• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

~ $100 to watercool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

I've been thinking of water cooling for a while now, and have $100 to spend. I know this has probably been asked a million times, but what do you guys recommend?

I mainly looking for something QUIET. Performance isn't really key, as long as it keeps me a little cooler. I'd be mainly interested in a w/c kit, but if you guys want to recommend separate parts, that'd be better than nothing. I'm planning on getting one of the antecs with space for 2 80mm's in the back, if thats a factor.

I want something that won't fall apart, but will be cheap and quiet.

I appreciate the help.

-CPFitz-

and yes....I have read the sticky:D:D

Last edited:
Aluminium Topped TC-4 Block
12' Clearflex 60
Delta Mid CFM 120mm fan
ViaAqua 1300

Total: $101.50 @ D-Tek.

Get a Heatercore from an auto parts store and make your own shroud for~@$25, :)

making a shroud, and getting a heatercore is a little beyond me:D Also, I won't be able to fit a 120mm fan.:(

I appreciate the help, but i'll have to keep checking around. Prolly end up getting the cheapo $89 kit in Cyber Deals:D

-CPFitz-

Can anyone tell me if you can fit a 120mm without severe modding into an antec/chieftech/chenming/etc.?

err...well...I don't have it yet. I'm only buying it if it'll work. Anyways...its one of those Alienware looking ones from antec, i believe the 1080 amg w/ window at newegg. I'll try to post a pic in the morning.

id say...
viaAqua1300
maze3
BImicro, or a heatercore (whichever is more convenient)
and find some 3/8" tubing.

thatll probably be ok for a first system.
i dunno really... i dont have w/c.

if u cant have a 120mm directly put to ur case maybe create a ducting solution to vent the heater core to both of the front 80mm intakes...

...i think the antec or cheiftech will work nicley. i think one of the greatest mid tower case for waster cooling is the one nikhisub has...

...btw buddy i know i spelt ur name wrong but i am extreamly tired please do forgive me, u guys should be able to find out who i ment name looks like that...

If you mean an Antec or Chieftec like this:

fcea984d.jpg

Then yes it will fit, but you'll have to take out the bottom HDD rack.

This is a pic of an older system of mine with a chevette heatercore and a 150mm fan. BTW I still run the heatercore/ fan/ shroud combo.

fcea984f.jpg

I would recommend waiting a little while longer and saving up your money. with only $100 you'll have to skimp in some places and you might cut corners, which is a good way to get a leaky system and roast your components. Save up another $30-$50 and do things right the first time. you won't be sorry. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

in wc you get what you pay for is what i have been hearing... i say go with NeoMoses and save up 50 more bucks and going the right way the first time..

alright, so what would $30-$50 more get me?

Do NOT want to spend more than ~230 for case + watercooling. Case is $85 shipped. So that leaves ~145 for watercooling.

-CPFitz-

I basically just want something that won't leak, will be EXTREMELY quiet, and will perform better than a hsf.

Well what I posted, of course, :rolleyes::D:D:D

Seriously though replace what I suggested with a heater core/shroud combo with your choice of 120mm fan (from the suppliers listed in the sticky). If you have the cash I would also upgrade to an Eheim 1048, budget allowing, :)

how quiet will the delta be w/o a rheostat?

i want something inaudible:D

ohh...and I need a waterblock that can be mounted on a p4 478. Probably should have said that a while ago.

Thanks for the help guys.

-CPFitz-

Last edited:
Fan, or HSF? 2 80mm's generic. And hsf is a Dragon Orb 478 hairdryer:D

-CPFitz-

I do have 3 speed adjustible switch from my hsf though, I could use that on the delta if it was too loud, right?

NeoMoses said:
I would recommend waiting a little while longer and saving up your money. with only $100 you'll have to skimp in some places and you might cut corners, which is a good way to get a leaky system and roast your components. Save up another $30-$50 and do things right the first time. you won't be sorry. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

I did mine with about 60$ of cash, still runnin ;)

srecet is patience, and shopping. Get your fans very cheap from the classifieds on the forum, heatercore for ~14 bucks at a auto shop, etc.

Back