• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom setup for motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I want to make a benching station, and since i have a lot of steel available free, thats my weapon of choice.

But as far as mounting the motherboard on a steel plate, i figured could be an issue.

Now most if not all cases are steel, but the risers for the motherboard are normally brass.

I wish to use stainless steel as risers, i was just wondering if this would be a problem, as long as they are not bigger then the "Circular" mounting area on the motherboard?

images

Not that i would do this, but if this is possible, then i should be safe?
badapple016.jpg

Looking forward to the answers i so badly want to hear :)

Hey guys,

I want to make a benching station, and since i have a lot of steel available free, thats my weapon of choice.

But as far as mounting the motherboard on a steel plate, i figured could be an issue.

Now most if not all cases are steel, but the risers for the motherboard are normally brass.

I wish to use stainless steel as risers, i was just wondering if this would be a problem, as long as they are not bigger then the "Circular" mounting area on the motherboard?

images

Not that i would do this, but if this is possible, then i should be safe?
badapple016.jpg

Looking forward to the answers i so badly want to hear :)

You can make your risers out of lightning for all I care, so long as you ensure nothing's being contacted circut wise. As long as you're careful, sure you're not shorting anything, and not cracking the PCB, you should be 100% fine. My old, homemade benching table has old nuts and bolts on it like that picture, haha

I was going to say that i nailed a motherboard to a chunk of wood once ( I really did.) and so long as the solder chunks don't touch the wood i knew i was fine... Still have the board PC it's pretty cool actually :D

Actually with wood I think you would've be fine if they had touched, it's non conductive so it wouldn't have created a Short, but no promises lol

i stuck some 6/32 machine screws through a board with some 1/8" air tube going over them as spacers for the board to sit on, works great :)

then again i have used about 3 screws to hold in a motherboard before.

At the moment it is looking like 7mm stainless steel spacers. 5mm in diameter.

Should look alright once its all done.

Last edited:
There are #6 plastic washers, which will help avoid certain parts of the motherboards touching the #6-32 nuts.

You might even epoxy them down...carefully.

Back