• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimus G not recognized by PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automiketic

Ok so got an LG optimus G a few months ago. Being a nerd I went ahead and installed Cyanogenmod on it and was happy for awhile. Now when I got this phone it worked okay for tranferring data from phone to pc but did not work in ADB mode. I figured it might just be a driver issue and since I didn't need it I didnt really care. Phone always charged fine. Well then I installed a recovery that does not support sd cards and wiped the internal memory. Now I can get into recovery, fastboot, and download mode. I have tried numerous PC's to no avail. REplaced the USB port thinking that was it. Still nothing. Phone is not recognized by any pc in download mode. Any suggestions?

Are you using a usb data cord? Some usb cords are made for charging only.

I had an older Motorola Photon 4G (2011), that I dropped, and got a refurb replacement. I had problems with it wanting to restart all the time, and, like you said, had problems connecting to PC's after I tried to install a driver from within the phone to my PC. Something happened to the files that corrupted it. After getting a new phone, and letting that one sit for a year, I think it works now. The problem with older Android phones, e.g. Gingerbread, is that there wasn't an option in setting to select a usb connection type like there is in the newer 4.0 and later. In Gingerbread, you would have to wait for a detection from Windows to get a notification in the Notification window slider to select a connection type. It's where a lot of people have problems.

Yeah I tried multiple cables from an old motorola data service cable to the stock lg to some cheap ones that i had. This is a newer phone but its not even getting to os so thats not the issue here. at this point im starting to think its something with the motherboard

Well then I installed a recovery that does not support sd cards and wiped the internal memory. Now I can get into recovery, fastboot, and download mode. I have tried numerous PC's to no avail. REplaced the USB port thinking that was it. Still nothing. Phone is not recognized by any pc in download mode. Any suggestions?

Can or can't?

Have you turned on USB debug? Have you switched the USB connection from MTP to PTP?

CAN. But there is no os(ROM) installed on the phone so there is no usb debugging mtp or ptp. I can get to adb sideload, reocvery, fastboot and download mode. none of which make pc recognize phone with or without drivers installed. Phone charges fine and just replaced usb port to see if that fixed to no avail.

So there's no OS on the phone, and the PC doesn't recognize the phone... but you can still adb sideload/recovery/fastboot? Why can't you go into recovery, push a CM zip on there, and flash it?

I can get into recovery, I have twrp installed and i can get to adb side load from there but pc does not see any adb devices or anything at all. the version of twrp i have installed doesnt support sd cards and i have no roms stored on the internal memory because i formatted it like an idiot. :bang head

Yes I can get to recovery without an issue. The problem is getting the pc to recognize phone that is the only way i can fix it at this point

None of my phones are "recognized" by windows when they are in recovery. rooted DroidDNA, rooted HTC One V, rooted MOTO X, and a few stock ROM phones.

Do you mean fastboot commands don't work??

if all else fails you can goto your carriers forums (or here) and find the flash files to unroot and reinstall "stock" firmware (Had to do it when I bricked my One V)

just use ASDK to push your ROM onto the phone. It doesn't need to be recognized. If you are using CWM it should be as easy as flashing the phone. (need to be in mounts & storage in recovery)

What ROM are you using that doesn't recognize an SD card?

Attachments

• cmdk.png
    cmdk.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 2,852
Last edited:
It's not a rom that doesnt except the sd card is the recovery. Im running a version of TWRP required for Kit Kat OS and it doesn't have support for sd cards. Upon going to flash the new rom I accidently did a full wipe including internal memory so i no longer have an os what so ever. I can only get to recovery , fastboot and download mode. And on my previous phones when connecting it to a pc even in adb or fastboot mode the pc recognizes the phone not as storage device but as an adb device. Instead there is no indication on the pc's end that the phone is connected, on the phone's end the phone does charge. To restore I would need to use LGNPST which I have tried but does not find the device. I have not tried to just send adb commands yet as I figured since phone was being recognized it wouldnt work but I will have to give that a try, though I dont have high hopes.

Wait a minute... if it's recognized as an adb device, then you should be able to use adb commands. You can push files onto the sdcard like the picture shown above (like a new ROM), flash the recovery to something like CWM, boot into the bootloader and then into recovery, and then flash the ROM.

Or am I missing something?

Wait a minute... if it's recognized as an adb device, then you should be able to use adb commands. You can push files onto the sdcard like the picture shown above (like a new ROM), flash the recovery to something like CWM, boot into the bootloader and then into recovery, and then flash the ROM.

No that's how it's suppose to work. His TWRP Recovery doesn't recognize the external sdcard apparently. Should still be able to push the ROM to internal storage though. (i can, but my DNA doesn't have an external SDcard.. still has the directory though /sdcard is my internal storage /extSDcard is a blank directory for me

Something like

Code:
adb push ROM.zip /sdcard/ROM.zip
adb boot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery RECOVERY.img

Boot into recovery, now it will load the RECOVERY.img like CWM instead of the default recovery. Flash ROM and reboot.

It's not a rom that doesnt except the sd card is the recovery. Im running a version of TWRP required for Kit Kat OS and it doesn't have support for sd cards. Upon going to flash the new rom I accidently did a full wipe including internal memory so i no longer have an os what so ever. I can only get to recovery , fastboot and download mode. And on my previous phones when connecting it to a pc even in adb or fastboot mode the pc recognizes the phone not as storage device but as an adb device. Instead there is no indication on the pc's end that the phone is connected, on the phone's end the phone does charge. To restore I would need to use LGNPST which I have tried but does not find the device. I have not tried to just send adb commands yet as I figured since phone was being recognized it wouldnt work but I will have to give that a try, though I dont have high hopes.

I have yet to try running adb commands even though the pc doesnt recognized the device but I doubt that will help :cry:

Thanks I will give that try I think I have already tbh but not since I replaced the USB port so we shall see :)

Ok so went at this again last night for a couple of hours to no avail. Used a computer with a fresh install of windows. First I tried the KDZ method then tried using LGNPST. But neither were able to find my device to send commands to it. I tried about 12 different cables and 4 different usb ports. Phone would charge when connected but PC would not indicate that anything was connected. I aslo tried sending commands in adb and fast boot to no avail once again because no device was connected. The only thing I can think of at this point is something is shot on the motherboard itself. Open to other suggestions though,.....

Back