• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 4770k delid video (IHS removal)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boulard83

Video @ http://infodupat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=488

@ 4.4ghz 1.3vcore
Load temp with Small FFT was 85+°c
Now i get ~75°c ( with NH1 paste )

** Waiting som liquid pro and ultra TIM for better results :) **

There is the base line for my futur TIM testing and a possible lapping if the IHS is not 100% flat.
boulard83_20min_aida_4400_nh1.jpg

Last edited:
good job so you used NH1 between die and IHS and got 10c drop?

not bad I might have to do this, did you resecure the IHS with anything?

Nice vid but I for sure would have used the Vice method just looks much safer.

I watched alot of different method and i personnaly prefered this one. It's been really EZ.

good job so you used NH1 between die and IHS and got 10c drop?

not bad I might have to do this, did you resecure the IHS with anything?

Nop, clamped the CPU retention braquet on it. Everything is fine.

I'm waiting some liquid pro and Ultra paste :) It's in the mail !

Man look how easy that IHS plate comes off!!

Could you imagine how much more they'd try to charge if those where soldered on?!

Nice video. Looks very familiar to de-lidding any Cpu that isn't soldered!

Man look how easy that IHS plate comes off!!

Could you imagine how much more they'd try to charge if those where soldered on?!

Nice video. Looks very familiar to de-lidding any Cpu that isn't soldered!

thx !

There is the base line for my futur TIM testing and a possible lapping if the IHS is not 100% flat.
boulard83_20min_aida_4400_nh1.jpg

Man you guys really make me consider delidding mine...

Even if i had a golden chip that clocked like hell on low volts i think i would have delided it anyway. I like to play and thinker with my hardware ;)

ASUS tested lot of cpus from which probably all were ES. Actually maybe 80% of retail 4670/4770K will make ~4.5GHz ~1.35V or even worse what is max on air/water. Most results in reviews or posted by manufacturers ( including most profiles for auto oc ) were made on ES chips that are overclocking better but also some batches seem to have lower core protection as they could die at about 1.5-1.65V while retails are running without bigger issues up to ~1.8V ( of course on better cooling ).
You just can't compare retail and ES chips in this case. There are of course good retails too but % is really low.
I thought that my 4770K is bad making about 4.5GHz 1.37V but then I got 4670K which needs 1.4V for the same clock.
I just don't want to delid cpu if I won't keep it for longer but it sounds much better idea than with IB where dropping temps didn't really help with higher oc in most cases. Here lower temps = higher performance after oc because throttling won't activate so quick.

Thanks for the input woomack !

I will do some more OC/vcore testing as soon as i receive my liquid pro/ultra.

ASUS tested lot of cpus from which probably all were ES. Actually maybe 80% of retail 4670/4770K will make ~4.5GHz ~1.35V or even worse what is max on air/water. Most results in reviews or posted by manufacturers ( including most profiles for auto oc ) were made on ES chips that are overclocking better but also some batches seem to have lower core protection as they could die at about 1.5-1.65V while retails are running without bigger issues up to ~1.8V ( of course on better cooling ).
You just can't compare retail and ES chips in this case. There are of course good retails too but % is really low.
I thought that my 4770K is bad making about 4.5GHz 1.37V but then I got 4670K which needs 1.4V for the same clock.
I just don't want to delid cpu if I won't keep it for longer but it sounds much better idea than with IB where dropping temps didn't really help with higher oc in most cases. Here lower temps = higher performance after oc because throttling won't activate so quick.

From what I see in the forms the retail is doing worse more like 60% are doing 4.5GHz at maximum core voltage of 1.275v under full thread load conditions.

So like I said before Asus is correct it is luck of the draw.

The Asus 200 cpu sample test was 70% reached 4.5GHz at 1.275v under full thread load conditions.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/06/01/intel_haswell_i74770k_ipc_overclocking_review/6

First paste testing.
Noctua NH-1 versus EVGA Frostbite.

boulard83_nh1_frostbite_VSdelid.jpg

Well, the frostbite suck .... loll !
I had good hope on the frostbite paste since it seems to spread well under pressure but it did not deliver good results.

Edit, i also prepared the CPU for the incoming CLP and CLU "TIM".

boulard83_4770k_vernis_001.JPG

boulard83_4770k_vernis_002.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting results. How many times did you mount and test? I ask normally, there is only a couple of C difference between TIMs. Yours is showing 10C.

Back