• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Storing an iPhone long term...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I'm going on vacation for a month. My iPhone 5 isn't coming with me. What do I do? Do I just charge it to 100% and hold the power button down to shut it off and leave it? Advice please.

Thanks

The problem with storing Li-Ion (or Li-Polymer) batteries at full charge without use for an extended period of time is that the normal chemical reaction which occurs within each individual cell will cause capacity loss and shorten the battery life span.

For Li-Po, it's best to have each individual cell at about 3.7V before storing them to reduce the effect and prolong the battery life. Li-Ion is similar, I think around 3.8V per cell. There should be an app that you can install that will allow you to see the exact voltage of your battery. Just charge it or use till its about 3.8V, then shut down the unit. Keep it in a cool place (heat is another killer of Li-XX batteries) and you should be fine.

60% and shut er down :thup:

Drain it to +-50% and leave it in a place where its cool.

The problem with storing Li-Ion (or Li-Polymer) batteries at full charge without use for an extended period of time is that the normal chemical reaction which occurs within each individual cell will cause capacity loss and shorten the battery life span.

For Li-Po, it's best to have each individual cell at about 3.7V before storing them to reduce the effect and prolong the battery life. Li-Ion is similar, I think around 3.8V per cell. There should be an app that you can install that will allow you to see the exact voltage of your battery. Just charge it or use till its about 3.8V, then shut down the unit. Keep it in a cool place (heat is another killer of Li-XX batteries) and you should be fine.

:sly:

So which is it? :p :bang head

I keep my lipos at 60-65 it's been 2 years and no swelling yet :thup: they are Hyperion 3s packs come to think of it I should cycle them :D

If you want to be precise, my method (the same method that all RC hobbyist follow with maintaining their batteries, which aren't cheap).

If you want to be just close enough, 45-50% should be in the vicinity of 3.8xx volts.

Most of these are based on periods of over a year I think, leaving it at 45% or 60% will make very little to no difference when you are only leaving it somewhere for as little as one month. As long as you don't leave it at 100% in the burning sun you should be fine. :)

I just don't want the battery going dead on me while the phone is in storage.

Another question-- (with a long story...sorry...) I had a flip phone before this and when I came back from vacation last year, my phone would not reconnect to the network here in Canada. No matter what I did it just wouldn't reconnect, so, since my contract was over, I got the iphone. Once, I left my iPhone on airplane mode overnight and when I turned it back on in the morning it took a VERY long time to find the network again. What are the chances of something going wrong along these lines when I turn the phone back on again after a month?

I'm going on vacation for a month. My iPhone 5 isn't coming with me. What do I do? Do I just charge it to 100% and hold the power button down to shut it off and leave it? Advice please.

Thanks

No, as it can damage the capacity of your battery for being too high. Do not discharge it to 0% or anywhere near it either as it can go into a deep discharge. Charge it to 50% and every 6 months when the battery reduces (it happens when counting 32bit clock time) back to 50%.

The problem with lipo and other similar battery types is once the get discharged 100% they often have problems charging back up.
I had this happen with RC car batterys after leaving the radio on over night.
Charging to 100% and storing it is not a good idea ether as it could ware the cells down.

I'd charge the battery at 50-80% shut the phone off and store it in a cool dry place.

Just an FYI, this is a 3 year old thread. :)

Still good info for all, but the OP is no longer a member here anymore.

Back