• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cant seem to find where to disable the c5 function on a gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 v1.3 mobo. I've looked all over the bios. Could it be named something different?

When I do this and open up cpu-z it says 4500mHz for a few seconds and then goes to 1600. Whats the deal?

also, because i have an asrock extreme3 gen3 there are "optimal" overclocking turbo presets. I tried one of those at 4.5 and cpu-z did the same thing.

i've tried that the hwmonitor says that the cpu vcore is 1.20v but it bsod.
And thats when I put the memory into XMP mode running at 1600mhz.
I have a gut feeling it could be to do with my memory as the stock voltage is 1.6v and i've heard recently that SB chips do fair well with 1.6v memory much.
And for me to get to 4.5ghz i have type in 1.37 on the vcore for it to run stable.

when it BSOD on you look at the error message: Example 0x000000124 they all means something or points to an issue... below listed i found on the internet that may help you

0x124 = add/ remove Vcore or QPI/ VTT- usually Vcore
0x101 = add more Vcore
0x50 = ram timing / frequency add DDr3 volts or QPI/ Vtt
0x1E = more Vcore
0x3b = more Vcore
0xD1 = add QPI/ Vtt voltage
0x9C = QPI /Vtt most likely, however more Vcore has helped
0x0A = Add QPI/ Vtt voltage
0x07 = Overclock is unstable

see what the BSOD gives you and adjust...Cheers and good luck

THIS is very useful :b im not a complete noob at this since i read about it alot and my computer is comming tommorow in pieces tho. But i hope that if i start building tomorrow morning ill have it overclocked and ready for gaming after dinner :D Game on!

When I do this and open up cpu-z it says 4500mHz for a few seconds and then goes to 1600. Whats the deal?

also, because i have an asrock extreme3 gen3 there are "optimal" overclocking turbo presets. I tried one of those at 4.5 and cpu-z did the same thing.

Speedstep. Put load on it and you'll see it go back to 4500Mhz.

when it BSOD on you look at the error message: Example 0x000000124 they all means something or points to an issue... below listed i found on the internet that may help you

0x124 = add/ remove Vcore or QPI/ VTT- usually Vcore
0x101 = add more Vcore
0x50 = ram timing / frequency add DDr3 volts or QPI/ Vtt
0x1E = more Vcore
0x3b = more Vcore
0xD1 = add QPI/ Vtt voltage
0x9C = QPI /Vtt most likely, however more Vcore has helped
0x0A = Add QPI/ Vtt voltage
0x07 = Overclock is unstable

see what the BSOD gives you and adjust...Cheers and good luck
I think its to do with my sticks they are rated at 1.65v and i left them on the XMP and i inputted their stock speed and timings. And left cpu voltage on 1.35 but i've to up to 1.4v which is again is at the limit of the cpu. So what i'm going to do is return/sell these sticks back to the shop. And swap them out for some corsair vengence sticks rated at 1.5v. If you have any other memory stick suggestions it would be much appreciated thanks

I suppose I will just let it do it's speedstep jazz (is there anything wrong with speedstep?)

In any case, I used ASrock's preset bios 4.6 mode and my temps using Prime95 got to a bit too warm 84C. Any ideas? Reasons? I am going to upgrade my case fans, I'm sure that will help some.

I think its to do with my sticks they are rated at 1.65v and i left them on the XMP and i inputted their stock speed and timings. And left cpu voltage on 1.35 but i've to up to 1.4v which is again is at the limit of the cpu. So what i'm going to do is return/sell these sticks back to the shop. And swap them out for some corsair vengence sticks rated at 1.5v. If you have any other memory stick suggestions it would be much appreciated thanks

Im using the same memory stix you are with no problem. I dont have the setting on XMP, I have the voltage at 1.65v and put the rest on auto. I returned my vengence stix because I was having problems. Happens that the Kingstons Hyperx happens to be on the approved list for my board with no large heat sinks.

I can see in your specs that you have the Hyper X Genisis 16GB, mine is the previous gen Hyper X Blu. And i can't seem to find out wether my sticks is compatible with my mobo. Anyway im going to buy the corsair vengence lp and i've checked that my mobo is supported and they are. So if can launch my cpu to 4.5ghz at a stable clock without the cpu reaching 1.4v on the vcore i'll sell the kingstons instead. Btw you mentioned 1.65v is that the stock voltage for your Ram or is that the vcore?

I would imagine they will work. YOu can see the QVL list (which again only means its tested, not that those that are not on the list wot work) by going to the Gigabyte website and your board's page and looking at the QVL.

Thanks for a great guide Theocnoob!

I'm not exactly a noob, but am new to SB.

My system did great on your settings, and I'm tweaking down from there. Enabled Speed Step and EIST, dropped VCore to 1.34, runs like a champ.

I love a fast machine, but it must be 24/7 cool, quiet, and stable. The P/Z68 motherboards and 2500K pretty much allow having your cake and eating it too!

