• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking the FX-6100!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrFizixHD

Hello, everyone!
Let me start off by saying I've never overclocked a CPU by myself before. My friend always used to do it for me but he has moved and there's no way for me to contact him.

Now that that's out of the way, I was wondering if anyone can help me overclock my FX-6100 CPU.
Just in case, I have posted pictures of the OC part of my bios here:
Part 1: Part 2:
My full specs are:
Motherboard: M5A78L-M LX PLUS
GPU: EVGA GTX 550ti
CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.30GHz
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120m Liquid Water Cooling
RAM: Kingston HyperX Red 8GB single module
Power Supply: 500W
HDD 1: Seagate Barracude 1TB internal (Games, programs, etc)
HDD 2: Intel SSD 80GB (OS)
Case: Rosewill Galaxy-03
Case cooling: 5 Internal case fans

Before I owned this CPU, I had a Phenom II 1045T 6 core processor, which my friend managed to overclock to 3.5GHz out of. I took a picture of the settings he used to overclock it, but I'm afraid to use the same settings in fear of breaking something.
Hopefully one of you can help me!
Thanks,
Sean.

One thing I would say right off the bat, your mobo(which I also have) is not good for overclocking, the power phase isn't really enough for pushing the FX series of chips. I upgraded to a m5a97 r2.0 and its just enough to run a FX4100 decent but not great. Your FX6100 needs a much more robust power delivery system to get to a good overclock.

One thing I would say right off the bat, your mobo(which I also have) is not good for overclocking, the power phase isn't really enough for pushing the FX series of chips. I upgraded to a m5a97 r2.0 and its just enough to run a FX4100 decent but not great. Your FX6100 needs a much more robust power delivery system to get to a good overclock.

Well both the Motherboard and CPU were given to me by a friend where he OC'd the processor to 4.1Ghz so that's why I'm asking.

Ok, yes you can overclock your cpu to probably, with your cooler, 4-4.2 (maybe higher), but i do not believe that you mobo vrm section will not be able to handle it for any extended period of time :/ I would wait a little and see what other advice comes your way, let me dig up some FX overclocking guides while you wait

The approach I would take would be to see how high you could get a stable overclock without having to add any (or at least very little) voltage to the CPU. So the initial strategy would be to increase the CPU clock multiplier in small increments (like .5x), stress test with the Prime95 "blend" mode for 20 minutes after each increment of increase and monitor for core and CPU socket temps during each stress test.

Do you have these three tools downloaded and installed yet?: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95? If not, please do and get back to us.

You really need to get a temp baseline at stock frequencies and voltages before you try to overclock so you will get an idea if there is any headroom (or how much) for overclocking.

So, open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 blend mode stress test. Before you close HWMonitor, capture a pic of the program interface and attach it with your next post.

To attach a pic (not link them like you did in your first post), first frame, capture and save the image to disc. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon at the top. This will load the file browser and uploader and the rest will be obvious.

The approach I would take would be to see how high you could get a stable overclock without having to add any (or at least very little) voltage to the CPU. So the initial strategy would be to increase the CPU clock multiplier in small increments (like .5x), stress test with the Prime95 "blend" mode for 20 minutes after each increment of increase and monitor for core and CPU socket temps during each stress test.

Do you have these three tools downloaded and installed yet?: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95? If not, please do and get back to us.

You really need to get a temp baseline at stock frequencies and voltages before you try to overclock so you will get an idea if there is any headroom (or how much) for overclocking.

So, open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run a 20 minute Prime95 blend mode stress test. Before you close HWMonitor, capture a pic of the program interface and attach it with your next post.

To attach a pic (not link them like you did in your first post), first frame, capture and save the image to disc. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip icon at the top. This will load the file browser and uploader and the rest will be obvious.

Thanks for the help everyone, but I managed to use the multiplier to get it up to a ratio of 20.0 (4000mhz) and turned off Turbo Core. I ran Prime95 for approximately 30 minutes with no errors what so ever. A successful 4Ghz.

If it will pass a Prime95 blend run of 2 hrs. you can consider it stable for most computing tasks.

Back