• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth Overclocking a AMD phenom ii x4 955 3,5ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sLoTh

Registered
Hello i have just started experiments with overclocking...

my rig is

* AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.5Ghz (Quad core)

* 8GB RAM Corsair 1600Mhz

* ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Moderboard

* ASUS 7850 2gb dcu2

* Hdd #1: Samsung SSD 830 128GB

* Hdd #2: Samsung HDD 500GB

* Fractal Design Define R3

* XFX Core 550W

I was reading in many forums and test and have read some in here to!

I am now trying AMD overdrive at 19x multi and gets 4118mhz and in stabillity test 12minutes i get a max temp of 61.3c idle temp about 45-46c

Is this a trustworthy setting for playing some games or is it way to hot?

The stabillity check temp is it at an upper level and when gaming it goes down?

Like i said i am very new to this and just tried up my settings on my graphic card yesterday and read many places same settings and it works great.

But with CPU i read alot of people running 20x multiper?

I have only changed the multiper in the AMD overdrive and it seems stable on 19x

Be nice to me now tho iam very noob with this! And i know there are alot of threads about it but the most of them are outdated 1-2 years ago

Hi and Welcome!!

You really need to overclock through bios for permanent settings.

61.3c idle temp about 45-46c

This is already maximum temp for this processor.

You need better cooling stacked!~

Be nice to me now tho iam very noob with this! And i know there are alot of threads about it but the most of them are outdated 1-2 years ago
The information still applies. ;)

XFX Core 550W

I'd upgrade this to minimum of 650w. You want some head room on your PSU. It'll help to run it cooler and also be able to add hardware later.

with open chassi the load temp in stab check drops with about 5 degrees,

its a very silent chassi and maybe thats wats make the temp a bit high?

I have the cooler master hyper 212 cooling at the moment and have not uped the volt anything

1 120mm fan in the back and
2 120mm fan in the front

with open chassi the load temp in stab check drops with about 5 degrees,

its a very silent chassi and maybe thats wats make the temp a bit high?

Yes this is a problem. You want to look into a Gamers case. These usually have lots of fans....

I have the cooler master hyper 212 cooling at the moment and have not uped the volt anything

2 120mm fan in the front

The mod is good, but the chip makes a difference too. C2 runs hotter than C3. This is the revision of steppings for the Cpu. I would like to know which one you have before getting deeper into cooling and overclocking.

Simply open cpu-z and have a look.

Hmm, ya I'd not OC this chip at this time. 62c is too hot..... :(

19x multi and gets 4118mhz

My last comment, disregard.

Your already up there buddy!

4Ghz is a sweet spot. If you can get it there through bios and pas stability testing, I'd keep the OC, but would seek for mid 50c temps.

My last comment, disregard.

Your already up there buddy!

4Ghz is a sweet spot. If you can get it there through bios and pas stability testing, I'd keep the OC, but would seek for mid 50c temps.

Thats the thing i suck on handling BIOS thats why i use the AMD overdrive...

19x i get 4118 and with 18.5x i get 4008mhz

its a hot chassi but very silent like i want, i have some 120mm fans laying around, maybe should put one in the top over the big as CPU cooler to help it suck some hot air out?

Thats the thing i suck on handling BIOS thats why i use the AMD overdrive...

19x i get 4118 and with 18.5x i get 4008mhz

its a hot chassi but very silent like i want, i have some 120mm fans laying around, maybe should put one in the top over the big as CPU cooler to help it suck some hot air out?

"Silent" and overclocking don't got together. Doesn't have to be a wind tunnel but you would need to compromise a bit on the noise if you want a nice overclock. And you would also have to be willing to learn the bios which we would help you with. That's what we do here, help people learn to do what they don't already know how to do.

"Silent" and overclocking don't got together. Doesn't have to be a wind tunnel but you would need to compromise a bit on the noise if you want a nice overclock. And you would also have to be willing to learn the bios which we would help you with. That's what we do here, help people learn to do what they don't already know how to do.

Okey. Ye i will put in a fan in The top after The hockey here so in about 3hour :)

How much harder for The cpu is prime95 against amd overdrive? I tried stress test 5min and it hit 65.6 once but idle 60

P95 Blend mode which I think everyone of us uses is a far more robust test than AOD test. That means if they all feel you are already too hot with that AOD clock you have, then you are certainly too hot to run P95 Blend as a stress marker. What really is showing to us, is the AOD is fooling you into thinking your speeds might be workable.

If you want to use AOD, then do it. Just we cannot help with that software clocker when you are aleady beyond the temps that have been known to be unstable. The testing and using of course are up to you.
RGone...

sloth, before anything else you need to use the same tools we are using if we're going to be on the same page in our communication. So, if you have not already done so please download and install these three freeware programs: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. The first two ar reporting tools. The last one is our standard stability tester.

buddy, 3.8 is an awesome sweet spot for the 955, just clock i'd down a bit to 3.8 and not worry about the psu it's plenty for the time.

That Fractal Design Define R3 case looks to have great ventilation potential if the potential is taken advantage of through wise employment and choice of fans. It has mounts for two fans in the front, two in the top and one in the back. Also one on the side panel but I would shy away from putting a fan there as they tend to disrupt healthy air flow from front to back.

So we need some clarity here. How many fans do you presently have installed in your case and where are they installed? You made no mention earlier of having any installed in the front panel of the case.

Another critical question is what are you using for a CPU cooler? Are you using the stock cooler that came boxed with the CPU or an aftermarket jobber?

I mentioned Before

2 120mm fan in the front

I have a 120mm in another chassi That i will put in The top over the cpu cooler to suck out some air maybe

sloth, before anything else you need to use the same tools we are using if we're going to be on the same page in our communication. So, if you have not already done so please download and install these three freeware programs: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95. The first two ar reporting tools. The last one is our standard stability tester.

I will do This ASAP. Shower my son now and after That mount the 120 in the roof and Then its rock n roll

Fan is inside now and now i know why you dont like the AMD overdrive. It dosnt save the clockspeed right?

Trents i will gladly take all the tips and trix to make my rig be a little bit better.

Back