• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new card help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daddyof2

I used to know all there was to know about graphics cards. But in the year and a half I have been away from coputers everything has changed. I bought doom 3 finally and need a card that can handle the game. My lcd has a native rez of 1024x768 and I would like to run the game there. I am confused on rather a x700 with 256 mem would run the game where I want to run it at. Also what is the performance difference between the x700 and the x800. (not the pro). One more thing, Would an AIW card take any of a performance hit because of the extra VIVO features.

the X700 series is only PCI-Express so make sure you can upgrade to that. Their is a huge performance difference between the x700 and the x800. The biggest difference is that the x700 series has 8 pipelines and the x800 has 12 pipelines. If you have PCI Express the best bang for your buck right now is the X800XL which is about 280 bucks at Newegg. Once you tell us your system specs, we will be able to help more bud.

My system specs are a little embarrising at the moment but here you go. Yes I have a vacant pci-e 16x slot. 512 system memory. 3200+ athlon 64. Its an emachine and please be gently with your rebuttles about that. (its all the wife would let me get) The motherboard has the ati express 200 graphics and it sucks for games. I have already upgraded the power supply from the 300 supplied to a 420. I know the x700 only has 8 pipelines, but are the extra 4 or 8 pipes in the x800 worth the extra money.

Like I said, I have never purchased from them. I think awhile ago they got a bad name because their customer service was terrible. But from the looks of this link I think they have gotten better. HERE

Back