• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Thinkpad!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4od

Just got a 15.4 widescreen t61. Very sweet.

T7300 Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz 800 mhz FSB, 4MB Cache

2 GB 667 RAM

80 GB 5400 RPM

x3100

Fingerprint reader

ABGN Wifi

9-cell battery

All for just under 900 bucks!

DSCF3994.jpg

DSCF3993.jpg

DSCF3992.jpg

Is it worth switching from genuine Vista Home Basic to the copy Windows XP that I've put on every computer I've ever owned?

Dammmmmn! Thats one fine lookin laptop :beer: I'd go for XP. But before you do atleast try vista for a week or so.

My buddy's Thinkpad came with a ridiculous amount of bloatware installed. If you're going to give Vista a chance, at least be fair and do a fresh install. :)

There is tons of preinstalled software, but i found the majority of it fairly useful. Most of it is security/connectivity/battery stuff that actually came in good use.

How much of a ***** do you think reinstalling all the random drivers will be (fingerprint, graphics wireless, chipset, etc.)?

It probably won't be that bad. They should all be on the thinkpad website, and windows will likely autodetect a bunch. Does the computer come with a driver CD?

How much does that thing weigh? I am looking towards the t61p and am having a hard time figuring out which size to get. More video card ram on one, but better portability on the other =/

Its 6.5 pounds, but in a backpack it feel like next to nothing.

Does anybody know a decent way to make a sleeve case with household materials? (I don't want the laptop to get crushed by my school books, I travel just under a mile to school every day, usually on bike)

First of all, I am jealous! I love those Thinkpad T61s and some day I hope to own one. They are so well built. What is your video?

I think you can purchase sleeves for your laptop that will easily fit a backpack.

Video? I'm confused.

I'm rather short on cash after purchasing this, thats why i wanted to make a sleeve, not drop 20-30 for one. I was thinking about using neoprene, duct tape and a cloth lining to make a sturdy, cheap and clean sleeve.

Nice laptop...I just got a very similar one (t61 14" widescreen). Making a sleeve would be a good way to save some cash. If I were you I would try to sew up the sides and make it look real professional instead of using duct take...maybe make it with duct tape and then sew a cloth cover over it so it looks less ghetto (unless thats what you're looking for ;))

I've been using one of those giant manila envelopes with integrated bubble wrap, not only protective and waterproof, but it looks like I'm carrying some innocuous package, not anything very valuable (theft protection!).

Vista really doesn't have anything going for it, does it? Its just XP, but more RAM hungry, more DRM-friendly, and it makes sure that you're sure before you can run any programs. I guess the dx10 support is the only reason any sane person would buy it.

Anyone know where to get a Vista disk (not the code), i want to put it on my desktop so that when i buy a dx10 card (someday) i can actually play dx10 games.

I just ordered a new T61 Thinkpad last night.

T7300 Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, 800MHz FSB, 4MB Cache
14.1" SXGA+ (1400x1050)
1 GB PC2-5300 RAM
120 GB 5400 RPM
8x Dual Layer DVD Burner
Intel Integrated X3100
Intel ABGN WiFi
6-cell battery w/ 3-cell Ultrabay Battery
3 year depot warranty

$1285

I should've waited for the 4:3 to come out, I really don't like the widescreen :(

Tell me how the ultrabay battery works out for you.

Finished my case. Its just a foam sleeping mat cut up with a box cutter and seamed with duct tape. Works surprisingly well, but when i first made it, it was too tight and i spent half an hour getting my thinkpad out :beer: . I going to find some velcro closures so i can really shut it, not just stick the top flap into the main part.

DSCF3995.jpg

DSCF3996.jpg

DSCF3997.jpg

It was kind of big so i sold it for 950 and bought an x61 with identical specs. The x61 cost 990, but i think the size will be worth the 40 bucks extra :beer:

Anyone know where to get a Vista disk (not the code), i want to put it on my desktop so that when i buy a dx10 card (someday) i can actually play dx10 games.
Technicly you could transfer the vista licence from your laptop to your desktop if you borrow someone's disk but thats not legal. Just incse you want to know a way to get a legal copy... newegg?

Back