• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1TB external drive 109.99 at Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is it just me or do such large drives on USB 2.0 make other people go :-/

I'd want eSATA at least, Firewire is kind of rare, USB 3.0 is probably when I'll consider a USB external drive though.

I use a 1TB usb 2.0 drive for backing up my critical data weekly. Works fine for incremental backups, and you only have to do that one large backup every once and a while...

There's definitely a use for usb 2.0 ... I would prefer esata but I'm not there yet...

I run all my video games and programs off of my external hd, using usb 2.0. No problems at all and very fast. Not sure why people have problems with this, but perhaps more advanced usage of computers would require more powerful methods of memory storage/usage.

Well, I wouldn't use it for programs myself although I suppose it's a matter of what you're used to. The speeds a USB drive gets are probably about the same as drives from 4-5 years ago, I'd be interested to know what the seek times are too though.

Well I mean I don't play any intensive games, but for example I use to run HL2 and CSS off of it. I never really found it a problem because the rest of my specs aren't too grand (4 year old laptop using 1.67 ghz pentium m cpu and a 32 mb vram radeon 9600, so not that powerful). For music there isn't a delay at all(well I'm sure there is but it is within miliseconds).

I am a patient guy and speed is not my priority(usually speed = money in cars and computers!!!). Whatever does the trick works for me, and using an external to run everything definitely worked (and was rather conveniant).

Back