• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Corsair Hydro Series H50: Is It High-End Air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sorry, let me clarify: I feel like listing it only as "watercooling system" is misleading to the consumer. It should be very clearly listed what kind of watercooling system it is, regardless of whether it's an h50 or a fully custom loop. I think that the companies who do this are taking advantage of the consumers who are less educated to make some extra money for themselves, which I personally feel is a bad business practice...I think what you're getting should be clearly laid out on the ordering page. Didn't mean to stir up any commotion, just wanted to make a note on the practices of the companies who (by their pricing) act like these systems are god in a cup.

What you're talking about, then, is the fine art of "advertising". That subject could be discussed ad nauseum without anything really being settled and would best be left for it's own thread ...

What you're talking about, then, is the fine art of "advertising". That subject could be discussed ad nauseum without anything really being settled and would best be left for it's own thread ...

Smart man, that QuietIce. A wise person would listen to him. :rock:

muddocktor another nice write up thanks.

When you talk about the plastic mount system on the back I wasn't to fond of it but it does like you said but when I had the H50 (on Asus P6X58D Premium, intel i7 920) the one thing that I noticed is that it did not mount firm against the cpu on my system and I believe that they would do better if they where to modify the plastic clip system that they put in the retaining ring for the pump/heat sink, the plastic clips actually held it off just a hair to much and I believe this may have been part of the reason I did not get good temps with the one that I had. I wonder if they where to implement something with springs pushing against the pump/heat sink so it applied pressure against the cpu rather than the plastic stand offs they may have better results.

I'd like to see some head to head results w/ the H50/H70 and the Coolit Vantage.....since I have the Vantage sitting in the box under my desk just waiting to be installed....just not sure it's going to be better than what I have now...:cool:

muddocktor another nice write up thanks.

When you talk about the plastic mount system on the back I wasn't to fond of it but it does like you said but when I had the H50 (on Asus P6X58D Premium, intel i7 920) the one thing that I noticed is that it did not mount firm against the cpu on my system and I believe that they would do better if they where to modify the plastic clip system that they put in the retaining ring for the pump/heat sink, the plastic clips actually held it off just a hair to much and I believe this may have been part of the reason I did not get good temps with the one that I had. I wonder if they where to implement something with springs pushing against the pump/heat sink so it applied pressure against the cpu rather than the plastic stand offs they may have better results.

Are you talking about the plastic nubs that are on the pump unit itself? Because the retention ring on the H50 I tested was made of steel and the plastic nubs fit right through then I twisted the pump/wb assembly to put those nubs behind the retention ring and then tightened it down and I got a very firm mount on it. I wonder if they changed up some of the mounting hardware from your unit to the one I tested? I was mounting on a vanilla P6T instead of a P6X58D Deluxe.

I'd like to see some head to head results w/ the H50/H70 and the Coolit Vantage.....since I have the Vantage sitting in the box under my desk just waiting to be installed....just not sure it's going to be better than what I have now...:cool:

I don't have the Coolit Vantage, but I will be testing the H70 head to head on my same test platform, which was what I was teasing about above.:p Maybe in the future I will be able to test the Vantage if it becomes available.

Are you talking about the plastic nubs that are on the pump unit itself? Because the retention ring on the H50 I tested was made of steel and the plastic nubs fit right through then I twisted the pump/wb assembly to put those nubs behind the retention ring and then tightened it down and I got a very firm mount on it. I wonder if they changed up some of the mounting hardware from your unit to the one I tested? I was mounting on a vanilla P6T instead of a P6X58D Deluxe.

I don't have the Coolit Vantage, but I will be testing the H70 head to head on my same test platform, which was what I was teasing about above.:p Maybe in the future I will be able to test the Vantage if it becomes available.

I have one you can use....send me a PM.

bill

I'm in that group that has one of the all in one systems. I have one of the ECO systems and I absolutely love it. Like a few before me though, once I can afford to, I intend to do a much larger WC loop with a triple or quad rad set up.

The smaller systems may not be full on WC but they ARE liquid cooling. I know for a fact you can get single 120mm rads. If I were to build a single 120mm rad WC set up would you still tell me I'm not "really" WCing?

I think that people who see this as a foray into WC should be encouraged. Labeling these as anything other than a beginner WC set up would be a mistake, they can still rupture a hose and destroy your components just like the big boys. I agree it's definitely not high end WC, but it's WC none the less.

H70=epic noob status water cooling, and thats y i have it lol... I hope to get a nice triple rad loop but currently don't have the funds or the balls to put that much water in my case so i guess the H70 will have to do for now...

Yes the plastic inserts that go into the retaining ring, according to what I was able to find there where two types of mounts made and if you had the plastic back ring then you had the latest style, which is what I had.

these LCLC systems have a place, were already seeing people using them in mITX rigs (mia springs to mind here). In these kinda rigs where you have limited space, either a full WC loop or high end air just isn't practical (not saying it cant be done, but for many (not all) its just not gona happen). Now mITX boards are coming out with standard cpu sockets (such as 775, etc) and full 16 lane PCIe and chassis are able to support double slot GPU's this type of cooling seems to make sense to me.

LOL! But to some extent he's right. These units aren't a whole lot different than running an Apogee drive with an MCR120. Even though we'd call that a really small loop I think we all accept those components as "water cooling" parts ... :shrug:

While I will have a lot on my plate when I get in from the rig, I do have an Apogee Drive unit and an old D-Tek single fan rad (modded Chevette heater core I believe) and it might be interesting to see how the H50 stacks up against it on a 775 setup. The D-Tek rad is at least twice as thick as the H50 rad and has less fins per inch, so it will be interesting to see how they fare against each other. Maybe something I can test in the future. I can use my overclocked Q6600 system as the testbed board, since that Q6600 is also pushing around 200 watts heatload at it's overclock.

I recently was looking into this H50 cooling system from Corsair.
I have to say that after reviewing that excellent article on the test made by mdcomp I now have my doubts.

My Mobo is LGA775 (Gigabyte P35) and I have a Q6600 CPU cooled by OCZ Vanquisher cooler; which for me has done an EXTREMELY good job cooling my CPU.

My CPU is stock, I've never done OC on it, but I'm now thinking of doing some.
So my question is: Is it worth to acquire the H50 having the OCZ V.?

PS: Keep in mind that money is a big deal for me because prices duplicate when I ship things to my country...

I'd start by seeing how far you can get on that cooler. If it's a G0 stepping, 3.6 GHz isn't a crazy number, though it's easier to keep temps under control with water. 3.2 GHz is a walk in the park for most G0's

If it's a B3 stepping things will be more difficult. 3.0-3.2 GHz maybe? You'd almost definitely need water above that on a B3 IIRC.

I'm pretty sure it's G0.
If you think 3.2 Ghz is possible, then I think I'll stick with the Vanquisher. 3.4 Ghz would be GREAT though.

I'll run some tests tonight to see how it performs.

you can check before you do it...cpuz will show you, lemmie go markup a screenie for you.

EDIT: attached...and yes, I did pick my highest cpuz stable OC just to show off :D

there's a field that says stepping and a field that says revision, revision is the one you want to look at.

Attachments

• stepping.png
    stepping.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 108
Back