Maybe some day, the BIOS will have 3 settings: Max turbo speed, max VCore, and max VRAM. All the other voltages and features will be automatically tweaked on the fly.

PS: Does the big SB CPU's remind anyone of Prescott? The OC keeps going and going, and so does the temperature!

I can see in your specs that you have the Hyper X Genisis 16GB, mine is the previous gen Hyper X Blu. And i can't seem to find out wether my sticks is compatible with my mobo. Anyway im going to buy the corsair vengence lp and i've checked that my mobo is supported and they are. So if can launch my cpu to 4.5ghz at a stable clock without the cpu reaching 1.4v on the vcore i'll sell the kingstons instead. Btw you mentioned 1.65v is that the stock voltage for your Ram or is that the vcore?

1.65v is what I applied to the ram. I have 1.33v to the CPU. We have the same boards just different manufactors, if you want I could post the settings I have in BIOS when I get home.

ETA: When I had my problems, my system rebooted, didn't seem to act right, and evenually wouldn't boot, it was memory. I had to take all of them out, boot from each one separatly, and re-seat them. Seems like that fixed my problem.

1.65v is what I applied to the ram. I have 1.33v to the CPU. We have the same boards just different manufactors, if you want I could post the settings I have in BIOS when I get home.

ETA: When I had my problems, my system rebooted, didn't seem to act right, and evenually wouldn't boot, it was memory. I had to take all of them out, boot from each one separatly, and re-seat them. Seems like that fixed my problem.

i've bought the new ram just for it to arrive, yeah i don't mind trying one at a time so see if fixes it. And yes please show your bios of how you've set it up thanks.

@EarthDog i did check the QVL and it has been reported on the official gigabyte website that they only list a few samples of compatible ddr3 ram. And they advise to each individual ram manufacturer for tested ram on my mobo. And i've checked with corsair and the corsair vengence lp is compatible with my mobo its listed on their website.

I suppose I will just let it do it's speedstep jazz (is there anything wrong with speedstep?)

In any case, I used ASrock's preset bios 4.6 mode and my temps using Prime95 got to a bit too warm 84C. Any ideas? Reasons? I am going to upgrade my case fans, I'm sure that will help some.

I'd definitely make sure my case wasn't the culprit. That and make sure the heatsink was properly installed. What voltage did it feed the CPU 'automatically' when you did this? Without that information can't really say much.

i've bought the new ram just for it to arrive, yeah i don't mind trying one at a time so see if fixes it. And yes please show your bios of how you've set it up thanks.

@earthdog i did check the QVL and it has been reported on the official gigabyte website that they only list a few samples of compatible ddr3 ram. And they advise to each individual ram manufacturer for tested ram on my mobo. And i've checked with corsair and the corsair vengence lp is compatible with my mobo its listed on their website.

Ok this is my set up:

Ai Tuner- Manual
BCLK/PCIE Frequency- 100.0
Turbo Ratio- By per Core
Core Ratio Limit- Each core set to 45
Internal PLL Overvoltage- Enabled
Memory Frequency- 1600 (Have had it set to Auto, worked for me)
iGPU Max Frequency-Auto
EPU Power Saving Mode- Disabled
DRAM Timing Control- All set to Auto
CPU Power Management-
-CPU Ratio- Auto
-Enhanced Speedstep- Enabled
-Turbo Mode- Enabled
Load Line Calibration- Ultra High
VRM Frequency- Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency- 350
Phase Control- Extreme
Duty Control- Extreme
CPU Current Capability- 140%
iGPU Load Line Calibration- Auto
iGPU Current Capability- 100%
CPU Voltage- 1.33v for 4.5khz (1.375v for 4.6khz, when core ratio set to 46)
CPU Spread Spectrum- Disabled
All other ram settings set to auto

Thanks to Theocnoob, he helped alot. I sort of think I lost some settings he helped set as I messed with saving profiles, alittle embarrassed as he helped point me in the right direction only to lose those setting. These have worked for me. I passed 10 passes of IntelBurn at Max, temps never above 69c.
I was told by an ASUS rep that my setting for OC were abit aggressive, that theses setting were for higher frequencys, but they seem to work with decent temps so far. With this set up to change frequencys I upped my core ratio, added CPU voltage and watch temps. I was told if I'm not getting sable results I could lower Ram settings to 1333 as it could help situation.
Oh and thanks TheOCnoob!!!

ETA: I've had the ram voltage set to 1.65v and set to auto. They have both worked for me.

Last edited:
I recently built my 2600k folding rig set at 4.5 and love it. System has been running now for 7 days straight 24/7 without a problem. I did however recently add an additional video card which brought my cpu temps up and I played around with the top fans and was able to fix the temps. I now have one of my top fans as an intake and the other an exhaust.

Details with the build and all the settings for the OC here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697306

airflow.jpg

Back