• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED i7-3820 & Sabertooth X79 - Driving me BONKERS! (RMA'd Twice)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randyman...

Hello there,

Quick background - I've built dozens and dozens of PC's (including three 2500K systems the past few months and two LGA1366 systems) and I've NEVER had an issue like this. I've run into bad RAM and a flakey MoBo here and there, but nothing like this. I'm flat out of ideas...

I purchased the i7-3820 SB-E and Asus Sabertooth X79 MoBo new from NewEgg with 4x 2GB G-Skill RAM and a 750Watt PC Power & Cooling PSU. I initially put the system together, and the "DRAM_LED" would light solid red (meaning there was a RAM Problem), and the system won't even POST. So, I did what any self-respecting PC Builder would do - swapped out RAM in different slots in all configs - tried two different "Known Good" sticks - and the "DRAM_LED" light was still lit up.

If I remove all RAM, the MoBo "beeps" correctly letting me know there is no RAM installed, but I don't get ANY Beeps with RAM installed (just the "DRAM_LED" and no POST / No Video).

I then tried the "MEM OK" button - no dice on all 3 sets of RAM in all slot combinations. Tried a different PSU, tried w/o a Video Card and with a different video card, tried running "caseless" to rule out a case/grounding issue - nada. Tried re-seating the CPU - no luck.

I tried re-flashing the BIOS (these new MoBo's can flash while on "Standby Power" w/o even entering the BIOS or POST). Nothing. Cleared CMOS (jumper AND pulled the battery) - no go.

So, I RMA the MoBo, and got a new one. SAME ISSUES in all circumstances!!!

So, now I'm thinking the CPU's onboard Memory Controller is bad - so I RMA the CPU as well. New CPU has the SAME ISSUES ("DRAM_LED" lit solid).

So, I've swapped MoBo's, CPU's, RAM, PSU, and Video Card, and I CAN NOT get the "DRAM_LED" to turn off so the MoBo can POST!

The ONE common link is I'm using a Thermalright TRUE with the Venomus-X mount, plus the LGA2011 Mounting Screws. It seems to fit well, and I even tried loosening the Heatsink to see if it might be causing any CPU socket issues, but it seems to be OK. No shorting for sure - just a moderately snug fit with a light application of AS-5.

Any clues before I risk returning all of this LGA2011 goodness for a refund (and maybe take a restocking fee hit)?

Again - This is not my first rodeo - but I can't seem to rule out anything at this point. I AM STUCK LIKE CHUCK!!! :cry:

Thanks SO MUCH for any tips from this old-school Overclocker. :attn:

:cool:

Wow, that's super strange. The only thing I could think of, is perhaps they sent you the same board back by mistake? You've already covered everything else...

Good luck!

Aye! :)

I actually got the "Advance Replacement RMA" on both the CPU and MoBo (I still have both i7 3820's in my possession ATM), so I'm sure they are different specimens.

I was hoping the LGA2011 platform might have a few "Got'chas" or what-not to explain why I'm having these un-experienced roadblocks stomping all over my previously un-tarnished DIY PC Prowess :( .

I guess I'll try re-seating the CPU again (that's a TON of pins :p ), and go through the systematic rigmarole again to see what in the heck is going on over here.

This is BY-FAR the most perplexed I've ever been on my 25+ Intel PC Builds!

:fight:

TIA,

Randy V.

Maybe you could try a different psu and one stick of ram? Is the cooler or mounting shorting something out? Is the case shorting something out? Try placing it on the box with one stick ram to start it up. Double check your power plugs from psu didn't push a pin out of the connectors and that they are plugged in good. Try a different gpu?

Maybe you could try a different psu and one stick of ram? Is the cooler or mounting shorting something out? Is the case shorting something out? Try placing it on the box with one stick ram to start it up. Double check your power plugs from psu didn't push a pin out of the connectors and that they are plugged in good. Try a different gpu?

Thanks for the reply. That's one reason I hate being so wordy in my first post ;) (I throw conciseness out the window when I'm trying to be "complete" :p ).

I did all of that and then some as my initial rambling eventually stated. Tried 3 different sets of RAM in all different slot configs, along with everything else I mentioned above.

I was hoping the LGA2011 platform might have some special consideration that I'm just missing. I've built 3 other PC's the past 2 weeks alone, and had zero issues with them including an 8-Drive ITX NAS...

This is so frustrating!!! :bang head My most expensive CPU/MoBo setup EVER, and I can't get it to POST after 2 CPU's and 2 MoBo's, 3 sets of RAM, 2 different PSU's, running caseless, 2 video cards (and cardless), etc...

I'll try the same troubleshooting steps again (3rd time) - and I'd love to hear from any Sabertooth X79 owners as well to see if they had any similar issues...

