• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 14" Slim Gaming Laptop???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoiseBadAss

I need some advice, I want to buy a 14" slim work/light gaming (Mostly Starcraft II) laptop like the Razor Blade but I don't want to spend $2,200 lol. Any advice?

Been looking at:

Lenovo 510p

Cyberpower Zeus Hercules Iris Pro (Nervous about this brand)

Asus 14" variations (lackluster GPUs mostly)

MSI GE40

Any other good ones? I am looking to spend around $1000-1500.

Lenovo 510p

MSI GE40

I personally like the Lenovo and the MSI. Cyberpower is a custom PC manufacturer and so is Origin PC, so you shouldn't worry about them. They do have price premiums on their machines (and so does every other gaming grade laptop).

As far as others you'd have to pay much higher, much like the Razerblade. Most of these machines have something special to their cooling and that's why they're both thin & lite AND expensive.

I personally like the Lenovo and the MSI. Cyberpower is a custom PC manufacturer and so is Origin PC, so you shouldn't worry about them. They do have price premiums on their machines (and so does every other gaming grade laptop).

As far as others you'd have to pay much higher, much like the Razerblade. Most of these machines have something special to their cooling and that's why they're both thin & lite AND expensive.

Normally I'd agree with the Lenovos, I can't seem to get to the configuration page right now but I know for a while you could get one of the Y series with a set of SLI'd 755Ms (or 760Ms?) for slightly cheaper than a lot of "gaming" notebooks. The only downside is they are 0.61-1.41" thick for the 15" model, the 14" model isn't much thinner, and the 14" model is 5 1/2 pounds. I don't know if that meets BBAs definition of "thin and light".

But I'll agree with the MSI. Specs look good, and if OPs ok with the weight and thickness...

Well, I bought the GE60 with a 765m, i7-4600MQ, and bought a 840 Pro 250 GB SSD to install in it. The keyboard, 260 Lum screen (category avg was only 200) and thin design convinced me. I appreciate your guys feedback.

One more quick question, looking at throwing in 8 GB 2133 MHz RAM to replace the 8 GB 1600 MHz RAM. I heard when running avg day to day graphics stuff it'll use the intel 4500 graphics and the faster RAM will make a huge difference. Think it'll be a worthwhile upgrade?

Honestly, I doubt it's worth the cost, considering the cheapest 8GB kit of 2133MHZ laptop ram is $92 on newegg. If you're putting enough graphics strain on it to the point where RAM would make a difference, chances are it'll switch over to the 765M.

I need some advice, I want to buy a 14" slim work/light gaming (Mostly Starcraft II) laptop like the Razor Blade but I don't want to spend $2,200 lol. Any advice?

Been looking at:

Lenovo 510p

MSI GE40

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4636#kf

Exactly in your budget and DAMN Sexy.

14 inch ultrabook with a GTX 760m and clean metal build.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4636#kf

I ABSOLUTELY ABHOR the look of the MSI Ge40/60/70 series.. so retarded... blatantly screams im a gaming laptop... but I guess thats what some people want.

Back