• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8U Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuriousGeorge

I use a 4U rackmount case for my HTPC. It's not that ugly, and with the subwoofer on top of it and the receiver next to it, it just looks like a generic component of the audio system.

I use a 4U case because I like the "desktop style" orientation for an HTPC, and because you get a decent amount of space, and the ability to use standard ATX PSUs.

Not as much space as one of nicer full tower cases, though.

I've never tried water cooling because it would be a nightmare, but something like an 8U case would make that easier.

There are a few 8U cases around, but they are really fugly stuff that only belongs in a server rack in a server room (unfortunately my receiver is rackmount, or I'd consider it.)

On Newegg a few companies like ARK make an entry level 4U case (~70 US $). I have a couple of used ones on hand. I've always been tempted to cut the bottom off of one and stick it on top of the other.

Not only would you have room for four 80mm and two 120mm fans, but you could set up water cooling, redundant/split PSUs, water cooling, drives, GPUs, etc that anyone could want.

Plus, I don't think it would look bad in a server rack with other rackmountable home theater components.

I guess the point of this thread is to ask, has anyone else ever thought about this?

I used an 8U once. The front was pretty fugly, so I made one of 3/4" plywood, rounded all the edges, coated with a single layer of fiberglass, and painted it black.
Mine came from servercase.com, but they only seem to be catering to raid arrays now, and are NOT CHEAP with all those removable bays on the front.

This was back before gamer cases, and it was hard to find one that even held 4+ drives without moving to small server case that looked like a studebaker married a tank...

Thanks for reply digger.

I think I'm gonna give this a try. Maybe I'll even try water cooling if it works out.

BTW, funny coincidence that on another forum (security cameras) someone named Digger11 just responded to one of my posts. What are the odds that it was you too? Probably slim to none.

It wasn't me, though I have installed a few dozen cameras as a network tech...:)

My good usernames get swiped sometimes. Diggrr, Bad Johnny too. Wouldn't be surprised if Furious George was out there somewhere, cause that's a groovy handle too!

Back