• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Waterblocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tingle

Registered
Hi,

I have just got my new innovatak water system, along with a innovateck GPU block. All is well with the cpu, nice and cool, however, the gpu is hotter than it was before with the normal fan.

I have it set up pump > res > CPU > GPU > rad > pump is that right? should it be any different?

Are there any programs i can get to monitor the temp of my GPU? (geforce 4 ti4600).

Thanks in advance

Tingle

I can tell its hotter just by putting my hand on it!

I havent put on the ram sinks yet so they are hotter, but the back of the card where the gpu is also seems to be a bit hotter :(

The cpu is staying at aroud 30C (one program says 29, another 32, another 33) whilst running coolerXP - program supplied by MSI that is meant to cool cpu down.

Would it be any better to split the line and run the two block in parallel?

This may be an unorthodox test, but are you able to OC the card further now then before you added the GPU waterblock? If so, I would say you don't have much to worry about because the waterblock is handling the additional heat better then the standard HSF was doing.

You also may want try reseating it again.

it is probably hotter to the touch because there is no longer airflow over the card from the fan on the gpu heatsink. the gpu itself is probably getting cooled well but the rest of the card isnt getting any cooling

Get a Compunurse or 2. They are invaluable for measuring temps anywhere in your case.

I think most people would recommend a
pump > res > GPU > CPU > rad > pump path.

The GPU would add "very" little heat to your water. Less than the CPU. So in effect, both would be cooled to the best of thier blocks.

slipknot said:
This may be an unorthodox test, but are you able to OC the card further now then before you added the GPU waterblock? If so, I would say you don't have much to worry about because the waterblock is handling the additional heat better then the standard HSF was doing.

You also may want try reseating it again.

Never overclocked it in the first place.

I already reseated it once, not sure about it though cos its only held on by 2 plastic bolts (provided with the block)

The GPU would add "very" little heat to your water. Less than the CPU. So in effect, both would be cooled to the best of thier blocks.

I cut some of the tubes to short so i need to re do them! I will try that now thanks

Tingle

BrianH2O said:
Get a Compunurse or 2. They are invaluable for measuring temps anywhere in your case.

Does it matter if i have the input of the cpu blck at the top and then the output at the bottom (in a tower case)? Currently i have it the other way roud so that water is always in there, but as long as the system is full there should never bye any air in right?

Check the surface of the GPU, it may need lapped. I have seen many articles that covered water cooling the Geforce line of cards and most of them stated that the top of the GPU was not level. If this is the case with your GPU then the block is not making good surface contact. Also I assume that you used AS3 when you mounted it. Try to lap the GPU and make it nice and level, then apply the AS3 and remount.

Buzzdog

Tingle

It depends on which cpu block you have. The maze 3 or similar which have a center input barb should be used as input. If you have a swiftech or similar, I do not think it matters.

I personally have never owned a swiftech, so if you tell us which one you have, perhaps some one who actaully owns one could tell you better that I could.

Check the surface of the GPU, it may need lapped. I have seen many articles that covered water cooling the Geforce line of cards and most of them stated that the top of the GPU was not level. If this is the case with your GPU then the block is not making good surface contact. Also I assume that you used AS3 when you mounted it. Try to lap the GPU and make it nice and level, then apply the AS3 and remount.

What is lapping? I used the silicon compund which came with it. When i took the block off all the compund seemed to have been in contact with the block so i think it was in contact with it all.

It depends on which cpu block you have. The maze 3 or similar which have a center input barb should be used as input. If you have a swiftech or similar, I do not think it matters.

I have an innovatek rev 3, one hole in each corner

Tingle

Make sure that the entire level of the top of your GPU heat spreader is even. Take a straight edge, like the edge of a credit card and sit it up top of the GPU. You should not see any thing uner the edge. If you do, then your GPU top is not smooth and even. To lap it, you start out with 600 grit wet/dry sanding paper. Add a bit of dish soap to a bowl in some water to help clean the sand paper and to help lubricate it. Place the sand paper in the water container, let the excess run off, then start to sanding on the top of the GPU. Us 6oo gritt until you are left with an even surface. Once you have reached a level surface, repeat the process with 800 gritt, then 1200gritt. After you have got the surface as smooth as possible with the 1200 gritt sandpaper, you need to pick up some rubbing compound. Use this until you start to see a mirror surface on the top of your GPU. Test again with a straight edge so you dont have any low or high spots on the heat spreader. Once they have all been removed, clean the surface with some acetone to remove any residue that is left over. Apply some AS3 per directions and mount. Let us know how it works for you.

Buzzdog

ur saying accualy sand the "CHIP" ?!?! how much play is there to do that, my GPU seems to be overheating and i'm trying to fix that i'll try this but i jsut wana make sure i read that right

You don't sand the chip if it's an "athlon" style core, i.e. the silicon is visible on top like the ATI radeon 9700's etc. A GeForce 3 is ok to lap, (I had one once) but I'm not sure about the Ti4200.

ummm i don't know about your gpu but mine after hard gaming is HOT (well the back of the card is anyway). I would recommend splitting the water flow and have each processor get fresh water. kind of tlike running them "in parallel" versus "in series". i think you will get a better temp for your ti 4600. if you look here: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=70679
you might get a better understanding of what i said...

what innovtech setup do you have cause im thinkin of buying one from highspeedpc and just wondering how you have yours set uup and if you like it...at what are you clocked at when your getting 30 temps? thanks ben

Back