• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair, Honesty???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarHippy

Registered
http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/installing-the-hydro-series-h100-in-the-carbide-400r/

Thanks, i'm a member of overclockers.com . Before I posted this last reply, I looked in their forums for 'PSU fan doesn't start', and in that discussion, several people replied that if the fan doesn't come on, the PSU is bad. You don't need to be knowledgeable to post help for threads needing an answer, which is unfortunate, so I posted my PSU by model, and stated that, unless my power supply had a sensor controlled fan, my PSU needed to be taken back to the store. Luckily the site owner posted the reply like yours, before I added it to the gigabyte board I returned. I discovered what I think is the source of my problems. When someone buys hardware at Fry's Electronics and they return it, for whatever reason, the store discounts it and puts it on the shelves again. The sales guy accidentally told me that the only ASUS or Gigabyte he had left were restocked boards. You might be buying new hardware that someone else has already taken home and screwed up beyong repair. I bought my last three non-working boards there..
On a side note, this Corsair blog, http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/installing-the-hydro-series-h100-in-the-carbide-400r/ , should be removed, as it is an official gross misrepresentation of your product. The reason being, the photo showing install of the fans:
1> shows plenty of space for the radiator and fans
2> has wire routing holes above the m-board, which the 400R doesn't have.
3> has a top rear grill, as shown in the top left of the picture, Only available with the $300 Obsidium 800D
This kind of false advertising is EXACTLY the reason that so many people try to build a pc and fail. And this is directly from one of the top names in the computer hardware industry. And Frys Electronics is one of the largest sellers of computer parts.
The reason I'm posting this is because I've been in computer building hell for the last three weeks. Three builds wouldn't even post, no matter what combination, or lack of hardware that I tried. I was feeling like a spaced out failure. Then I received an updated BIOS chip from ASUS, for one of the boards. After I popped it in, that system fired right up and I was able to update everything to keep it stable.
This started as a reply to Corsairs tech support, after i bought their 400R case, H100 water cooling system, and tried to fit an ASUS Crosshair V in. and there wasn't room for it. ASUS didn't claim to be compatible with Corsairs combination, But corsair not only claimed that their cooler and case were compatible with each other, they stated they were compatible with performance motherboards. The cooler hits the heat sink on the Crosshair V , I read a post where it interfered with the ram on a different board.
I remember when hardware had to work when installed, (except when a component was defective for some reason) in order to have "IBM Compatible" on the box. Commodore went out of business because they refused to even go that far. Now, you need to pick your motherboard, make a list of the hardware you are going to used, by searching the QVL's for the m-board, then make sure each component not only works with the m-board, but works with each other. And recently added new audio, video, and storage formats to complicate compatibility even more. All to run the operating system thats on 95 percent of the pc's, and the same company making the OS, as when "IBM Compatible" meant something..

I cant make heads or tails of this...and I apologize. What is the point here? Who is this for? In one breath it appears like a warning to other users, and in another you are directly talking to Corsair? :shrug:

1. I dont know about plenty, but it fits...
2. I see what you are saying here, in one picture it shows those holes above the mobo, but the last picture it does not...
3. Obsidian 800D, but yes, you are right.

It looks like a one picture is from a different case, that is for sure. But it appears the last picture it fits. Corsair cannot test compatibility with EVERY motherboard, case and ram combination made though. :(

Last edited:
Agreed with EarthDog I don't quite understand where this post was going as it is all over the place. Who was it targeted for?

This started as a reply to Corsairs tech support, after i bought their 400R case, H100 water cooling system, and tried to fit an ASUS Crosshair V in. and there wasn't room for it. ASUS didn't claim to be compatible with Corsairs combination, But corsair not only claimed that their cooler and case were compatible with each other, they stated they were compatible with performance motherboards. The cooler hits the heat sink on the Crosshair V , I read a post where it interfered with the ram on a different board.

I thought this^^ explained where I was going, with my seemingly mindless rantings. But, I forgot an important part of it. I decided that this information would be better served in a forum, where many people would see it, and maybe not make this mistake like I did, rather than sending it to a Corsair rep, and he would be the only person who would ever see it.
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the thread to discuss our experiences with computer component vendors. And yet, the info I submitted in this thread seemed to be completely discounted, in favor of commenting on how I presented it.
I joined this forum because I like helping people, if it's a subject that I'm knowledgeable in. And my knowledge of computers dates back to 1983, when I bought my 1st Atari 800 and started tinkering with it. I've tinkered in Assembly Language and C++ programming, extensive computer security, and I've been building performance computers since 2000.
If I'm not welcome here, I can just as easily join another forum to help people with computer problems. I don't think I made a post in these forums that hasn't caused a wise acre reply, or misinformation that I already know isn't right. I hope this reply doesn't look as scatter brained as the last post appeared.

You are certainly welcome here... not sure why you have an alternate impression...(I checked your posts and I didnt see any snarky comments towards you...just correcting information).

The post was difficult to follow as it was written and it was noted by a couple people (so at least it wasnt just one person that was off the mark). That said, I personally attempted to answer your questions/statements/rant (the numbered ones).

As far as the issue, thank you for clarifying the issue and posting it. It seems simple to me that their compatibility chart has some issues. Along with posting it here (in the future, in a more legible manner) I think its a good idea to send it to corsair to correct their images on the install, and their compatibility charts. That will help others who do not belong to this site to get the proper information as well.

Last edited:
Back