• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the verdict on Windows 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll stick with my OS X 10.8.3 and my Windows 7 Pro. Thanks anyway Microsoft.

Don't think you'll be missing anything.

My home server is on Win 8 and my main rig is on Win 7. Still like Win 7 better. Waiting to upgrade the home server to Blue and see if there is a difference.

Just tried the new Windows 8.1. Looks like more of the same as Windows 8. To bad they did manage to add the start button, looks nice but it just throws you back to that Metro screen. Guess Micro$oft really does want to get out of the PC business.

Until M$ remembers that Windows is for PC's and not tablets, and stop turning their backs on the people that made them billions then Windows 8, 8.1, and the previews I seen for 9 makes it a waste of time and money to ditch Windows 7 for. It does seem that they cultivating personal info to activate and register Windows 8.1 is way over the top, and their lack of built in security is as always lax at best. I am sure that there are some that use it, but for the people that visit here and want to be extreme performance, then my thoughts are that Windows 8 will be worst then vista when its all said and done.
We have held to the idea that every other release of windows is a bomb, Me, Vista now 8, hopefully 9 would be better but its kind of up to us to teach the giant Microsoft that they can't force their perceptions of how we use our computers, we will simply take our market share somewhere else.

Until M$ remembers that Windows is for PC's and not tablets, and stop turning their backs on the people that made them billions then Windows 8, 8.1, and the previews I seen for 9 makes it a waste of time and money to ditch Windows 7 for. It does seem that they cultivating personal info to activate and register Windows 8.1 is way over the top, and their lack of built in security is as always lax at best. I am sure that there are some that use it, but for the people that visit here and want to be extreme performance, then my thoughts are that Windows 8 will be worst then vista when its all said and done.
We have held to the idea that every other release of windows is a bomb, Me, Vista now 8, hopefully 9 would be better but its kind of up to us to teach the giant Microsoft that they can't force their perceptions of how we use our computers, we will simply take our market share somewhere else.

Something I could've said.

So true.

Why use start8 when you can have any kind of Start Menu you want for free with Classic Shell?

Why not install Classic Shell with Windows 7 Start Menu button and disable Charms - there's Windows 7 if they don't want Windows 8... for free and in less than 30 seconds.

How do you disable Charms in windows 8.1 with Classic shell.

How do you disable Charms in windows 8.1 with Classic shell.

To disable the Charms nightmare: Windows 8 Settings TAB > Disable active corners: All

Attachments

• DisableCharms.png
    DisableCharms.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 74
If you are running the latest version of Classic Shell 4.0.2 and this still happens after you do as pictured above, go here, scroll down and post your problem, it may be unique to your system. Having Charms constantly pop up (also known as Charms working properly) is very annoying, and never more so than when you have something important to work on and it keeps popping up just because your mouse went over the part of the screen now appropriated by Windows 8 Charms. Good luck, I hope they help you disable it, post back if you figure out why on your system it you originally could not disable it.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/45430/Classic-Shell

I really don't see why everyone hates win8. Yes, it does not have a "real" start button and yes it has metro and charms(both of which I use but to each their own).So what? all you have to do is download classic shell or something similar(most of which are free) and be done with it....

ok mini rant over but still why all the hate?(that and like c627627 said it takes longer to post a complaint than it takes to fix it.)

I massively dislike windows 8 but some people like it. I will not be upgrading from windows 7 64 bit until windows 9 and 128 bit CPU's Finally hit the shelves. I will purchase it no matter how much it sucks because, I will have no other choice.

If I had my pick and could choose my OS though I'd go with Windows 98 SE all the way. Best OS ever.

I massively dislike windows 8 but some people like it. I will not be upgrading from windows 7 64 bit until windows 9 and 128 bit CPU's Finally hit the shelves. I will purchase it no matter how much it sucks because, I will have no other choice.

If I had my pick and could choose my OS though I'd go with Windows 98 SE all the way. Best OS ever.

and why do you hate it?

