• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Post your old / "vintage" OC gears here !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CMOS has been used forever... it's what holds your bios settings. I'm not sure what application it might have on the i7 platform.

I lust dug through my closet and pulled out an OLD HP Brio. Has a big sticker on the front that says "Made for Windows NT/98". I would have to open it up to tell you whats in it, :p

also have an old compaq laptop that was upgraded to Windows 95. Im gonna open it up as well to see what its carrying.

SIMM = Single Inline Memory Module
DIMM = Dual Inline Memory Module

These are vehicles for how memory is packaged, not basic memory technologies.

DDR2 DRAM DIMMs = double data rate 2 dynamic ram dual inline memory module?

What's SDRAM (synchronous)?

SDRAM DIMM = Synchronous Dynamic Random Acccess Memory Dual Inline Memory Module

DDR2 SDRAM DIM = Double Data Rate 2 Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory Dual Inline Memory Module

DDR is a form of SDRAM. It's usually omitted though (and understood). It's basically just SDRAM that runs at twice the CPU's external frequency instead of at the CPU'd external frequency. (PC100 SDRAM runs at 100 mhz, while DDR1-200 runs at 200 mhz on a 100 mhz external frequency... sometimes it's called PC1600 because that's the rate at which data is transfered... I think it's 1600 MB/s)

In those old days there was no built in cache memory, mostly used external cache called SRAM and it was actually chip that can be install/uninstall, and on some certain models of mobo, they're came as optional part since they provide the sram chip sockets ! :)

Isn't the cache of current chips still SRAM? I know IBM and Mitsubishi have been talking about ultra fast DRAM and other fast memories that have smaller physical cells, but I'm pretty sure they haven't reached production yet. I'm 99% sure that at least L1 and L2 cache are SRAM.

To borrow from previous posts...

Physical memory packages:

These are just the pin layout, size and shape of the memory module.

RIMM (Rambus Inline Memory Module) - Just a DIMM type module with Rambus chips.
SIMM (Single Inline Memory Module).
DIMM (Dual Inline Memory Module).

(There are also variations of these for laptops: SO-RIMM, SO-DIMM, Micro DIMM).

Types of memory circuit:

These are the way each bit of data is represented inside the memory chips.

SRAM (Static RAM, a more complicated circuit that does not require refresh. Larger, much more expensive and greater power consumption than DRAM, but much faster).

DRAM (Dynamic RAM, simple circuit consisting of only a capacitor and a transistor. Cheap and very high densities possible, but since the capacitor leaks charge it needs to be refreshed - hence Dynamic).

There are also others like ZRAM and MRAM some of which don't even use transistors, but I don't think any are used commerically yet.

Then types like EDO, SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, RDR and FB-DIMM are differentiated in terms of: whether they are synchronous, what kind of bus they use, how the bus is wired to the memory chips, how the memory controller works, tweaks to the electrical interface and a bunch of other things I don't really understand.

Oh and I just remembered that I have a couple of 8MB sticks of Lanstar branded EDO RAM that has heatspreaders attached. I've never been sure whether it was supposed to be extra high reliability/long life server memory, an attempt to foist an overly hot memory chip on the public, or an early overclockers product.

I found this photo of the stuff in an online auction:

1.jpg

Last edited:
Uhh behind me I have a functional board with dual P3 450's on it.

File server is Dual p3 800's

Laptop is a P3 500
Oldest laptop is a OLD Dell lattitude with at best a P2 in it.

I have a P1 sitting on the shelf beside me, I have a Slot 1 adaptor in my toolbox, need I keep going?

Recently croaked (they were living in the hostile environment of my garage - no big surprise but disappointing anyway :( ):

Athlon Thunderbird, 1.0GHz, 768MB SDRAM
Via C3/733MHz, 512MB SDRAM

Both great computers.

