• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

List (and find) recommended programming books here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Language: Assembly Language
Title: Assembly Language for Intel Based Computers 4th Ed.
Author: Irvine, R. Kip
ISBN: 0130910139
Top Pros: A great book to learn Assembly from the beginning, I found it extreamly easy to get through this book. Don't be fooled by the rumos assembly language is powerful and awsome this book covers it well. Includes Advanced MSDOS programming, and 2 chapters dedicated to GUI.
Cons: I would have been happier with some more examples on some of the more complex topics. A bit pricey too. Overall two thumbs up.

Language: C++
Title: C++ For Dummies, All in one desk reference
Author: Cogswell, Jeff
ISBN: 0-7645-1795-3
Pros: Enjoyable to read, source code examples clearly explained. Includes example source code on CDROM.
Cons: Lacks detail in some areas, like string functions.

Language: mostly C under *nix, but also applies to other systems and languages
Title: The Art of Unix Programming
Author: Raymond, Eric S.
ISBN: 0131429019
Link: http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/index.html
Pros: From what I've read so far and from my tiny knowledge Unix history, this is a great book. It's written to communicate the culture of Unix and the programming practices that have made it so successful.

Last edited:
Language: Java
Title: Big Java
Author: Cay S. Horstmann
Pros: presents the art of Java in a nice, clear, how to book. Comes with a CD of both templates and examples from the book so that you learn by both reading and application.
Cons: Have Found None So Far

Title: C++ How to Program, 4th Edition
Authors: Deitel&Deitel
Top Pros: I've only read a few hundred pages so far, but it's been easy to learn from, with plenty of examples and useful syntax highliting
Cons: It's too big -_-;; no real problems, though the ants on the cover are scary :p

Language: Perl
Title: Perl and CGI for the World Wide Web
Author: Castro, Elizabeth
ISBN: 0-201-35358-X
Top Pros: Easy to read and follow. I mostly use it for reference since its easy to find and see how some lines of code work.
Cons: Not very extensive, just a quick overview of simple stuff.

Language: SystemC
Title: A SystemC Primer
Author: Bhasker, J
ISBN: 0-9650391-8-8
Top Pros: Probably the first SystemC book. SystemC is pretty new in the US but its widely used in Europe and Asia. Will quickly become the standard in the future. Which is the reason most colleges that offer computer science and computer engineering bachelors are making it a requirement.
Cons: Some examples not complete. Since its pretty much the first of the kind, there is room to improve. Hopefully in newer editions or other books.

Re: List (and find) recommended programming references here!

Language: C for UNIX
Title: UNIX Systems Programming for SVR4
Author: Curry, David A.
ISBN: 1-56592-163-1
Top Pros: Excellent reference for programming on UNIX systems. Gives complete run-downs on all of the system calls and functions, along with small sample code that can be used as a starting point for larger projects. I reference this book almost every time I open a C program. While it states examples that work on HP-UX, Iris, Solaris, BSD etc., I mostly program on SCO and RedHat, and never have any problems the man pages can't compensate for. If you want to program in UNIX with C, this is a must-have.
Cons: Assumes reader already knows basic C programming, so this isn't a beginner book, but you don't need to be an expert by any stretch either.

Language: C
Title: Practical C Programming , 3rd Edition
Author: Oualline, Steve (O'Reilly Publishing)

Top Pros:
Emphasis on style and clarity, shuns complexity where it is not required.
Zero programming background is needed, the book is a complete from-scratch learning tool for the C language.

Cons: You will sometimes have to look up functions yourself (not a problem IMO, but some people don't like it).

-----------------------------------------------

Title: Practical C++ Programming , 2nd Edition
Author: Oualline, Steve (O'Reilly Publishing)

Pros & cons: same as above, just for C++

C++ foundation

I have looked through a couple different "Beginner's Guides" to C++ and have attempted to go through at least a half dozen C++ tutorials on the web or that were downloaded through p2p apps. Maybe it was because I didn't put forth the time, but it sure as heck seemed that none of these tutorials or books made that much sense for the REAL beginner. I'm talking absolutely NO programming experience whatsoever. That's that boat I was in.

So I move, and my new high school has an Intro to Computer Programming in C++. So I jumped at the chance since I had no luck with tutorials and such. The book that every student got was:

Introduction to Computer Science Using C++, Third Edition
by Todd Knowlton and Brad Hunt
ISBN: 0-619-03452-1 Hardcover
ISBN: 0-619-03453-X Softcover

This book is great! It is very easy to understand if you sit down and read through it. It is very well illustrated and has a lot of sample code, that is suprisingly useful, compared to other books and tutorials I have read. All the code that I have tried so far seems to work exactly as indicated. This book is made for the average high schooler to understand... unlike some of the college focused books that are just a pain in the arse to understand what they're trying to say, let alone the programming concepts.

At the end of each chapter there are assignments, a summary of the chapter, some quizes, etc. They are not very difficult at all if you read the chapter, yet you realize that you've justed learned A LOT in a very short period of time and without much effort.

You will start to learn C++ surprisingly easy and gain a lot of confidence as you go along. I rarely have any questions for the teacher becaue the book explains things so well. If you want to get your foot in the door of programming without a big headache and hours of idle and frustrated stares at the computer screen this is the book for you. This book has definately given me the foundation and confidence to go on and learn other languages.

