Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

New computer build ..Opinions please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 08:38 AM Thread Starter   #1
kkey1066

New computer build ..Opinions please

Hi folks im back here after about a million years absence. Im building a computer for my guest room / spare and wanted to lay out the items I have for the build so the experts here could maybe see if it looks generally compatible. I want to put it together tonite.

Build materials:
Motherboard: Asrock 970 extreme3
Processor: FX4170 Black edition
Ram: 1 stick (4gigs) Mushkin silver 1333 ddr3
Video card: EVGA 7950 GT KO ( I know its old but it should play Left4dead pretty well.)
Power: 680 watts with 8 pin (2x4) and 24 pin (I forget the brand it was cheap)
Drive: I still have to get one on Friday (payday) my old drive is a IDE 160 gig and It has failed to boot so much that I think it is fried...

Its been about 4 years since I assembled my last computer.

I dont plan to overclock although this setup seems to promote that from what I have read so far.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice. : )

kkey1066

Last edited by kkey1066; 06-21-12 at 08:48 AM. Reason: add video card info
kkey1066 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-21-12, 08:47 AM   #2
manu2b

Avoid cheap PSUs...

A good 550w (Corsair, OCZ...) is much better than a cheap 750w. The whole system depends on the power supply.

What GPU do you plan on getting?

Better going with 2 matched RAM modules, as they work in dual channel.

What do you plan doing with this computer?

256GB 840 Evo + 60GB Corsair Nova60 + 1TB Seagate Barracuda
Corsair CX600
Sapphire R9 290(x) unlocked@1175/1325

Mining: 8*280x and main rig.
manu2b is offline Benching Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-21-12, 09:00 AM   #3
Mjolnir

If you don't plan to overclock; go Intel. An i5 3450 or something.. What's your max budget and where are you buying from? Is there a particular reason you're using Windows XP? It's nice but... Old now. I can't recommend it anymore lol. Windows 7 is far better at memory management and everything else.

RAM - 16GB G Skill Ares 1866CL10
GPU - Asus GTX 670 DCUII
Storage - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB + 1TB WD Blue 2.5"
Case - Ncase(Lian Li) M1
PSU - Silverstone SFX 450W Gold Modular
OS - Windows 7 Ult 64
Peripherals - Leopold FC700R Graphite Brown MX + G500 Mouse
Screen(s) - Dell U2711
Audio - Audioengine 5+ + Audioengine D1 + Wharfdale SW150 /w Shure SRH 1840 Headphones
Mjolnir is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-21-12, 11:09 AM   #4
Knufire

Hey, welcome to OCF!

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!
  • What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost
  • (OPTIONAL) Have you already looked at or considered any parts (it's okay if you haven't)? If so, please list your top 1-2 choices for each category. If you've only picked out a few of the below, just list those.
    • CPU
    • Motherboard
    • RAM
    • Graphics Card
    • Power Supply
    • Case
    • Hard Drive
    • Solid State Drive (optional)
    • Mouse (if necessary)
    • Keyboard (if necessary)
    • Monitor (if necessary)
    • Speakers/Headset (if necessary)
Once again, thank you in advannce for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF!

Secondary Rig:
CM Elite 430 | A8-3870K stock | Radeon HD 6670 | 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 4GB G.SKILL DDR3-1333 | ASUS A55

Knufire is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-24-12, 08:49 AM Thread Starter   #5
kkey1066

Thanks glad to be back

Finished building the computer day before yesterday. Ended up having to buy a Seagate drive as the old one was dead. Im finding out how old this Geforce seven series is tho (EVGA 7950 GT KO Superclocked) with modern games it lags a bit but is fine for a guest computer. Thanks for the replies. I consider this thread completed. I'm Glad I came back and registered. THANKS! : )
kkey1066 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.