I dislike the start menu for one. That's the major turn off for everyone and why microsoft didn't bring it back and make it an OS for 80% of their customers I have no idea. Especially when SO many of their customers complain about it on a daily basis. It's an OS for tablets and people who are stupid enough to buy overpriced touch screen laptops/monitors. Classic shell, start8 or any of the supposed "fixes" don't fix the problem as it's nothing like the classic start menu at all and they're buggy hunks of crap (Least when I used them on w8 release)

I also find it hard to locate what you want, I shouldn't have to make 100,000 shortcuts just to have basic functionality in my computer. As for the supposed performance increase in games, I didn't notice a difference at all. Like I said Windows 98 SE was my OS of choice up until I had no choice to upgrade to Windows XP. Windows XP wasn't "bad" though I just preferred Windows 98. I used windows XP for about 3 months and then upgraded to Windows 7 on release and I've been using it ever since.

If there was a 64 bit version of windows 98 SE with dx11 and support for today's hardware though I'd be "downgrading" to it and would be advising all of my friends to do the same.

Classic shell, start8 or any of the supposed "fixes" don't fix the problem as it's nothing like the classic start menu at all.

I also find it hard to locate what you want, I shouldn't have to make 100,000 shortcuts just to have basic functionality in my computer.

Yes it is hard to locate 'what you want' under Windows 8, that is what Classic Shell is for. Neostarwcc, I thought you were joking about Windows 98, but Classic Shell can make Windows 8 be like Windows 98.

Here's a Windows 98 start button for Classic Shell for you:
Windows9x.png

Use Classic Shell Settings > Start Button TAB > Custom button to install it.

Next use Start Menu Style TAB to get your Windows 98 Start Menu style.

Next, would you like the old buttons in Windows Explorer?
Here's what I did, most people don't need or use this, but Classic Shell allows you to make your own UI that is "just like," but really BETTER than Wndows 98 or Windows XP.

For me Windows XP's buttons were crucial to super-fast computing, I use the buttons to navigate much quicker than I can using anything else, Windows XP buttons were OK, but I like my custom buttons in Windows 8 even more:

Attachments

• Toolbar.png
    Toolbar.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 51
Actually, no I wasn't joking about Windows 98. Yes, it was a buggy hunk of crap on release and got BSOD's like there's no tomorrow but they fixed all the problems overtime. In the latest version it became one of the most stable operating systems of all time if not the most stable.

All of my good memories were from Windows 98, it's a shame Microsoft let it die the way of the dodo but then again, it's latest release was 13 years ago and they even stopped support for Windows XP now which was only discontinued in... 06 I believe? They've even stopped making updates for Windows 7 and it hasn't even been a year yet... All three were great Operating Systems but it seems like Microsoft has to make one garbage OS and then come out with something great.

Windows 3.0 (Don't remember it but I hear stories) apparently sucked, Windows 3.1 was great and was my first OS/Computer ever, Windows 95 was only great because of it's GUI improvements over Windows 3.1 I still remember it took like 15 floppys to install (We didn't have CD-R Media then) whereas Windows 3.1 was two took us forever to install it on our computers, Then Windows 98 came out and release was bad SE was great, Then ME which was a horrible OS, Then XP which is the one everyone says is great and the best of all, then vista horrible,7 great,8 horrible.

Yup one good OS and one horrible/garbage OS pretty much. So maybe we can expect 9 to be great too. I hope because I'm going to be pretty much forced to upgrade to it, because I'll be getting 128 bit processors the second they come out two years in the future and we can assume microsoft is going to make a 128 bit OS to cash into the new trend.

As for trying 8 again, I don't feel like purchasing it again so I might download it to try. Didn't 8.1 bring back the start menu anyway?

Last edited:
They've even stopped making updates for Windows 7 and it hasn't even been a year yet...
Uhh, no they didn't. I still get updates...:shrug:

And maybe I missed it, but out of the box 8.1 does not restore the start menu. I need to figure out how to do it or go classic shell, LOL!

Last edited:
Back