The only con I can think of is that it doesn't get as indepth as some other books. But if you want a solid foundation so that you can learn the more in depth stuff then it is perfect. There is just a trade-off of "indepthness" for ease of understanding, which in my opinion is well worth is for the beginner.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I'm suprised i saw no books on DX or OGL, or other apis here. Maybe no one likes them. I'll add at least this one:

Language: Win32 API for C/C++
Title: Programming Windows, 5th Edition
Author: Petzold, Charles
Top Pros: Awesome book for windows programming, lots of info, lots of explanation, and lots of code. Programs are not just demos of techniques, at one point a full replacement for notepad was writen, including printing, and a few bonus features. Very good book for win32.
Cons: Well, after reading through the chapters you need to read, some superflous chapters are included, but for some they help. Also, you'll end up using this as a reference, which may mean you wear it out.

Language: Any OO language (Java, C++, C#, etc.)
Title: Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
Author: Gamma, Erich; Helm, Richard; Johnson, Ralph; Vlissides, John
ISBN: 0-201-63361-2
Top Pros: Great summary of all the most commonly used patterns. Layout is ideal as a reference for quickly finding a solution to a design issue. Thorough use of class diagrams and code snippets (examples in C and Smalltalk)
Cons: Some of the examples in smalltalk... I've never bothered learning it. Some of the patterns are now becoming built-in language features (con or testament to the foresignt of the authors? :))

Language: C, C++, Java
Title: C How to Program
Author: Deitel and Deitel
ISBN: 0-13-142644-3
Pros: Three languages, nice history section, very well laid out
Cons: Big and heavy, expensive (126 cdn)

Language: Scheme (dialect of Lisp)
Title: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, 2nd Edition
Author: Abelson and Sussman
ISBN: 0262011530
Top Pros: A good introduction to the basic concepts of computer science; other languages build on these concepts. Scheme is the learning language used in first year CS courses at MIT and Berkeley because it's easier to grasp than BASIC, Java, or C.
Cons: Scheme is not used for mainstream programming; expensive, conceptual textbook style

Last edited:
Language: Java
Title: Head First Java
Author: Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates
ISBN: 0-596-00465-6
Pros: Irreverant, engaging, and FUN introductory Java book. This is great for those who want to get into Java. It has lots of exercises and example code, and makes ample use of pictures and graphics. It's hard to get bored reading this book...you'd think it was grade school all over again.
Cons: doesn't go into the nitty-gritty like a 1000-page reference manual does...but who wants to read one of those cover to cover?

Language: Perl
Title: Learning Perl, 3rd Edition (O'Reilly)
Author: Andal L. Schwartz, Tom Phoenix
ISBN: 0-596-00132-0
Pros: Very good introduction into the Perl programming language. If you're a non-programmer, this is the book for you.
Cons: Little information on GUI building (Perl/Tk) - those seeking a more in-depth tutorial should read "Programming Perl", also by O'Reilly.

Well here is my list of favorite programming books and what I think of them.

Language C# (.net)
Title Programming C#, 4th Edition (O'Reilly)
Author Jesse Liberty
ISBN 0-596-0699-3
Pros A very complete and comprehensive guide to C#. Coverts many aspects of the language, like windows form applications and ASP.net integration. Is filled with examples, which make it a lot easier to take in.
Cons It assumes the reader has knowledge of an Object Orientated language already (eg Java).

Language C# (.net)
Title C# Cookbook (O'Reilly)
Author Stephen Teilbet & Jay Hilyard
ISBN 0-596-0399-0
Pros Contains solutions to many common C# problems with a large amount of discussion about each one - a must read for any C# programmer
Cons Is a bit big at over 800 pages.

Language:C++
Title: Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 Days
Author: André LaMothe
Pros: Comes with a CD with example code
Cons: Heavy, Moderately expensive, Works with Borlands C++...not Dev C++ without making adjustments to the code

Language:Torque Script
Title:3D Game Programming All In One
Author: Kenneth C. Finney
Editor:Andre Lamothe
ISBN(Canadian?):1-59200-136-X
Pros: Great book for a beginner in game programming let alone programming. Torque seems very similar to C maybe more like C than C++. But i haven't finished it yet...yeah... It does come with CD w/ everything you need. It is a little outdated(no UT2004) but looks very nice even with my fx 5200. This book shows you everything about making a game( From modelling, music, sound, to getting down and dirty with coding it yourself...). Fairly easy to follow... I am only really fluent with basic languages like QBASIC and HTML. I know very little c++. Works... Gives you ULTRAEDIT32 a programming environment.

Cons: ULTRAEDIT32 you must compile your program externally.(most game engines do i assume). Teaches an unfamilier game engine... No HL2 or Morrowind script but it does give you a good start to understanding c++ and other, more mainstream engines. A few errors in the code... They are pretty detectible since the debugged versions are on the CD. And my final cons are that it is fairly expensive and about 665 pages long minus the appendices.

NOTE: I HAVE NOT FINISHED THIS BOOK... I Bought it at the beginning of the month.

Back