• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Ihs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K1ll1nT1m3

I just went from a P4 2.53 to a 3E and was wondering if I can remove the IHS from the 3E without a problem.

I have placed a temp sensor in between the IHS and the chip ( next to the chips 1st heat sink ) and rejoined them with AS epoxy on my 2.53. I really liked having an instant and accurate temp reading. I would like to do that again with the 3E.

I thought I read people were braking chips trying to remove the IHS on some of the new P4s. Is that true? Thanks

PS. I just checked, BIOS says Im up 10*C from my 2.53 with no OCing. I would really like to get a temp sonsor in there and reseal that with some real tim.

Last edited:
I believe that the IHS on the Prescotts is epoxied on with some metal epoxy and that removing it will break the core....... but I think that there's a few people on the forums that might have managed to do it, so you might see if any other people post on it before you make a decision. I was pretty sure it was close to impossible to remove though.

Anyone else know some more info?

PS. Thanks mtb, even though thats not what I wanted to hear.

mtb856 said:
I believe that the IHS on the Prescotts is epoxied on with some metal epoxy and that removing it will break the core....... but I think that there's a few people on the forums that might have managed to do it, so you might see if any other people post on it before you make a decision. I was pretty sure it was close to impossible to remove though.

Your not the only one that heard that. I swear I heard it in a couple places and even a review.

i wish i had a spare cpu to do this on (i am too young to have a job, and my parents cant spend money atm)... placin a probe in between the proc and the ihs... isn't there a break in the rubber padding around the IHS?? there you can slide in a thermal probe and tape it down for the temps =P... though its not as accurate

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.... that would be BAD! New prescotts are epoxied to their IHSs. If you pop the top you pop the CPU.

Sentential said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.... that would be BAD! New prescotts are epoxied to their IHSs. If you pop the top you pop the CPU.

Sounds like a Pringles commercal almost hehe.

I thought I had heard that too in a reveiw a few months ago. I wish I had thought about that before I got this proc. Im up 10*C with no OC, even though this chip only uses 1.4v.

Now I have to find better memory. I cant really OC or change my timings anymore, that hurts. Even my PC4000 wont let me do anything.

Thanks for all the help.

The 30 cap Northwoods and all Prescotts have IHS that are near impossible to remove. I've seen several pics of people that tried and ripped off part of the core. I think it's a metal epoxy although some claim it's soldered. There are a few folks that managed to remove it, but for only 1-2 degrees it's sure not worth the risk to me.

30cap northwood? thats a newer architecture right??...
heres the writing thats on my proc.

Intel(M)(C) '02
Pentium(R) 4
3GHZ/512/800
SL6WV Malay
L336A653

Maybe its SL6WU, cant read my own handwriting.. is that a 30cap one??

and if i were to get a thermal reader, where would i put the probe (i know you can slip it under the IHS via the break in the rubber, but ive heard ppl have crushed the probe)

removing the ihs is possibly.
i picked up an destroyed gallatin to test this way out.
the ihs ist soldered on the die, an very very soft solder.
i heating the solder up an checked with an optical temp-camera the melting point near 145°C -150°C.

so the removing cold be possible:
- cutting the silicon-rubber with raserblade.. like the classic method.
- made an little force between pcb and ihs.. (rasorblade)
- heating up the ihs to near 150°C and plopp.. the ihs should be go off.
- cleaning the die with a very sharp scalpel blade or rasorblade.
i never tryed this.. but it should work

here a very close pic..
i heating up the ihs and move the crushing die around..
ihs-angelotet-30capper.jpg

Last edited:
145-150C damn. Im definatly sure thats not good for a CPU. Then again its not running at the time either but still, im sure you'd damage something going to that high of a temp, expecially since it will take a little while to heat up the cover.

actually, the cover would get hot faster than the core... but you'd need to get that ihs off FAST (though its not like its sticky or anything, just keeping the cpu's PCB clamped and then heatin up the ihs from under it be the best way, that way the IHS would fall once you melt the solder)

I have seen a number of these dicussions. Im all cases it did NOT raise the overclock much if at all. It DOES gain you a 1-2 degree temp change. For the money I will leave the IHS alone. Since the newer chips are epoxied/soldered I am guessing this is a much better thermal bond than was the case in older P4's and P3's. That being said I doubt there would be any gains by removing the IHS. Good luck

Z

man_utd said:
Remind me how youe heat something from beneath if the point of removing it is to get beneath it?

i mean flipping over the P4, so its upside down, and then just heating the ihs like that, so when the solder melts, the ihs will fall =P

Rio71 said:
removing the ihs is possibly.
i picked up an destroyed gallatin to test this way out.
the ihs ist soldered on the die, an very very soft solder.
i heating the solder up an checked with an optical temp-camera the melting point near 145°C -150°C.

so the removing cold be possible:
- cutting the silicon-rubber with raserblade.. like the classic method.
- made an little force between pcb and ihs.. (rasorblade)
- heating up the ihs to near 150°C and plopp.. the ihs should be go off.
- cleaning the die with a very sharp scalpel blade or rasorblade.
i never tryed this.. but it should work

here a very close pic..
i heating up the ihs and move the crushing die around..
ihs-angelotet-30capper.jpg

all i can say is *wow*

Back