they treatin you? I was thinking about getting some.

It'd be really awesome to see this build on the front of CPU mag :D

Haha!

Thanks for the compliments guys!

We'll see what happens I suppose!

@Dooms101, yes the hose clamps are very nice. The packaging is a little over done, but I'd buy them again for sure. The metal is plenty strong. Never once felt like they were going to strip when they were plenty tight.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm guessing from the verbage of the most recent article of CPU Magazine's Mad Reader Mod section, they kindly referred to my case saying they liked it but said the one they picked is better, lol.

Idk, whatya think? Am I overthinkin it?

"We see lots of black steel and brushed aluminum, and we even see a fair amount of custom wood cases"

Guess I'll just wait it out and see. Sent in my build to them on Mar. 19, never heard anything back, but may not have been in time for this month's magazine I suppose, idk. Either way I suppose.

You may be reading into it, but I'll say this: If they choose another case over yours then it had better be a damn nice case. Yours truly is outstanding, and if they chose another over yours then you should buy the winner a case of beer because he has a pristine creation.

In my book you are the hands downs winner against that case... In the end a case is just a case with a fancy paint job and stuff just glue to it to make it look good .. But what you did is create a piece of art from the ground up..

Back