• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom built test bench

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Been busy the last couple of days with some scrap lumber and other odds and ends around the house so I scabbed together this test bench. Sure beats breadboarding on top of the motherboard box. Frame is made of 1"x2" lumber. Bottom is a leftover piece of shelving board. The video card stabilizer is made from one of those thin paddles the hardware gives you for stirring when you buy paint. If you look close you can see a 120mm fan fastened to the underside of the frame for the purpose of cooling the backside of the VRM/socket area. Notice the small blocks holding the motherboard off the frame to create backside ventilation. The PSU, optical drive and hard disk are stacked on top of one another and secured to the base with zip ties (If McGiver had of had access to zip ties he would have never gotten in to duct tape). The motherboard is held in place by tiny nails whose heads are a bit smaller than the holes which allows for quick installation/removal of the board. It just slips down over the heads of the nails. They're just studs, really that keep the board from shifting on the frame as you attach connectors, chords and such but don't really hold it down with pressure. Finally, I even put little rubber feet underneath the base to prevent the unit from sliding off the table top inadvertently as you are plugging things in.

Attachments

• IMG_1125.JPG
    IMG_1125.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 101
  • nails.jpg
    nails.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Pretty spiff "trents" without a double wadded handful of money. Now all you need to do is paint it a solid color and no one will be the wiser. Thanks for sharing man.
RGone...ster.:thup:

I love it Trents, best part is the paint stirring sticks to support the gpu. :thup:

Pretty spiff "trents" without a double wadded handful of money. Now all you need to do is paint it a solid color and no one will be the wiser. Thanks for sharing man.
RGone...ster.:thup:

I'd have to buy the paint.

Quick, Simple, easy to mod, natural coloring.... Got it all!

I give it 2 :thup: :thup:

Nice job.

Just keep me in mind, guys, when the annual ghetto mod award comes up.

Love the graffiti. If that is Les Stroud I met him last year in an airport.

Graffiti is from my brother :p

And yes, that is in fact Les Stoud! I can't believe that some here on OCF knows him and met him!! :drool: :thup:

I love Les Stroud, he's awesome!

[/THREADCRAPPING] Sorry trents... :bang head

Back