I'm thinking it could be a BIOS incompatibility with the i7-3820, but I flashed the BIOS to the most current (can flash while in "Standby Mode" where the BIOS is dumped directly into the EPROM even w/o any RAM or CPU installed), and the 3820 is listed as being a supported CPU. I'm so lost!!!

It almost sounds like something isn't getting plugged in that supplies voltage to the board. Just a thought I guess, I've been known to forget about a certain plug and bang my head on the wall until I realize what it was.

Try Stock cooler, outside the case, one stick of RAM with nothing hooked to the board but the power connections. Don't even hook up the front panel connectors. Use a screw driver to short the power pins if needed. Also you said you tried 3 diff ram kits. Were the RAM kits all the same brand/make? Just a few ideas here that you may or may not have tried.

Z

I've done all of that (including the screwdriver "power switch" :p ) BUT the stock CPU cooler - as the LGA2011 CPU's don't come with a heatsink ;) Not having spare CPU's and MoBo's to swap out (as I do with 775/1366/1155 setups) is really a hinderance with this "High End" build! The RAM was a mix of Corsair and Gskill (different series in both 2GB and 4GB flavors)

I did have a thought that the TRUE was the only common demoniator between all of the othe components I sawpped (mentioned in my first "rambling" post). But it is not shorting on anything (the standoffs screw into the stock LGA2011 backplate), and I loosened it "uncomfortably loose" to see if it made any difference - it didn't.

Does Intel even offer an LGA2011 cooler? I guess my last resort is to take the bare system to a PC shop and beg to borrow a different LGA2011 heatsink and see if it POST's. My only other CPU Cooler option is more TRUE's (I have like 6 of them :D )...

I'll post back if I make any headway. At least I have 2 other systems I'm working on to keep me sane :)

Does Intel even offer an LGA2011 cooler? I guess my last resort is to take the bare system to a PC shop and beg to borrow a different LGA2011 heatsink and see if it POST's.

LGA2011 Air & Liquid CPU Cooling Solutions:

Intel Air Cooled Heatsink and Fan Assembly: Intel PN BXRST2011AC

Intel Liquid Cooled Heatsink and Fan Assembly: Intel PN BXRST2011LC

:thup:

I decided my time was worth more than trying to go to a PC Shop and beg to use a stock 2011 cooler- so I went ahead and purchased the Intel 2011 Air Cooler for $25 (easily worth an hour of my time!). We'll see if that helps. There is no way I'd go with an Intel Water Cooler - I'd much prefer the TRUE or Ven-X HSF's I already have IMNSHO...

In the meanwhile, I bought another system to satisfy my PC Building Obsession until then. So far, I'm batting close to "1000" through dozens and dozens of builds minus some bad RAM and a flakey MoBo here and there. 95% of all builds POST and run flawlessly on the first power-up, so I'm still skeptical on this finniky LGA2011 system...

I'll report back later in the week once the Stock LGA2011 Heatsink shows up...

So the $25 stock Intel LGA2011 Heatsink arrived yesterday. No dice. Tried it "caseless" while sitting on non-conductive cardboard with just the CPU, MoBo, PSU, and 1 stick of RAM (tried D1, B1, A1, and B1 separately with 3 different sticks) and turned it on with a screwdriver (all of this is exactly as I did it in the past). The "DRAM_LED" lights solidly as it has since my first attempt at a POST last week. MoBo will "Beep" if I remove the RAM, but no beeps if RAM is installed in any slot (just the "DRAM-LED" issue and no POST/no video).

I am so confused with this stinking build! I literally built this other 1155/2500K system in less than an hour and all was good from the get go (along with a good 30 other Intel builds under by belt).

My last assumption is a BIOS incompatibility with the 3820, but again, this MoBo allows "flashing" while on standby power (you flash while the MoBo is physicaly "turned off"!), and I had the same results after flashing to the most recent BIOS on Asus' site (and the 3820 rev2 is listed as being compatible)...

I'm at my wit's end at this point - I'm guessing I might try a different model of MoBo since this issue seems to be a MoBo issue (even though I've already swapped the MoBo out once!). I've NEVER had issues with an Intel CPU - but I already swapped this 3820 out once, too! There are a few more things I might try before risking the restocking fees and crap, but it appears my first attempt at LGA2011 has somehow beaten me??? :(

Argh! I just want this "botique" build to be done so I can get it into production at the studio!!!

I've got a Sabertooth X79 and Intel 3820 CPU running on an Antec 850W with the Corsair H100 closed loop water cooling and 4x4GB GSkill DDR3. I didn't experience any of the issues you've mentioned. The one issue I did experience was that I initially plugged my SATA disks into the Marvell controller for RAID 0 (I thought they were the only 2 6g ports on the board) and it caused me tonnes of issues, but it still posted ever time. Plugged my array into the Intel 6g ports and it worked the charm.

Your situation confuses me a great deal, and the only thing that comes to mind that wasn't mentioned is if you plugged in all 3 MB power connectors. Probably nothing new to the intel crowd, but I've been on AMD since 1999 and it was new to me on my build the other day.