I know I'm young, but do I get credit for knowing what a Winchester (aka 30-30) disk is? :cool:

i have a compaq armada 1540D but really that isnt all that old....pentium with mmx.
i think its funny what people think is old when it comes to computer stuff like

"OMGWTFBBQ P3 thats old school retro right there"

.....when in reality it wasnt that long ago.
to me old for computers is 80-86/80-88 baed PCs, IBM PS/2, Apple II or IIe, Ti 99/4a, Vic 20 or commodore 64, thats old stuff

Folks, repeat again, old OC-ing stuff, not just old stuff please, and pictures !!!

i'm not suggesting any of that was OC stuff it just strikes me as something funny when people talk about pentiums being old

Here you go bing baby:
OldOC.jpg

Clockwise from top left:
-Celeron 266 cacheless, the original gangsta of budget oc'ing. Ran at 448MHz for 3 years or so.
-Slocket! Used with the BH6 and a Cel 633 which didn't oc very well :( I have that CPu somewhere too..
-WinModem. lol, dialup!
-STB Velocity 4400. Nvidia Riva TNT, boom!
-Abit BH6. The best for last. This has got to be one of the all-time classic oc'ing mobos with one of the longest-lived chipsets the 440BX. Lasted me from the Cel 266 through the Cel 633 (5 years!) and would have been longer with a Tualatin CPU but one of the MOSFETs blew when I was pushing the Cel633 hard :( RIP

Lord knows why I still have this crap.

i don't have the gear around anymore... but the pics reminded me of my first overclock before i knew what overclocking was. A P-II 233 that I OC'd to 333 stable with all of 256MB of PC-133 (my family spent top dollar on the machine as we ALL - yes, including my parents) used it for gaming at the time... it served us well for years.

Here you go bing baby:
OldOC.jpg

Clockwise from top left:
-Celeron 266 cacheless, the original gangsta of budget oc'ing. Ran at 448MHz for 3 years or so.
-Slocket! Used with the BH6 and a Cel 633 which didn't oc very well :( I have that CPu somewhere too..
-WinModem. lol, dialup!
-STB Velocity 4400. Nvidia Riva TNT, boom!
-Abit BH6. The best for last. This has got to be one of the all-time classic oc'ing mobos with one of the longest-lived chipsets the 440BX. Lasted me from the Cel 266 through the Cel 633 (5 years!) and would have been longer with a Tualatin CPU but one of the MOSFETs blew when I was pushing the Cel633 hard :( RIP

Lord knows why I still have this crap.

i liked the slot based CPUs, i think its only a matter of time before it repeats with something new. if i am to keep any of my old stuff, other than my 80-88 i would keep a slot based setup, i would keep the ones i have now but dells and ibms arent worth keeping.

Ok Bing, not sure if this really qualifies as "OC Gears" or not, but it's the best I have:

CIMG2257.jpg
CIMG2259.jpg
CIMG2261.jpg

went to drop off cardboard at the local recycling center and seen 2 compaq boxes from way back in the day :D

PII, I pulled the ram out of them lol at 64mb's :D
edit...I guess I could say something that pertains...one of them had one of those chips

SIMM
DIMM
RIMM

Sounds like Chinese food...God I'm hungry
Don't ask me why i pulled the ram out...

I just threw away a bunch of old boards and junk that was taking up way too much space.

I still kept my old heatsinks and some processors that I pushed to hell and back.

One of my favorites is a s462 T-bred 1700+ AXDA with a voltmodded MSI board. I think I managed to get it to 2.4GHz and run some tests before it crashed. Cooled it with a AX-7 and some ungodly loud 80mm delta. I think I also made a makeshift hovercraft with that fan, a cereal box and duct tape. Those $50 AMD processors where awesome. I also found some T-Bird's that ultimate met their fate under my hands. I also found my 475 K6 that was my first computer that I really messed with. OC'ed it to 550mhz.

ergh.. not enough pics in this thread...

spherek6iii_131.jpg

K6-III+ @ 616mhz. Does that count? And yes it does run... if I put a power supply back into it :chair:

And reconnect the CD burner...

added: Is it bad form to necropost after a site founder?:sn:

Last edited:
Back