• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth changing to this card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poco242

Pretty much a side-grade.
What budget are you working with?

I was just thinking in the $150 range. I was going to put the old (only 6 months old) card in an HTPC to help it with blue ray movies.

I was just hoping the card would be a little improvement and the extra gig of memory may make it even better. I guess I could get a second later and run them in crossfire ;)

Unless you get a good deal on something used you'll be pretty much sidegrading.
You could look into the 750Ti, it'll give you a bit more of a boost than the 260X.

Or a cheaper used card for the HTPC. It shouldn't need anything too heavy to run bluray

Not bad, but is that small bump worth $150 to you?

Keep in mind that the HTPC could be run off a ~$20-30 passive cooled GPU.

The thing is I need to build another computer for my Daughter so I will have a place for all of the "extra" parts I have.

The R9 270X would be a huge jump. I may just bite the bullet and go that route.

The thing is I need to build another computer for my Daughter so I will have a place for all of the "extra" parts I have.

The R9 270X would be a huge jump. I may just bite the bullet and go that route.

I think either the 270X or 760 would give the "jump" you're looking for.

Yeah, if you need to build another machine, definitely just grab an upgrade.
Might check out the classifieds here if you have all the requirements, there's some good deals that roll through.

I have 7770's a 7850 and now some gtx760 oc cards.
the gtx 760 oc cards can be had from microcenter in the low$200's for the 2 gig cards.
at that price they are very good bang for the buck.
go look at this months overcloctagon for some ideas.

I ended up getting an MSI R9 270. It was $179, and everything I read about it said it overclocked easily and the performance was great. So far I love it. My bench scores almost doubled on 3D Mark 11.

Back