• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

antec psu? overheat??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TRYJAY

I own a Antec "truepower Quattro" 1000 :shrug:psu and seems to over heat sys as it has no fan on intake. I wonder if it could be a poor choice of PSU. Could some one commnet on this PSU and overheating problems if some one has one and same PSU...Please help as I have have had to remove one of my gtx 280 and I'm a little upset.

New system: Intel 3.3Ghz Core 2, Duo
nForce 780i SLI mainboard
4 Gig HYPER X memory
(1) GTX 280, By EVGA
Antec 1000 watt psu.
(2) WesternDigital Raptors, 150 Gig.

It has an exhaust fan which is plenty. Its only a poor choice of PSU b/c its nearly double what you need though.

Why did you have to remov your GTX 280? What is happening that is focring you to remove it?

A bit more information is needed here.

(PS - I reported the duplicate thread to keep things tidy in this one).

It has an exhaust fan which is plenty. Its only a poor choice of PSU b/c its nearly double what you need though.

Why did you have to remov your GTX 280? What is happening that is focring you to remove it?

A bit more information is needed here.

(PS - I reported the duplicate thread to keep things tidy in this one).

I needed to remove b/c of over heating.
Sys over heating.
:comp:

Sys= System? I still dont get it with your vague descrioption.

Was the PSU overheating? Was the GTX 280 overheating? Was your CPU overheating. Please elaborate in more coherent chunks please! :)

Reply...?

Sys= System? I still dont get it with your vague descrioption.

Was the PSU overheating? Was the GTX 280 overheating? Was your CPU overheating. Please elaborate in more coherent chunks please! :)

SYS = system..
CPU and GTX 280.
Not psu.

:comp: :cry:

Ok, so what does the PSU have to do with your GTX280 and cpu overheating (I'll answer that, likely none)?

What case do you have?
How are the fans oriented (locations and function exhaust/intake)?
What temperatures was your CPU reaching (in C) that you think its overheating?
What temperatures was your GPU reaching (in C) that you think its overheating?
What symptoms did you see that made you feel like things were overheating?

The fan in a PSU is best not counted on to provide cooling for an entire system. They're thermally controlled based on the temperature of the PSU components.

Best thing to do is improve your overall system ventilation. No PSU on its own will cool your video card well enough to improve this situation much.

MMM? do I...

Wow... ^^, sees the forest through the trees! Is that what is happening here? TRYJAY?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This where All answeres get answered.
IM STUPID....No escuses!!
Whats the diffrent between celsias and fieranhight!!!

One will freak you out the other will seem correct...
I shoud ave figured it out sooner..

:cry::cry::cry::pics: do I feel stupid... vote???:rock:

They're thermally controlled based on the temperature of the PSU components.

The SmartPowers definately were.

And SmartPowers seem to have a problem where the second fan never starts and may fry caps as a result.

But my SmartPower 2.0 500 (SP500) purchased in 2005 seems to be fine (even with the outer fan not running) when used on my Acer Aspire M5630.

The TruePowers should be more like the fan mode of other PSUs.

Last edited:
Back