• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Corsair Obsidian Series 550D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Erik89

Hey guys.

I was thinking about getting a Corsair Obsidian Series 550D case, do you have any experience with it?

The only two issues I know of with that case are the recessed MOBO plate won't allow one to use all the SATA ports on an extended ATX MOBO (not an issue for most people but was one for me) and the case side panels require a bit of swing room to get them off (also an issue for me). Other than that, it's a sweet looking case. While I personally don't like front doors, they do quiet a case down and Corsair had the good sense to hinge it on the right side of the case (why other manufacturers swing to the left is beyond me).

I ended up buying the 550D. So far I'm very pleased with it, it has some smart features and it was easy to modify.

Here is what I ended up with:

Side view. The cables are hugging the far side of the case, so it is not as messy as it looks :p

20140722_121727_Android.JPG

View of the front. I removed both the HDD bays to get better airflow, and used the stock 120mm rear exhaust fan to create direction.

20140722_121809_Android.JPG

View of the radiators, sorry about the poor image quality.

20140722_121823_Android.JPG

I also added this 200mm fan in the door, with padding around it for noise control and flow control.

20140722_121740_Android.JPG

And made a zip tie solution to hold the door so it doesn't fall of when I open it, this way it stays partially open. So I can open the door when I need more airflow and close it to get less noise.

20140722_121851_Android.JPG

Door closed:

DSC_000001.JPG

The only two issues I know of with that case are the recessed MOBO plate won't allow one to use all the SATA ports on an extended ATX MOBO (not an issue for most people but was one for me) and the case side panels require a bit of swing room to get them off (also an issue for me). Other than that, it's a sweet looking case. While I personally don't like front doors, they do quiet a case down and Corsair had the good sense to hinge it on the right side of the case (why other manufacturers swing to the left is beyond me).

The front door is hinged on both sides, so you can open it both ways :)

Back