• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob trying to overclock the 3930k CPU and Corsair Dominator Platinum!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thenewstoryline

Couple of days ago I got the Platinum and 3930k + iv x79 motherboard as a gift.

I have a basic knowledge about computers.. soI desperately need help overclocking the 3930k.

Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 1866mhz, overclocked to 2133mhz (is it safe to overclock to 2133mhz?)

3930k overclocked to 1.4v (however when I don't use my CPU it drops to 0.845v (idle)..)

My idle CPU temp of 1.4v is anywhere from 32-51 degrees. When I play BF3 or Warfighter, my temp goes all the way up to 63 degrees (max). Is this normal?

The CPU cooler I'm using is the Corsair H100, I have the fan blasted to max.

When I overclock the cpu to 1.5v and save changes, my computer takes me to black screen saying I need to boot up with a drive, and no matter what key I hit, it keeps sending me the same message.. This only happens when I overclock to 1.5v

I really don't know what to do.. Please help, NOOB user here.

Last edited:
Just adding voltage doesn't add speed. All you did was make it run hotter.

You increase the multiplier on those chips for the most part. 1.4v is likely too much or at the high end for air cooling (assuming you are using an aftermarket air cooler). 1.5 is likely way too high. There are definitely guides out there to show how to overclock a 3930k I'm posting from my phone so I can't easily link them.

overclocking

yes overclocking is fun :eek:)

But I'm a noob overclocker :eek:(

That's why I need some helpful advice here :eek:)

i've never overclocked before :eek:(

But I think I'll learn a thing or two from the pro's here :eek:)

I guess it is fun :D But still you should've came here before you began just in case you screwed something up ALOT. And up there ^^ Check out that OCing guide, may I ask how you managed to receive a 3930k and 32 GB of Dominator Platinum as a gift? :D And the answer to your question, 80C is about the max I would let Intel chips go...but for 24/7 use, keep it under 65-70C. It's okay for the chip to rise to 80C for a few minutes but not for long gaming periods, etc. Good luck!

With an H100 I would look for a 24/7 oc of around 4.5ghz but YMMV.
On these CPUs the easiest thing would be to change the multi to 45, set the vcore around 1.35 and turn off all c states. Should get you there. From
there you can try to lower the voltage and see how low you can go to keep temps down while keeping your stability. Every processor is different, so you may be fine with that voltage, may need more, may need less.

I suggest you do some reading before you start though. Jumping in and just changing voltage is a quick way to kill a $500 gift and make it into the worlds most expensive keychain.

Back