• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master CM690 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:bang head:bang head:bang head

Guys,

I stumbled across this topic, and was not happy to read that the TR 120 Ectreme HSF will prevent me from using all of the available fan locations.

I want to be sure I understand correctly: If mounted so that the fan blows air through the heatsink and out the back, I cannot use the TOP Fans?

If mounted so the fan blows air through the heatsink and out the top, I can?

Is the cooler so tall that I can't use both fans on the side panel? I dont mind losing the one fan on the side panel, but would like to be able to use the fans in the top of the case.

Has anyone verified which mounting orientation is best for the thermalright heatsink? I want the lowest temps possible, as I will be overclocking my CPU and don't want to be hels back by high temps.

BTW, I know cpu locantions can vary slightly based on which mobo you are running, so for what it's worth, the mobo will most likely be an asus Maximus formula or Maximus extreme.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

You can mount the TRUE in either direction. I had it both ways and prefer to have it blowing out the back. It's a little tight, but there's about a 1/2 inch clearance using 140x25 mm Yates on the top.

Pic for reference.... :D

wires.jpg

You can mount the TRUE in either direction. I had it both ways and prefer to have it blowing out the back. It's a little tight, but there's about a 1/2 inch clearance using 140x25 mm Yates on the top.

Thanks for the quick response. I dont have my motherboard yet, si I cant check clearance for myself.....this helps.

One Question though, does the fan on top (front) rob some of the air that the TR120 fan should be pulling through the heatsink?

I like the idea of facing the TR so it exhausts right out the back, since I am forced to put the case inside my desk. This may sound horrible where temps are concerned, but there is a door that opens on the back of the desk, and hot air does have a place to escape, so I shouldnt be at too much of a disadvantage.

I went from a case that had my TRUE blowing upward straight into the PSU to this baby that blows it right out of the top, and to be honest with you, my temps haven't changed a degree on the cpu. The Northbridge and GPU temps dropped but not the CPU. So, the TRUE seems to perform just as well with two 120mm fans on the top. I got this case mostly to keep my PSU cool and for the extra room. I would say you should be fine.

I went from a case that had my TRUE blowing upward straight into the PSU to this baby that blows it right out of the top, and to be honest with you, my temps haven't changed a degree on the cpu. The Northbridge and GPU temps dropped but not the CPU. So, the TRUE seems to perform just as well with two 120mm fans on the top. I got this case mostly to keep my PSU cool and for the extra room. I would say you should be fine.

Thanks! I agree with what you are saying about the PSU. I cant believe more high performance cases don't mount the PSU on the bottom with an intake opening down there. Just seems like a no brainer.

Will this case fit a nvidia quadro card?, i'm looking for a new low end quad workstation, 550W power supply, Asus deluxe MB, tower cooler? raptor 150 + WD500

Let me get the dimension of the card and I will check for you.

Which model?

Thanks, it's 9" long should be fine. newegg has a good deal with the 550 psu included, i'm thinking that unit should be just enough

Yay just got back my rebate for my CM690 LOL.

It took a total of 2months.

$20 for me :)

I'm considering picking up one of these for my next PC, I'd like to pop a 2x120 radiator up top, and I can say that it would certainly fit, running the hoses might be a bit of a headache, and bleeding could be very challenging with a radiator up top, but I'll work it out somehow if I ever find a giant pile of money sitting around <.<

Back