• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software for designing a custom case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TurboJ

Registered
I have been thinking about starting a long-term project, that of building my first custom PC case.

I've worked with different materials and using tools I'm quite familiar with.
I have some ideas for a case, but what I really need is a software to design my case with.

The software needs to be free, and it has to be 3D - also it has to have a metric measurement system - so that the various components etc. could be drawn their correct sizes (I'm European).

Can you give me suggestions?

Thanks! Seems that software is no longer offered though, and all I can find now are commercial products.

Anyone?

"Free for a limited time" and I can't see what that limited time is nor can I see what the final price is...

Also, the link to SketchUp -> I already downloaded it earlier, but it stated '8 hour free trial'

I'm not sure why it says that, as the product was developed to be a free, watered down hybrid of AutoCAD and Inventor (their two biggest mainline products). It should be free indefinitely.

Disclaimer: my girlfriend works for Autodesk and runs a lot of the social media marketing for Fusion 360. She told me told me that it's 100% free, with no final cost or trial length.

fusion 360 is $40 a month or $300 a year. The trial is 90 days.

Sketch up is still available. Google spun the company off and sold it.

<http://www.freecadweb.org/>
All CAD programs can use a scale for modeling in the software of 1:1
then you scale the 2-d drawing print - outs / blueprints.
Best of luck with the CAD designing!
Remember the heart of 3D is using coordinate systems.

Back