• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans on back of socket...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Do they cool off the CPU or do they actually just trick the thermistor that's under the CPU?

I'm referring to my Socket A Duron. Temps are now 41*C max during Prime 95 Large FFT. Before they were 51*C..

Wondering if this fan is actually cooling the CPU or just cooling the thermistor. :shrug:

The IR thermometer I have reads 38.9*C at the bottom of the cooler.

It's not cooling off the CPU directly, but cooling the socket.
The setup removes heat from the socket area which can indirectly lower CPU temps.

wow a 10° difference. that's great. i once tried a fan on the back and it didn't do much for my temps.

It's not cooling off the CPU directly, but cooling the socket.
The setup removes heat from the socket area which can indirectly lower CPU temps.
:thup: Awesome, so it actually does help :)
wow a 10° difference. that's great. i once tried a fan on the back and it didn't do much for my temps.

Don't forget that there is a space under the CPU for socket A. Anything newer doesn't have that empty space.

Plus the only way to measure CPU temps on Socket A is from that empty space under the CPU.

Yes a fans on the back can help a lot I don't know if you can see that row of chips on the right which is part of the power circuit but they get very, very hot and just a bit of air movement can make a huge difference.

Capturefan.PNG

There won't be on your board most likely but the power section creates a lot of heat and this helps keep it cool on top or bottom. Just pulls heat from the PCB

I've always figured it has to help, all the solder connections on the back of a socket and motherboard are direct mechanical connections to all the heat producing goodies on the topside, including directly into the CPU....I can't quantify how much it helps, as I've never gone without a rear fan.

it can be used both ways.
on my 8350 at high vcore that area of the case side would get very hot, I drilled a hole and mounted an 80 mm fan back there, hot spot gone and to tell the fan was spinning you had to use ciggy smoke.

when going crazy with the vcore (as I'm prone to do), I would crank the fan up to scream rpm and fool the temp sensor so i could let the socket temp get above the 90c shutdown temp.

I've always figured it has to help, all the solder connections on the back of a socket and motherboard are direct mechanical connections to all the heat producing goodies on the topside, including directly into the CPU....I can't quantify how much it helps, as I've never gone without a rear fan.
Good point, never thought of that actually.
it can be used both ways.
on my 8350 at high vcore that area of the case side would get very hot, I drilled a hole and mounted an 80 mm fan back there, hot spot gone and to tell the fan was spinning you had to use ciggy smoke.

when going crazy with the vcore (as I'm prone to do), I would crank the fan up to scream rpm and fool the temp sensor so i could let the socket temp get above the 90c shutdown temp.
lol caddi, you luving the vcore? :D

Good point, never thought of that actually.

Yeah, to think further, we're always adding heatsinks and fans to cool the plastic packages on top, but ignoring the metal bits underneath that transmit heat much much better, even to air (it is it's own heat sink, really). Why not give it a breeze?...silly not to.

Back