• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Issue with laptop wifi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I have a laptop with an annoying and strange issue.

The laptop finds the wifi card, i can install the wifi card, but in the corner, i get the 4 or 5 bars with a red x over it, just like it doesnt find wifi connections.

I replaced the pcie card with a different wifi card, both Atheros, installed the driver and same issue.

So i hooked up different antennas, no difference.

The laptop is a complete reinstall running Windows 7 64bit.

Anybody have a clue where i can go from here?

Last edited:
Did you right click the icon with the bars to see which connections are available? Maybe you haven't configured your wifi to automatically connect and you'll need to submit a passkey.

Did you right click the icon with the bars to see which connections are available? Maybe you haven't configured your wifi to automatically connect and you'll need to submit a passkey.

The problem is, it doesnt find any, theres about 15 where i live and it finds non of them, my own is less the a meter away.

I assume these wifi NIC's work in other mobos right?

Perhaps a mucked up pci slot, or bad drivers from atheros.

Do you have any other brands to try?

I assume these wifi NIC's work in other mobos right?

Perhaps a mucked up pci slot, or bad drivers from atheros.

Do you have any other brands to try?

I dont have other brands to try no, but the cards use 2 different drivers.

I find it very odd. For some reason MSI dont want to hand out the keyboard driver to make the FN+xxxx buttons work, that would have been nice, to see if it was turning off the wifi card.:eh?:

I am fully lost on this one for the moment, and a laptop is near useless without Wifi, for someone that uses it to browse facebook mainly.

Have you tried right clicking the connection under network adapters (start > run > ncpa.cpl) and clicking diagnose? On my laptop I've had an issue with the airplane mode fn key where it wouldn't turn on the connection, even though it was connected. With the diagnose, it would pick it up and re-enable it for me.

Have you tried right clicking the connection under network adapters (start > run > ncpa.cpl) and clicking diagnose? On my laptop I've had an issue with the airplane mode fn key where it wouldn't turn on the connection, even though it was connected. With the diagnose, it would pick it up and re-enable it for me.

Have not, but will for sure. :thup:

Back