Thanks for replying!
The one issue I did experience was that I initially plugged my SATA disks into the Marvell controller for RAID 0 (I thought they were the only 2 6g ports on the board) and it caused me tonnes of issues, but it still posted ever time. Plugged my array into the Intel 6g ports and it worked the charm.

Yep - Been there almost 10 years ago and learned my lesson! That only takes once before you wise up to which ports are connected to which chipsets, etc.

Your situation confuses me a great deal.
You aren't the only one :bang head ( ;) )

and the only thing that comes to mind that wasn't mentioned is if you plugged in all 3 MB power connectors. Probably nothing new to the intel crowd, but I've been on AMD since 1999 and it was new to me on my build the other day.

By "3 MB Power Connections" - I'm assuming you are talking about the EPS 24-Pin, and the 8-Pin CPU Power (which can be 2x 4-pin plugs, but is actually a single plug on some PSU's)? If there is a "3rd" power port (beyond the two I mentioned) then someone needs to slap me as I'm a dunce! I certainly don't see a 3rd power port anywhere.

I was busy getting my other 2500K system up to 4.7GHz stable last night (had to remove the MoBo to swap the Heatsink) - but I should have a few more hours to play with the X79/3820 tonight (after work around midnight) before I ponder purchasing a different x79 MoBo (and likely take a restocking fee on my second Sabertooth). I just don't know what to try beyond that...

I do still have (2) of the i7-3820's in my possession - I still have a few weeks or so until I have to send back the initial 3820 for my refund - so if I do get a new MoBo, and both 3820's exhibit the same issue, I'll likely call it quits on LGA2011 as this has already cost me over $50 out-of-pocket for the "advance replacements" and useless Stock Heatsink. My 1366's, 1155's and 775's (and even 478's and 370's!) NEVER gave me any headaches like this! :rain:

I'll keep rambling on until I get this nailed (really think it is a MoBo issue), or until I quit LGA2011 (I will preferably persevere and keep my DIY PC record un-tarnished!) :cool:

Sorry, I still consider the 24pin a 20 pin and a 4 pin. It was the 8 pin CPU power I was referring to. The store I picked mine up from made me check the pins on the MB to ensure they weren't damaged because apparently Asus was sent them a lot of boards with bent pins recently, but apparently they're not hard to spot. I dunno man, sounds like you did everything right.

Thanks for the clarification. I shall inspect the 2011 socket with a magnifying glass tonight. With that many pins it would seem easy to have a few pins "out of spec" or get bent during production and/or assembly. And while odd, it would be possible to get two bad MoBo's in a row (I'm well overdue for some weird stuff like this as my PC track record has been practically perfect until now).

Back to work :cool:

I have the same issue, using a 3820 and have only tried 2 different sets of ram, (kingston and corsair). Both of which are NOT on the approved list, have the sets you've tried been on the approved list?

I have the same issue, using a 3820 and have only tried 2 different sets of ram, (kingston and corsair). Both of which are NOT on the approved list, have the sets you've tried been on the approved list?

Wow - Seriously? With the DRAM_LED and no POST?

I don't believe my particular sticks are on the QVL, but I can honestly say that in all of my builds, I've never gone as far as to use specific models based off the QVL (and I've built a LOT of systems). I do buy RAM based off its (marketing driven) "Designed for XXX systems" - and the primary RAM I was using is specifically designed to be run in Quad-Channel and approved for LGA2011 use.

I'm attempting ONE LAST MoBo RMA. It should be here on Weds, and I should have some news late Weds night. If it gives me the same DRAM_LED issues, I will likely try a different model of X79 MoBo - and then I'm giving up on this extremely expensive venture. If that's the case, I'll likely re-visit this a few months down the road as I do want to upgrade to LGA2011 for this particular Audio Production DAW PC...

I'm still smelling a BIOS Incompatibility with the i7-3820 - I'm not sure if our "DRAM_LED" issues would manifest themselves due to such a BIOS incompatibility (and the i7-3820 IS the newest batch of LGA2011 CPU's that I'm aware of). I believe the other X79 Sabertooth owners that have working systems are running 6-Core i7's...

Thanks for your reply SLeepyG - It is somewhat refreshing to know I'm not the only one pulling my hair out! :D And - It looks like you joined OCF today just to make that post (your first post here) - Thanks!!! :attn:

Thanks for the reply. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Do you know which BIOS your Sabertooth shipped with?
Did you ever use the "USB BIOS-Flashback" thing on the rear panel?
Which revision 3820 do you have?
Was the i7-3820 the first CPU you used in it, or did you initially start with a 6-Core?
Did you have any DRAM_LED issues at all, or was it smooth sailing like with any other 775/115/1366 build?

Thanks again guys - Hoping the 3rd MoBo will be the ticket...

Back