• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APC UPS unhappy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arbiter Odie

I was running prime 95 to make sure my current overclock was stable. The computer has been acting strangely for the past few days, so I figured it was time to double check. Everything was fine for the first ten minutes.

Then, while I was web-browsing (with prime95 still going), my UPS (an APC ES 550) clicked twice, my computer and screens lost power, and the UPS started beeping over and over again. I turned it off, re-arranged the plugs, and turned the computer back on. It's still alive, thankfully.

So, I guess the question it, what happened? And how do I keep it from happening again in the future? My computer specs are listed in my signature, and are mostly up to date.

Thank you,
Arbiter Odie

You're running your entire OC'd computer and monitors through a 330 watt UPS?

Yep.
You need to find an online wattage calculator that you can plug in your hardware and get a wattage (high) number from. A PSU calculator will do.
Add that number to the monitor's wattage total, add 15-20% for headroom/longevity, and then go shopping with that new number in mind.

I don't know of any calculators personally, but if your computer itself is running good off the 550W Kingwin, you could wing it with that as your computer wattage, then add monitors.

Effectively what you're doing is expecting the APC's circuitry to pass 600+ watts through it's circuits designed for 330 watts.
Surprised it hasn't failed altogether actually. Be glad that they too plan for headroom!

Wow. Thank you for warning me! I think I'll find a good surge protector/power strip for the time being (I can't afford a bigger UPS). Do I need to worry about wattage on those too?

For instance,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812106085

It appears to handle 15 amps output at 120 volts. Therefore, it would have no problem handling my computer, correct?

Additionally, can I temporarily solve the problem by moving my power cables over to the surge protected only side? Are those affected by the 330 watt maximum draw limit? Or are they safe to use?

15 amps at 120v is 1800 watts.

The 330 watt limit of the UPS should be through the battery protected outputs only, so moving it over to the surge protector side should alleviate the problem.

Wow. Thank you for warning me! I think I'll find a good surge protector/power strip for the time being (I can't afford a bigger UPS). Do I need to worry about wattage on those too?

For instance,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812106085

It appears to handle 15 amps output at 120 volts. Therefore, it would have no problem handling my computer, correct?

Additionally, can I temporarily solve the problem by moving my power cables over to the surge protected only side? Are those affected by the 330 watt maximum draw limit? Or are they safe to use?

You can omit your monitor from the battery backup side and put it only on the surge side. If you happen to have a printer plugged in there, remove that too to the surge side

Diggr's correct, running Prime and surfing with an overclocked system is taking your UPS over it's 330W backup limit or too close to it.

FYI, this rig is using the same UPS you have and my other one is an APC 650. I know, I should reverse them but when I'm checking overclocks with Orthos / Prime95, I unplug what's not needed on the battery backup side (monitor) and I'm fine.

You guys are awesome.

@rolling Thunder: I don't have anything but the computer and two monitors attached to the battery backup side. I'll move the monitors and see if that helps.

@Thideras: Done, plugs relocated.

Thank you everybody!

Back